Question about Ab excercise

Options
I have a question about the ab excercise where your legs go up and you lift your butt of the floor a bit.

I've had surgeries and have had a good portion of my ab muscles removed...I'm not sure which ones though. Anyway when I try to do this move I can't at all. It's not even like it hurts so I stop. It's more like there is nothing there to pull with. I'm guessing I'm missing these muscles. When you do this excercise, what area of the ab are you using?

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Lower abs.
    Are you sure they removed muscle? I can't think of any abdominal surgery where the surgeon actually removed muscle. They cut through the fascia, then spread the muscles with retractors. (I'm a medical transcriptionist for almost 40 years.)

I remember that it took awhile to be able to re-engage my abdominal muscles after a cesarean section. They get cranky after being spread like that.
  • neasy23
    neasy23 Posts: 47
    Options
    Yup, as per the plastic surgeon. I've had about 8-9 abdominal surgeries over 12 years. I have ovarian cancer and they have removed muscle to rid my of pesky tumors!
  • neasy23
    neasy23 Posts: 47
    Options
    BTW - what transcription co do you work for, or do you have your own? I do proofreading for a med trans company!
  • stefaiman
    Options
    Lower abs.
    Are you sure they removed muscle? I can't think of any abdominal surgery where the surgeon actually removed muscle. They cut through the fascia, then spread the muscles with retractors. (I'm a medical transcriptionist for almost 40 years.)

I remember that it took awhile to be able to re-engage my abdominal muscles after a cesarean section. They get cranky after being spread like that.

Yes this is my problem I am post-op 3 months after c-section and I am afraid I am doing too much ab work (i am on Level 3 of the shred) I have not had pain for about 2 months and this past week moved up to level 3 and I am getting that burning/pinching feeling again in my incisional area. I am a nurse and I am very worried, however it is negatively impacting my weight loss now :(