Best. Purchase. EVER. :smile:

Options
maurierose
maurierose Posts: 574 Member
Sooo... being high risk, knowing my complications and issues.... I have been stressing so much about this littlest one of ours. Talked it over with my hubby, did my homework, read recommendations.... purchased a fetal doppler that arrived today.

O. M. G. :love: Took some playing around and that good ol irish stubb.....err....determination :tongue: but hearing that little racehorse heartbeat for the very first time together, in our own comfortable place, was priceless tonight (haven't even heard it at the dr's yet!!)

Knowing I can do my own checking and at least know there is a heartbeat is going to give me so much peace of mind. Awesome stuff for sure. A very heartfelt thanks to the ladies here who talked about their experiences and shared their own info that resulted in me finding a good one that wil get me through until this little one starts kicking those sweet little feet!. Much appreciated!

Replies

• mdelynn01
    mdelynn01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That's great:) I know I would be worried and I'm not high risk so I can't imagine how you feel. This should ease your worries and help with a successful pregnancy even more.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - I bought one around 11 weeks and it was the best thing I did! Mine was $55 on fetaldoppler.net and I got the Sonoline B...it's awesome. At first, we listened a lot more, but now I do it probably once a week (I'm 20 weeks). So comforting!
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! We have had a handful of issues with bleeding too. Unfortunately i think it would just multiply my concerns, last time we were at the doc he couldn't find the heartbeat on the doppler so he sent us for a stat ultrasound....prehaps if he can find it after this next visit though I'd consider purchasing one
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I agree! I love my doppler too :))) Saved me from a couple of meltdowns as I've been prone to bleeding.

A pointer - aloe vera gel works great in place of the u/s gel.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! We have had a handful of issues with bleeding too. Unfortunately i think it would just multiply my concerns, last time we were at the doc he couldn't find the heartbeat on the doppler so he sent us for a stat ultrasound....prehaps if he can find it after this next visit though I'd consider purchasing one
    The first time we went to listen to the heart beat via doppler the nurse couldn't get a steady read on the heartbeat because the baby was moving around too much. I found out later from a friend who's expecting her second that if you eat too close to an appt the baby will be more active and the noise he/she makes moving around interferes with the doppler's reading. So now I try not to eat within 2 hrs of an appt. Has seemed to help at all my appts since then anyway.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Still considering picking up the Sonoline B mentioned above by FitMama. Someone's selling theirs locally on Craigslist for $60... I can buy it new for $55 with free shipping (at fetaldoppler.net, also mentioned above). Do you ever want to e-mail someone on Craigslist with a link to the new item for less? I do. But I don't want to feel like a jerk, either, so I won't.

Glad someone else is happy they bought one. I'll be 8w on Sunday, so it's still early for me to use it. I saw my OB today, who said my uterus feels "nice and big," so I don't know if that means it's more obvious, and I might be able to find a heartbeat earlier? (I wasn't offended by her comment because she spent 3/4 of the appointment telling me how awesome I looked and how proud of me she was for getting healthy, working out consistently, and losing so much weight. She also said that you show earlier in second and later pregnancies, so her comment was somewhat expected given that this is my second.)
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Em, how far along are you? Chances are, you have more time/patience than a quick dr's visit will allow at times..... I've been able to find our baby's heartbeat long before our doc would even try (he's used ultrasound, just not the doppler yet). If you get the right probe (3.0 instead of 2.0, it's easier to hear a tiny heartbeat with) they say you can hear as early as 8-10 weeks. Just a thought! We're 17 weeks now, and it's a piece of cake to find our LO's heartbeat with it. Of course, some folks have their placenta in the way, etc.... so not everyone can make it work, but I still use mine frequently and love the peace of mind. How's the bleeding going?

RBX, I'm always tempted to do the same - I guess those folks may have purchased it for way higher than it's now selling - it's even dropped in price since we bought ours and that was only a few months ago! I used the same site mentioned, and got it REALLY fast. As for showing earlier - that's definitely the case for me! (Granted, this is our 4th. :tongue: ) but my last pregnancy, I was the opposite.... folks at work still didn't know I was pregnant until 5-6 months along. Strange how differently our bodies can behave at different times! How are you feeling? Bet it was great to be able to see your OB this early, it sure gives a lot of peace-of-mind!

Lilchino - Interesting stuff, glad that's working out for you! I did the opposite a couple times, but eating actually helped me find the heartbeat because I suspect the baby was comfy and not laying where it was in hearing range.... but a wiggly tiny little thing sure makes it hard to "track" or listen in on! Sure can give you a sinking feeling when they can't find the heartbeat - and such a flood of relief when it's found or seen on ultrasound!

Servilia - I am sooooo with you - I would have been in a panic a few times (probably mostly emotional and not so much physical) had I not been able to check on things myself, I'm sure I would have been at the dr's a lot more frequently for sanity checks. LOL I haven't tried the aloe vera gel yet but may when my "gel" runs out (or IF it runs out)! I ordered a big tube of ultrasound gel from amazon, it was under $6 with the free 2day shipping that comes with the prime membership.... the awesome thing about it is that I can use it on my Polar HRM strap later on (funny how we justify these silly purchases in our heads, isn't it? LOL) Hope things are going better with the bleeding! I haven't spotted in weeks, but can't move away from the white toilet paper in every bathroom and checking every single time I use it..... :blushing:
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Right?! I lost 3 babies before this one. Nothing pulled me out of my first trimester slump like my sonoline B! It's my crack pipe!
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I bought mine for $35 on Craigslist and have been listening to my sweet babe since early in week 9.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I bought mine for $35 on Craigslist and have been listening to my sweet babe since early in week 9.

Good to know that you've been able to hear him/her so early!!!