IT band issues what works?

Options
s35keith
s35keith Posts: 121 Member
I'm having some IT band issues, I've spent alot of time online researching. My question is what works/doesn't work for you?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Do you have a foam roller? I recommend one!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    ^^Foam roller. It's kept me pretty injury free for the last two years. The only time I get hurt now is when I do something stupid... which happens more than I'd like to admit.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1) foam roller
    2) strength training
    3) properly fitted shoes
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Foam roller after every run, stretching (http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099) and a good sports massage therapist. I missed 6 weeks of running last year with ITBS, my massage therapist (when I finally conceded I needed help) had me running again after 2 sessions, she also taught me how to use the foam roller properly (it can be unpleasant at times if you're doing it right) and I've gone a year injury free.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Foam Roller
    ART Treatments www.activerelease.com
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I use the foam roller and do some stretches before and after every run. It got better really fast once I started doing that. It doesn't even hurt to use the foam roller anymore, which I consider a really good sign, but I still do it.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Ice - 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off, 3 times a session, twice daily.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Ice - 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off, 3 times a session, twice daily.

Where? The IT Band runs from below the knee to the hip and glutes. Oftentimes the pain in the knee is not indicative of where the real issue lies with the IT Band.
  • gorunjogger
    Options
    In addition to the foam rollers, lay flat on your back, bend your knee and pull towards your chest for 3 minutes per leg. Do this everyday and you'll feel the difference.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    1) foam roller
    2) strength training
    3) properly fitted shoes

^^^^ THIS!!!! Everytime my ITB flares up it's because I have increased my running distance and decreased my strength training. OR because I am due for some new running shoes. The only thing that keeps it at bay is foam rolling before and after my run and I also take glucosamine/chondroitin which is a joint supplement since I do feel it helps my knees.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    A great massage therapist!

Strengthening your hips is a key to prevention.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Foam Roller
    ART Treatments www.activerelease.com

ART is amazing!!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A lot of good things suggested here... foam roller, ice, strengthening exercises, are all good.

For me, what really worked was just complete rest. I had to put my ego, pride, stubbornness, and love for running aside for the sake of healing. Mine was so bad that I dropped out of a marathon I had trained so hard for. It sucked. I was sidelined for 3 whole months. Didn't run at all.

But I came back healed, stronger, and faster, and since then got my redemption on that marathon and then some!

Do what works for you, and if you're contemplating doing a race on an injured leg, ask yourself if it is worth it. There are always going to be races.

p.s. I love my foam roller!
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for all the great advice I can always count on my MFP buds! Went out and got a foam roller, working on hip/leg strength,and I'm looking for a good massage therapist.. Sadly I have also cut way back on my running, looking forward to better days. Thanks again all!!!:bigsmile:
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes, the MFPers really know what they are talking about! (Well, at least the ones who responded to my cry for help on this problem!) I followed their advice and have not had a problem since! The foam roller has done wonders, and I added some strengthening exercises that I found on Runner's World. I also followed the suggestion to try yoga, and I recently found a great instructor who knows what runners need.

Good luck!