Many Indian food items do not find mention in MFP

Options
Many Indian items do not find mention in MFP database, especially the regional delicacies. How do you keep log of such items on MFP?

Replies

• WackyCocoa
    Options
    I mostly search for them online and add it here for everyone to use. Else you can create your own recipes in the app and add the ingredients, it'll will create the calorie count for you. Thats what I do usually!
  • satishpendse
    satishpendse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks Neha.
  • rohitvgfit
    rohitvgfit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since we are a small number here, we would have to keep updating and additing to that database. Slowly and steadily I am we will have most things there. Usually If I dont find my dishes here, and I am unaware of the numbers, I susbstitute with another similar dish.
    However atleast 70% of my usage items are updated.. so its kind of good !!
  • satishpendse
    satishpendse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. We will implement. You have lost weight quite well.
  • Mawra
    Mawra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Since we are a small number here, we would have to keep updating and additing to that database. Slowly and steadily I am we will have most things there. Usually If I dont find my dishes here, and I am unaware of the numbers, I susbstitute with another similar dish.
    However atleast 70% of my usage items are updated.. so its kind of good !!

Right i agree, you do have a lot of indian dishes mentioned but I'm a bit doubtful about their actual caloric content. So i do look up on the internet to verify.
  • rohitvgfit
    Options
    Great. Please do let me know the websites, so i can also check on them and keep updating this site.
    Cheers !
  • rohitvgfit
    Options
    Thanks Satish. I have been upto it for about 3 months now... Have hit a playue in last 3 weeks, but I am sure I will break through it... Lets see. Cheers
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Recipes section and adding my own recipes, I check the calorie content of ingredients online. The issue is when people aren't good at logging the calorie and other values for raw ingredients, or use measures (like a US cup) which can be awkward to convert.
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My wife is a Food and Nutrition expert. If I dont find a desi food here, I will ask her.

I will try to find some other desi food that is listed here - and log it to the required calorie level.

I never figured it out how to upload recipes and calories. If somebody knows how to, then pls do share. It would be nice. I may try some Southie dishes next time.

-AI
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I never figured it out how to upload recipes and calories. If somebody knows how to, then pls do share. It would be nice. I may try some Southie dishes next time.
    -AI
    To keep track of recipes for yourself via the website Food Tab ->Recipes - click the Enter New Recipe button and away you go entering quantities of ingredients number of servings etc
    On the mobile app (and this is just looking at my iphone) from the main screen More -> Edit Foods & Exercises -> My Recipes -> tap the + icon in the top right hand corner and as with the web version away you go!

Once you've completed entering your recipe you have the option to submit the it to the MyFitnessPal database - I've not done this.

Hope this helps
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch !! I will try that.

For example - I dint get anything for 'Ragi Upma'. Now I have a chance to try your way! ;)

Cheers
    AI