Daily Calories Consumed?

Options
jomckillop
jomckillop Posts: 19 Member
Hi
I just wondered how many calories everyone is eating during their 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters?
If there are some still trying to lose weight, then what is the lowest calories a pregnant woman should eat per day?

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I ate around 2000 in the first, although I usually went over because I was so hungry, around 2300 in the second, and now in the third I'm eating around 2450, sometimes less and sometimes more...I just listen to my body. I would talk to your doctor about how much you should eat, if you are of normal weight, I wouldn't eat much below maintenance.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    1960 in my 1st trimester...trying not to gain 50 pounds like i did with my 1st 2 kids
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to ask your doctor about this. We are all different in which amount of calories we need and what makes us gain. I am in my third trimester and still eat below maintenance and am gaining weight like crazy, 30 weeks and up 42lbs ( I started at a healthy weight too)
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think every woman is different based on the health and weight she was at when she first started. I was still considered obese (even though i lost 25 lbs between this pregnancy and my last). Since I am considered obese I am not required to eat my maintenance calories. I am in my 3rd trimester and I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day and I am still steadily gaining weight. I also walk about an hour a day.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I'm a registered midwife in Canada and council women on nutrition in pregnancy all day :) Many women are shocked to learn that you only need about 300 extra calories per day in pregnancy. Many women exceed this as we are often taught that we are eating for two! If however you are very active, exercise more than 45 mins per day you should be sure to eat the 300 plus eating your exercise calories back. The only exception to this rule is if you have a pre-pregnancy BMI over 25 in which case it is recommended to not gain too much weight ~ 10 lbs to reduce your risk of adverse outcomes (gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia ect). In this case, use your discretion. I usually recommend eating back half your exercise calories.

Breastfeeding is a different story. You need an additional 500 calories/day to feed a baby, so save the cupcake treats until then :)

Best wishes to you all and enjoy your growing baby bodies.