Arthritis and Exercise

Options
Hi, I'm new here. I had given up for so long on myself, have so much weight to lose and just didn't care anymore. I have a bad hip and knee and walking is sometimes so painful. Does anyone know any exercises that don't put any stress on your hips that can be done at home. I work really long days and when I get home at night just not able to go out to a pool or something. Or would you know of a web site where I might find something. Thanks for any help you can give me. Cass

Replies

• NinjaBeth90
    Options
    Hey, congrats on making the choice to start your journey and welcome :) I joined around 3 months ago. One of the best decisions i ever made. I understand how you feel in relation to pain in your knees. I have Arthritis also.
    Have you tried using an exercise bike on a low intensity - try for like 10 mins first then work up however much you can get comfortable with. . If you have a Wii i really enjoy the Wii boxing and the little exercises on Wii fit.
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Might be worth looking on youtube for resistance band exercises. You can do them seated, if needed, and a set of resistance bands costs very little.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I like the wii.
    I go on the jogging but i do it in the chair when my legs are bad and give it welly with just arm movements and bounce about a bit in the chair....still burns calories and quite puffs me out.

Resistence bands are a good idea too and helps strength training.

A bit of bed dancing is good too. If like me you cant get straight out of bed in the morning, do a gentle morning wriggle for ten mins or so to your radio alarm, helps loosen you up a bit too for the start of the day.