When to see an ortho vs. a PT

Options
Hello all. I've been dealing with what I thought was a shin splint for a month now. I've taken many days off, iced, used compression socks, get to feeling pretty good, and then as soon as I try to run, I feel like I'm back at square one. I decided that maybe it's time to consult with a running coach to ensure that my form is not what is causing the injury, so I emailed three in my area. Two of them have responded so far. One suggested I talk to a doctor, which was actually my first instinct. The second deferred me to a PT. So my question is, should I consult with an ortho first, and then look into PT, or should I start with a PT and see if he refers me to a doctor? I already have an appointment made with an ortho for Thursday, but I can cancel it if I need to. What would you guys do?

Tammy

Replies

• bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've always started with the doctor, for a couple of reasons:

-at least with my health insurance you need an ortho to write a prescription for the PT
    -the PT will probably ask if you've had xrays/MRIs/etc done---not that you necessarily need to, but for my latest round of PT I was able to say, "no MRIs or Xrays, the ortho popped my kneecap back and did some physical testing to make sure everything's in place properly." So they know there's no structural injury that would need to be fixed.

/2cents
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I will keep my appointment, and then, if the doctor refers me to a PT, I already have one picked out. I appreciate your insight!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I went to PT first, and he documented the issues, videotaped my gait, etc. and then referred me to an ortho.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I went to PT first, and he documented the issues, videotaped my gait, etc. and then referred me to an ortho.

Thanks for your reply, Pdworkman. I am going to keep my appointment with the ortho, and then if he refers me to a PT, I'll go. I will also start working with a running coach just as soon as I get the all clear, so I am cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to run my half in February. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I can't get an ortho to refer me to a PT, without discussing surgery with me first. Uh, no way, I typically go to my regular MD, have them rule out anything broken, then seek massage therapy or PT by referral so insurance pays it.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I thought I had shin splints...would hurt terribly and would go away when I stopped running. Found out it is a compartment syndrome. The blood would go into the shin and cant get out.happens a lot in shorter women. Funny way mine got cured was a motorcycle accident. The same shin was heavily banged up and the swelling wouldn't subside so the PT used ultrasound and heat to open the blood vessels. Also a locked up ankle makes shins stiff. PTs dont always know so it's trial and error.