Introduction

Options
crawpapa
crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
I have been following 5/3/1 for exactly three months. How do I know? Because I just completed the 5/3/1 BBB 3-month challenge and made some HUGE gains! My previous max for overhead press was 135 x 1; after the challenge was 150 x 3! That might not be a huge number to some people, but 135lbs was a sticking point for me, and 5/3/1 helped me get through that plateau. I would love to hear about any of your success stories, or just a basic intro.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am on my 7th cycle currently (I did a reset after the first 3 cycles, as I think I started out a little too heavy). Really loving it. I'm literally at the strongest I've been in my life, and this is all while in a calorie deficit no less. Can't wait to see the gains once I start eating at maintenance or above!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    In.

I ran about 6-7 months of 5/3/1 from November of last year until sometime this year.

Doing 5x5 at the moment but I'll be back to 5/3/1 again I'm sure. I loved it and it really helped my deads.
  • bksmith83
    bksmith83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't normally post, but I am currently into my second cycle of 5/3/1 and it is making me feel like a beast. I like the focus on one big lift for the day. I did 5x5 on and off for most of last year but as the weights increased I started running out of time at the gym since I go at lunch. Anyway I wish the best of luck to everyone here.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm still getting lifts up on SS but will be switching to 5/3/1 in a couple months or so
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm still getting lifts up on SS but will be switching to 5/3/1 in a couple months or so

This is a great path to take. Definitely milk SS for all you can.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I ran about 6 cycles of 5/3/1 and it taught me a hell of a lot about programming. I think im probably not strong enough to be doing 5/3/1 but i like the discipline and general philosophy of it. I will probably switch to Texas or Madcow as i think i can make better gains on it. But i will definately come back to 5/3/1 when im a bit more advanced and this will be a good group to mooch around in
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I ran about 6 cycles of 5/3/1 and it taught me a hell of a lot about programming. I think im probably not strong enough to be doing 5/3/1 but i like the discipline and general philosophy of it. I will probably switch to Texas or Madcow as i think i can make better gains on it. But i will definately come back to 5/3/1 when im a bit more advanced and this will be a good group to mooch around in

At the least I'd 5x5 for a 9 week block with Madcows. Then reset numbers and come back to 5/3/1.
    The squatting frequency made me so comfortable under heavy weight.
  • crawpapa
    Options
    The CONSTANT squatting is why I switched from Starting Strength to 5/3/1.....I made some great gains with SS, but it was just SO redundant, and my legs needed a bigger break than one day.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    i just finished my second cycle of 5/3/1 and I had some pretty impressive gains, 13% increase on my dead lift, 8% increase on my bench, 6% on my squat and 11% on my OHP.
  • crawpapa
    Options
    Sounds like you hit a good stride....I am still having fun with the accessory work, and will move things around at the last minute, but keep the main lift as is.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I am only on my first mesocycle week two. Bench is seeming easier than when I stalled on upper body lifts during stronglift programme previously. Cannot wait to lift more on the overhead press which stumps a lot of women early on. I am missing the barbell rows a bit though (although doing heavy single arm dumbell rows instead for assistance)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I am only on my first mesocycle week two. Bench is seeming easier than when I stalled on upper body lifts during stronglift programme previously. Cannot wait to lift more on the overhead press which stumps a lot of women early on. I am missing the barbell rows a bit though (although doing heavy single arm dumbell rows instead for assistance)

Why can't you do BB rows?
  • nexangelus
    Options
    I can and I lift 70kg...they aren't included in the main lifts in Wendler's programme though, that is what I meant. Might keep them in, but work them the same way the other four lifts are worked.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Well you could pic any additional lifts to do. I haven't read the book yet to make sure it makes sense, but I plan to run BBB and have a day of

Bench 5/3/1
    DB OHP BBB
    BB Rows 5/3/1
    Chinups

and then

OHP 5/3/1
    Inc DB press BBB
    DB rows
    Pullups
  • crawpapa
    Options
    so you are going to be doing 5/3/1 of TWO main lifts in one day? The Bench and then Rows? Seems like that would be lot for 5/3/1, but not overly so if using the rows as an accessory lift. I don't think I would want to tackle two 5/3/1 lifts in one day. Let us know how it works out.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    so you are going to be doing 5/3/1 of TWO main lifts in one day? The Bench and then Rows? Seems like that would be lot for 5/3/1, but not overly so if using the rows as an accessory lift. I don't think I would want to tackle two 5/3/1 lifts in one day. Let us know how it works out.

Yeah it doesn't really treat rows as a main lift so the only option is to do that or add a 5th day which i dont want to do. There is a 3 day template that has two of the main lifts done 5/3/1 style on one day. I think it is bench and ohp but haven't seen it in awhile. I am still not sure it will be harder than PRing 5 rep sets of squats, bench, and deadlift or squats, ohp and power cleans all in one day three days per week every week minus stalls\resets
  • nexangelus
    Options
    I do two of the 5/3/1 lifts in one day and with time left over I still do pull ups, one arm rows, etc...my bench has increased after a major stall doing stronglifts...yay!
  • nexangelus
    Options
    I've also worked the barbell rows into the programme. Haven't lost any strength, so big smiles here!
  • crawpapa
    Options
    I'm trying to re-energize this forum, and hope you all contribute. I've recently re-started my journey after finishing my Master's degree, which ate all my time, and I saw a huge decline in energy and strength, as well as an increase in my waist....not a good combination. So I just finished my first cycle of 5/3/1 doing ONLY the main lifts, with first-set-last, to get myself back into the lifting. With the first deload coming up, I will start again with the assistance lifts using triumvirate, which seems to work best for me. I can't imagine doing the BBB assistance. Hope everyone is still lifting heavy weights crazily!