Anti anxiety medication and weight gain

Options
ALH1981
ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
Does anyone take medication for anxiety? What side effects have you noticed? Esp. Weight gain?? what types?

Replies

• gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping others will answer. I don't take anything.
  • ALH1981
    Options
    i''ve been prescribed lexapro or Wellbutrin - any comment on either?
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was on Elavil for a while and I'm not sure if it caused weight gain or not. I did put on 30 lbs within 6 months or so before I got pregnant with my son and come to think of it I had started taking the elavil around that time for bad anxiety. I was on it for a while post-partum though and I didn't gain weight. Very interesting thought!
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am on Cymbalta for my anxiety and it has been the best for me so far! At first I was stomach sick, shaky etc, but no side effects at all now. I went into a depression and was put on Wellbutrin, feeling good now.
    Neither has affected my weight, gain or loss.
  • ALH1981
    Options
    I am on Cymbalta for my anxiety and it has been the best for me so far! At first I was stomach sick, shaky etc, but no side effects at all now. I went into a depression and was put on Wellbutrin, feeling good now.
    Neither has affected my weight, gain or loss.

so you are on cymbalta or wellbutrin???? i have been recommended wellbrutrin?
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Both :). Cymbalta specifically for GAD.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro a couple of years ago and it made me ravenously hungry. I mean hungry like a bear waking up from hibernation - every day. Yes, I gained weight! It also made me so tired that I felt like I needed to start hibernating. Now I'm on Buspar, I think it works just as well and I'm not noticing any crazy hunger or fatigue. In fact, I think the Buspar is keeping me from doing as much emotional eating because I feel calmer.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    I've never had a problem with weight regulations due to medication. Afraid I haven't much help on this topic, but a damn good one! It mixes anxiety with weight gain, which are the two reasons why we are here.
  • AnotherAustinGirl
    AnotherAustinGirl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have been taking nortriptyline for a couple of years. I don't think it contributed to weight gain. I don't seem to need help with that! I was on it for awhile several years ago as well. I gained more weight during the time I was off of it, a period of about six years.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    When I was on Zoloft I gained 30 pounds while going to the gym an hour to two hours a day and doing WW (which i still do now) I got off that and went to lexapro and have not had weight gain at all.
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I take Celexa and have put on about 40lbs since Istarted taking it about 4yrs ago. Before that, I was on Paxil for 8 years with the same weight gain results. I have lost some since being on MFP, but I still have a long way to go. My problem is that most meds make me lazy and not very determined to eat right or exercise.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I am on Lexapro and Klonopin and im not losing any weight AT ALL despite going to the gym five times a week and watching my calories carefully. While my anxiety and depersonalization have significantly reduced, this is very frustrating. I don't know if the meds are some how causing my metabolism to slow down drastically or wtf is going on. I want to get off my meds but it will be a while for that to happen. Im not ravenously hungry so that isn't the reason Im not losing weight. Does anyone know specifically why this is happening?
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I know this is old but I've been taking prozac since the end of September and gained 20 pounds. I know its not the medication itself but my eating habits have changed drastically. Im constantly hungry and always craving sugar and carbs. Going to try and stick it out until I see my Dr. at the end of the month and possibly change meds. Dont know that I can survive another 20 pound gain : /
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I took Prozac for 6 months and gained 50 lb. Later, I started taking celexa and even though I have been avidly watching my calories and working my buns off at the gym, I didn't lose ANYTHING. I read many places that Celexa causes weight gain, so maybe the weight I was gaining from that and losing from my lifestyle change were evening themselves out. Now, I'm on Wellbutrin for ADHD and it has decreased my appetite a lot. I've been taking it for a month and I've already lost some weight without going to the gym and having several bad nutrition days because it was my birthday. :) I am still taking Celexa with Wellutrin, but I hope to stop Celexa soon.
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I take lexapro and have gained a little weight... 5 pounds.. I have been on it for three years.. and feel like it has given me my life back... to i wouldnt trade the little weight gain for anything...:) I suffered from severe panic attacks and it has been a lifesaver..but I started it in conjunction with therapy...At first it makes you really sluggish and weird feeling but within a week I was back to normal. I would suggest if you start it take it at night to begin.. pm me if you have questions.. and remember what works for one may not work for you its all trial and error..but there is no shame in taking something.. you would take an antibiotic if you were sick.. this is no different...good luck
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I take lexapro and have gained a little weight... 5 pounds.. I have been on it for three years.. and feel like it has given me my life back...

Amen to this. If I would, I could kiss the feet of the makers of Lexapro LOL. I thought I was stuck in the anxiety / depersonalization fog for the rest of my days but within a week I began noticing a remarkable change. Cheers to modern medicine.
  • ALH1981
    Options
    What about Paxil - any comment?
  • natsmom118
    natsmom118 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I take clonopine for my G.A.D No weight gain though. *knocks on wood* :)

Add me.. I need some anxious Fitness Pal friends. haha
  • itbepanda
    itbepanda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I took Paxil for a couple of months and gained around 40 pounds. I would be eating without even realizing it and craved carbs like crazy. I really wanted bread and pasta!
    Pretty much all the anti-depressant medications I tried did make me gain, but Paxil was by far the most extreme. It was also the last I tried! It might have been different had any of them helped the symptoms at all :(
  • AriaDragonfly
    AriaDragonfly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lost 15lbs on wellbutrin, but it didn't help otherwise so they switched me to cymbalta which did nothing so they switched me to savella which gives me hotflashes. Then they put me on remeron and I was eating everything in sight, gained 10lbs, got off of it. Now I'm on Lyrica which helps me be more social, no bad side effects, savella still and flexeril. Not seeing lots of improvement, but slight and no weight changes.