How Low-Carb do you go? TTC and non-TTC pls.

Options
Hi ladies! I'd been struggling to lose weight - appropriate TDEE consumption and exercise were all in place - for months. Then I got my PCOS diagnosis and learned that PCOS is on a tandem bike with insulin resistance. Long story short, I started a low carb diet soon after. I've been on it for two weeks and I aim for 20% (maybe 15%?) of my intake to be from carbs - about 90 g/day. I go about 10g higher or lower each day for one reason or another, and I haven't been stricter with myself because I've lost 4 lbs in the last two weeks! Finally success!

Anyway, how low do you guys go when you're not TTC? (I'm currently not). If you're TTC, how low are you going? If you got pregnant while low carbing, how low were you going/did you think that it helped?

Replies

• thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I try to get 30 g or less per meal for under 71 grams a day and I find it's challenging as far as planning, but liveable. (Although if you look at my food diary you'll see I haven't really been hitting that mark lately :/) Oh, and I'm not TTC yet, but trying to get to a lower weight to give me a better chance when we're ready.
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that by counting my sugars (you can set MFP to show sugar in your daily food log) I'm automatically eating lower carb. I'm aiming for about 28g of sugar a day or less. It's really hard since that's what I crave. I'm also focused on eating protein throughout the day to try to keep my hunger at bay. I lost 6 pounds in the first 1.5-2 weeks. Probably a lot of water weight but, holy cow! I've never seen a result like this!

BTW, I might send you girls a friend request - maybe we can share some ideas as to how to tackle this :)
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the requests and the feedback :) Yay, new friends!

Caguppie, I've been recently introduced to the sugar counting/anti-fructose approach to this. I haven't been eating much fruit in the past two weeks purely by chance, and I actually feel a lot better than I did before. When I get more organized I might try counting sugar - I'm impressed with your results, and I don't think that would totally be water weight! Do you track your carbs/fiber at all? I do a lot of protein too, or as much as possible, and it definitely helps with hunger.

Singer, I'm in exactly the same place! Not TTC now for various reasons, but definitely losing weight for that reason. I haven't been hitting my marks either, but because I'm apt to get discouraged, and because what I'm able to do is working, I'm choosing not to be hard on myself. How did you get your 71g/day? Are you net carbing? Regardless of whether you hit your marks, I'm going to look at your diary for ideas!
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Aw Gup could you PM me your food diary key, if you don't mind? I would love to see how someone does low sugar.
  • Karrrrl
    Karrrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    2 years ago I managed to lose a lot of weight following a low-carb diet after being diagnosed with pcos. (Having to restart since meeting my boyfriend who made me forget that carbs are not my friends)
    Anyway this webpage was literally my bible
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz29JS43r7o
    After reading this I try and stick around the 50g level as Ketosis really does make me feel sick, whilst hovering around the grey area between the two tends to give me a lot more energy and usually means I'm less hungry throughout the day.
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link karrrrl! i need to check it out!

@beautiful Ide: I set my food log to track calories, saturated fat, protein, carbs, sugar & fiber. i will message the password, but omg, it's embarrassing! I'm STRUGGLING to figure this out. I haven't been meal planning or doing any of the things i need to do! between weird work schedules & now traveling my food is crazy. i just keep trying! dove chocolates, strawberries, xylitol gum, peanut butter and granny smith apples seem to be my sugar fixes for now!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I think I need to start watching my carb intake more - I have to some extent, but I'm having such a hard time getting the weight off even watching my calories and exercise frequently. I have PCOS as well and I think to some extent I have sort of avoiding that I have to diet differently than those around me and give up the things that I have grown "attached" to over the years....like delicious bread (which I never eat anymore) and ice cream.

I'm getting married in a few months and I haven't lost nearly the amount that I was hoping to by this point. While my other friends have lost 14 or more lbs I've lost 10. And that's taken me forever!

I wish I knew what to do about - but I'd love to at least lose 1 -2 lbs a week, but it's every other week right now.