Introductions

Options
For those of us who are new to this group - and for those of us who were part of the 30DS group that just finished - figured it would be good to get some Introductions on here to get a feel for where we're each at!

My name is Melanie and I live just south of Atlanta, GA. I'm a 35 (OUCH!) year old single working mom to a wonderful 6 year old little boy with adhd/anxiety - so there NEVER seems to be enough time in the day. I do have a supportive group of friends, family, and boyfriend - so overall no complaints there.

I am in the final phase of the 30DS and looking to start RI30 and killer buns and thighs when I finish this one up.

Where are y'all from? What JM videos have you done in the past? Which ones do you want to start?

Replies

• crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie,
    My name is Crystal and I am 28. I am a newlywed and work a daytime desk job in Houston, TX. I recently joined myfitnesspal about 6 weeks ago hoping to loose some extra weight before a wedding I am in and cruise we are going on after. I however, am not making as much progress as I had hoped but I know it takes time and dedication to loose weight. "If it were easy everyone would be skinny" right? Gotta love Jillian.

I have been doing the ripped in 30 for over a month now off and on. I really love it. I get all sweaty and actually feel like I did something afterwards. I would like to finish up week 3 and week 4 and then I will probably do the shred again and I would like to get her 6 week 6 pack DVD.

The convenience of doing these DVD's at home and actually feeling like you accomplished something is awesome and its even better when you can share your success and cheer people on here on MFP.

Best of luck!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie & Crystal!

My name is Nicole. I live in Southern California with my husband of 8 years. I started my journey in September 2010 and reached my goal weight in January 2011. Since then I've been enjoying the adventures of maintenance!

I did the complete 30DS in August (30 days straight), then moved on to RI30 (6 days on, 1 off). Now I'm working through Killer Buns & Thighs. My routine is KB&T one day, and one of the 30DS or RI30 routines on alternate days 6 or 7 days a week. I'm on level two now. It's awesome! It's a little different than the circuit training from 30DS and RI30, but still has some cardio. I miss the abs segments, so I usually add some ab moves after the video.

30DS was my first exposure to Jillian Michaels. I found out quickly that I mesh very well with her semi-tough attitude. My husband is a Marine (a super motivated one, at that) so that's why I say semi-tough... She doesn't give you any excuses, but she's still inspiring. I totally subscribe to the "no pain, no gain" mentality, and when I work out I want to WORK. Jillian's workouts deliver! The more you put in, the more you get back.

I'd like to try 6-Week 6-Pack, and have heard good things about Kickbox Fast-Fix. Ultimately I'd like to go through them all. I've learned some interesting moves from her videos.

Love the idea of having a group to share motivation, struggles, and successes with! Glad to meet you both!
  • lauralogan2010
    lauralogan2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends!

My name is Laura and I live in Alabama. I gained about 40 pounds after getting married and am now in the process of taking it back off (I've lost 17 so far). Losing weight is hard! ;) I'm thankful for all of the wonderful support I've received through you all on MFP- that helps a lot. I've only done Jillian's 30 Day Shred video which I feel has been a wonderful workout that gives good results.

Best wishes to you all on your journey! Thanks for the support!

God bless,

Laura
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Joleen, 36 yrs old from SE Minnesota. 3 years ago I lost 50 pounds by just diet and exercise. But, slowly I gained back 30 pounds. :( Not eating right and I cut my exercise down. I stared trying to do this on my own in March (to fit into a bridesmaid dress) I didn't get too far. One of my friends intoducted me to My Fitness Pal at the end of July. I am so thankful for this website. I have lost 32 pounds so far (22 pounds thanks to MFP so far)

I noticed some of my friends on here doing Jillian Michaels. I thought, never....but I has starting to lose some weight and though I would give it a try. So I started the 30 day shred. I am on day 23 now! I can't believe I'm on level 3 now! I started about a month ago. I love how this has changed my body, I like getting the strength training in. I love that I can get this 30 min workout in before I go to work in the mornings. I am trying to do M-F and have the weekends to do the treadmill or walk outside.

I'm not sure what I will do when I complete the 30DS. What would you guys recommend? Nice to meet everyone!
  • crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Joleen, 36 yrs old from SE Minnesota. 3 years ago I lost 50 pounds by just diet and exercise. But, slowly I gained back 30 pounds. :( Not eating right and I cut my exercise down. I stared trying to do this on my own in March (to fit into a bridesmaid dress) I didn't get too far. One of my friends intoducted me to My Fitness Pal at the end of July. I am so thankful for this website. I have lost 32 pounds so far (22 pounds thanks to MFP so far)

I noticed some of my friends on here doing Jillian Michaels. I thought, never....but I has starting to lose some weight and though I would give it a try. So I started the 30 day shred. I am on day 23 now! I can't believe I'm on level 3 now! I started about a month ago. I love how this has changed my body, I like getting the strength training in. I love that I can get this 30 min workout in before I go to work in the mornings. I am trying to do M-F and have the weekends to do the treadmill or walk outside.

I'm not sure what I will do when I complete the 30DS. What would you guys recommend? Nice to meet everyone!

I would def recommend doing the Ripped in 30. I think its a nice jump to another level without being too hard. Just like the 30DS you can work your way up through the weeks building your strength and working up to the harder levels. Best of luck to you!!
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30ds, I am going to move to level 2 at the end of the week. I have been very "unfit" for a long time so I am taking my time with getting back in the swing of this. I plan on 2 weeks of each level, with some days off. I go for a long bike ride on Sundays, and roller skate on Wednesdays....my body can't handle both yet. Hoping to finish all 3 levels and be somewhere in between the two girls in the video. I would like to to the RI30 afterwards and a year from now be 50lbs lighter able to try the insanity workouts.

I live in Wisconsin so I need to figure out what my cold weather weight loss plan is going to be! I am 30 and have 3 kids that need someone to keep up with them! Hopefully I will be hollering for them to keep up with me!

Glad that this group got started and looking forward to the motivation and support!
  • sarahbw22
    sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!!

My name is Sarah. I'm 29 and I've been happily married for a whole 8 months, lol. I joined MFP about 8 weeks ago. Since I've joined, I've lost 11 pounds. But for some reason my ticker says 10, oh well. I started with just walking and trying to eat better. I'm a BIG foodie, so giving up any of my favs was not going to happen. Instead, I'm taking the very slow approach of working them out of my system. I gave up drinking everything but water and my morning cup of tea. I also no longer eat half a cheesecake right before going to bed. ;)

After walking became a little boring, I decided I wanted to start some strength training. The first time at it, well, we'll just say it was an epic fail. So I found this program online called twohundredsitups.com. It's a 6 week program to build up your endurance. it's not just sit ups, it's also push-ups, squats, dips and pull-ups. (But I don't do the pull-ups, hehe.) I highly recommend to anyone looking to improve their strength who is out of shape to look into this program. After completing just 2 weeks of 3 workouts per week, I saw some changes! Especially in my arms. I can only imagine what 6 weeks of workouts would look like!! Once I felt strong enough to move on, I purchased 30 Day Shred. I only made it to Day 9 of Level 1 before I went in for oral surgery and everything kind of went out the window after that. I REALLY wish I stuck with it because I was seeing great results in my abs/arms after just those 9 days. I have started the twohundredsitups challenge again and have now incorporated JM Yoga Meltdown in with the 30DS. (I have moved onto Level 2 because Level 1 was getting repetitive.) I do my dvds about 2-3 times, the 200hundred program 3 times a week and try for an hour walk 2-3 times a week.

I log everything I eat. Including those late night runs to McDonalds. I like being held accountable for what I put in my body.

My honeymoon is coming up the week of Christmas, so I'm ready to get serious again. I am determined to look presentable in a bikini. Our last cruise I wouldn't even let my husband take any body pictures of me. But not this time!!!!

Feel free to add me for support!! I am a great supporter of people who try hard!!!
  • kikiallain
    kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yay Mel,

Thanks for starting the group!! My name is Christine, I am 27 from New Brunswick Canada!! I am a bride to be, getting married on August 24 of next summer. I have been on Myfitnesspal for about 17 months and have lost a little over 30 pounds. I have been doing it slowly but surely by changing eating habits and working out. I discovered 30 day shred when my fiance's gym closed down and our routine got changed. We decided we wanted to motivate each other to work out but not have to spend 50$ each on a gym membership where we would have to take alot of our time each night to drive to, work out long enough to feel it and drive back. 27 minutes is all that the 30 day shred needs and that fit perfectly into our routine. Unfortunetly it's been a pretty busy couple of weeks with me looking for dresses, having our engagement picture shoot, the canadian thanksgiving and me modeling for a bridal show so we actually haven't done the shred in over a week. We have now just decided to start the 30 day shred again from zero (yes... yuck...) take new measurements, new weight starting point and new pictures. 10 months until the wedding and now a dress that i have said yes to that I get to envision in order for me to get motivated... I'm ready for this! Hope you all are :)
  • mssoulrebel_77
    Options
    Thanks for the great idea Christine! I've actually got a big race coming up this weekend, and had debated taking off friday from 30DS - but now I'm thinking I might give myself a "break" and just do level 1. I NEVER thought I'd get to the point where I'd call doing level 1 getting a break - but I think that's a fair enough assessment.

Jolene - you and i sound like we're in pretty much the same exact boat. I'd lost 70 pounds a few years ago, but gained back half of it :( Now working on losing it. I just finished up day 22 of 30DS this morning. I have her RI30 and the thighs video - as mentioned earlier - and have put her other videos on my christmas wish list at amazon :-)

As for the insanity videos - I tried those once and felt like I was about to throw up - they are INTENSE. Would **LOVE** to be able to do them one day - but they are truly no joke.

Sarah - thanks for sharing the twohundredsitups website. I'm going to have to check that out. I've never been able to do a pull up (at least since I was a kid) - so that's kind of like a secret aspiration for me. But I've never been able to do push ups until now either - and here I am 5 weeks after starting 30DS (I'm doing the "extended" version with days off) and I'm able to do the walking push ups and all the plank moves.... so maybe there's hope for me :-)
  • SamEriksson
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thanks Mel for creating this group! I'm Sammie, 28 years old. Right now I'm sort of stuck on level 3 of the 30DS. It's not because it's too difficult, but because I have a lot to do for university and then before I know it it's time to go to bed. I have maybe 5 or 6 days left and I aim to have them done by the beginning of next week.
    I began exercising and eating healthier at the start of September and I have lost 11 pounds and a few inches so far- only a gazillion left - but I'm definitely feeling better and stronger than two months ago.
    I've decided to add some more strength training to my workouts. I'm thinking of maybe mixing together some of the strength moves from 30DS and some other DVDs to hopefully make a good workout program for myself. And then on alternating days I would do one of Jillian's DVDs so that I would also get some cardio and abs into my workout.
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds like I will like Ripped in 30. I will have to get it. :)
  • BookterAE12
    BookterAE12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm Amanda from Wisconsin. Looking to get in shape for my wedding, Oct 5th 2013. I heard about myfitnesspal from the dietitian at work. My workouts began as training for a 5k mud run back in June. Now I'm not running as much due to time constraints, but have picked up JM fast fix kickboxing and yoga melt down. I absolutely love the kickboxing routines!

The dietitian suggested adding strength training to my cardio workouts. She pretty much said kickboxing and the yoga dvd's just aren't enough to really lose weight. Is she wrong?

I'm hoping to lose about 30 lbs before the wedding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • sarahbw22
    sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sarah - thanks for sharing the twohundredsitups website. I'm going to have to check that out. I've never been able to do a pull up (at least since I was a kid) - so that's kind of like a secret aspiration for me. But I've never been able to do push ups until now either - and here I am 5 weeks after starting 30DS (I'm doing the "extended" version with days off) and I'm able to do the walking push ups and all the plank moves.... so maybe there's hope for me :-)
    [/quote]

No problem!! Good for you for being able to do the walking push-ups! I can do about 2 of them and then I switch to holding the plank position instead of the push-up. I'd rather keep going and not be able to do them instead of giving up all together. (That's big progress for me!!) I really swear by this program. Especially since I can do it in my office or while watching tv. :)
  • _jk0g_
    _jk0g_ Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jean and I have lost 125lbs so far. I joined this site around six months ago. I started doing the JM Body Revelolution to change my workout routine. I am a wife and mother of two boys. Life is never dull to say the least. I hope to find some extra support and I work toward loosing that last of my weight! Thanks!
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi folks - I was one of the 30DS people in Sept.. A few of us went on to do Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism in Oct.. I was trying to do BFBM and then No More Trouble Zones (each one nearly an hour long) on alternating days.. Yeah, that didn't work out :(. I managed to do 30DS every single day in Sept without fail and was by far the largest person in our group. When I started 30DS on 1Sept, I was 234.4 lbs, By the end of the month, I was down to 226.6 and had dropped almost 10" total.

My name is Rhonda. I go by Gypsy or even Nareena in real life as well. My old gaming habits bled over into the real world many years ago, lol. I am married almost 16 years now (anniv is in a few weeks) and we have a son, 15.. similar to like Melanie said, my son has ADHD and Bipolar Disorder. The doc says he's likely got OCD as well. Poor kid :(. Anyway, again like Melanie, I live outside of Atlanta, GA (northwest side). I work full time but am not a "full time" employee thanks to the way of company regulations.. boo!

I don't need someone to push me and tell me I can do better, or to hold my hand and say it will be alright if I mess up my diet or my workouts. I am pretty self sufficient in those regards. It's great to have the accountability though, and see someone poke at me to acknowledge that I *did something* good! Oh yes and I love having people to talk to who "get it" about MFP and weight loss. I hate the idea that I am talking to someone who doesn't understand and they really just don't want to hear another word about how I *finally made it to a size 18 jeans* for the first time in 12-15 years.. lol.
  • melinade
    melinade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hello my name is melinda. i am on day 2 of the JM Revolution. i am a wife and mom of two kids; 12 & 14. life is intereting to say the least and time is hard to fit in for myself. i belonged to tilton fitness but finding the time to go and when i did go i felt guilty i was not home with the family, so i decided to quit the gym and purchase JM Revolution. my goal is to do the tapes in the morning at 430-500am and take my walks after dinner when everyone is settled in. i look forward to seeing where i am after 13 weeks.
  • justmarried15
    justmarried15 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends!

My name is Laura and I live in Alabama. I gained about 40 pounds after getting married and am now in the process of taking it back off (I've lost 17 so far). Losing weight is hard! ;) I'm thankful for all of the wonderful support I've received through you all on MFP- that helps a lot. I've only done Jillian's 30 Day Shred video which I feel has been a wonderful workout that gives good results.

Best wishes to you all on your journey! Thanks for the support!

God bless,

Laura

Also losing post wedding weight!
    I was also a part of the 30DS group and I'm really excited to be a part of this new support group. I'm a 27 year old high school teacher and like everyone here I have no time for anything. Ever. Haha.
    I totally fell off the wagon with 30DS so I'm hoping this group will help me get back on track with it.
    Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
    Steph
  • melinade
    Options
    i have the jillian body revolution and i am on phase #1 and just did the morning the cardio 1. was not to thrilled with it. running back and fourth in a living room just dont cut it..but did the best with it. i am going to stick with it and can only hope the other cardios are better. i do have an extra 45 min cardio tape that came with it so i can switch it up after the 13 weeks.
  • _jk0g_
    _jk0g_ Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @melinade I didn't caer for the cardio either. I switch it up with other videos I have or go out side for a run. I do like the other DVDs just not the cardio so far. We will see what Cardio 2 has in store for me next month. Good luck to you!
  • melinade
    Options
    @jkog, yes i agree hopefully the cardio 2 is better. i did get another cardo tape from JM extreme shed & shred. have you tried that workout yet? i wish i could figure out what the calorie burn is on each day with her tapes but not sure how to figure it out.