The positivity thread

Options
Hey i thought that since we had a place to write all the bad things that were going on in our lives, that it would also be important to balance it out with a place to write the good things, no matter how small they may be. We all know that a little thing/ change can mean the world to us.

So to start us off, i'm going to tell you something that i managed to do for the first time this week. I managed to use the cash machine at my local bank all by my self for the very first time. I also managed to go to the opticians on my own as well so it was a very good week for me.

What have been good things for you?

Replies

• theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love hearing this! That's quite an accomplishment and I'm happy for you!

Good things this week for Austin:

He wore a short sleeved shirt for the first time.
    He walked up and hugged my Grandmother.
    He ate cereal. This makes 8 things he'll eat now besides fruit.

I hope to read more responses about the moments in everyone's lives.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Losing more weight and gaining more muscle? That's about it.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Jordison screamed through another hour of speech this week (he's been grumpier than normal the past week or so)- then the OT came and I again questioned SPD - we set up his bubble blower and swung him in a blanket, she did that thing with the brush on his arms/legs and some joint compressions - and my kid is back to his usual self again - so that's super!
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see so many good things happening to all of us.
    I managed to try a new type of shower gel today...i'm really glad that i did because it smells nice and it was cheap.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My son had his grade 8 graduation last night and actually managed to stay dressed in the tux (with the tie even) and walk across the stage in front of everyone in the auditorium to get his diploma from his teacher and LST. This was huge for him as he hasn't ever attended an assembly or even recess due to the noise levels. He only had to leave the auditorium once last night when there was a live bagpiper playing....AWESOME NIGHT FOR US!
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My son has been taking a taxi to school (by himself- he´s 12) for 3 weeks, but now it´s summer holidays so new schedule. But he´s made his own day plan which involves 30 min. of exercise every day in the holidays. Last summer we had to drag him out of the house and he would only go in our yard.
    We also had him to a big family birthday (over 60 guests) - he brought his music, headset and my computer so he could relax in another room when he got overloaded.

Thanks ravenclawseek for keeping us reminded of the positive things!!! :smile:
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good things my son Devyn has done recently:

1) He ate strawberries and raspberries! So awesome! He is a VERY picky eater!
    2) Was able to go to and from therapy without wandering off/running away.
    3) This past Saturday we went to a local zoo and he actually went on the train and fed the animals! So big for him! Almost shed a few tears. He does not do good at all with new places. Especially new places that has a lot going on. He LOVES trains but NEVER wants to go on them. So proud of my little dude!
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    I've made it through one of the worst weeks of my life, without falling into very bad habits.
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    My son got a new teacher to replace the substitute that was holding down the fort this year. His old teacher was really great, and we were sad when she left. I've got my fingers crossed that this new teacher is going to work out for him.
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Jordison screamed through another hour of speech this week (he's been grumpier than normal the past week or so)- then the OT came and I again questioned SPD - we set up his bubble blower and swung him in a blanket, she did that thing with the brush on his arms/legs and some joint compressions - and my kid is back to his usual self again - so that's super!

What a great thread!! I'm new here, but my son is still very young (18 months) and Early Intervention has suggested he may have "red flags" for autism. We're taking him to get evaluated this month.

He does see a OT as well and she does that same swinging in a blanket with him. He seems to LOVE it, but I'm so new to all this and I keep hearing SO much about sensory issues. I'm curious if you could tell me what you think is beneficial from that? I'm just curious. My son loves to be swung in the blanket and he loves bouncing on a Rody horse we have. The OT said he benefits from all the swinging, bouncing etc because it should stimulate his speech.

Anyway - sorry to ask a question on this thread. :)

My son for the first time this week learned to roll a toy car back and forth with me which is VERY exciting. He has never rolled a car back and forth before and usually just spins the wheels or drops it on the floor.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options

What a great thread!! I'm new here, but my son is still very young (18 months) and Early Intervention has suggested he may have "red flags" for autism. We're taking him to get evaluated this month.

He does see a OT as well and she does that same swinging in a blanket with him. He seems to LOVE it, but I'm so new to all this and I keep hearing SO much about sensory issues. I'm curious if you could tell me what you think is beneficial from that? I'm just curious. My son loves to be swung in the blanket and he loves bouncing on a Rody horse we have. The OT said he benefits from all the swinging, bouncing etc because it should stimulate his speech.

Anyway - sorry to ask a question on this thread. :)

My son for the first time this week learned to roll a toy car back and forth with me which is VERY exciting. He has never rolled a car back and forth before and usually just spins the wheels or drops it on the floor.
    Hi it's always nice to see someone new around the place. I'm not really sure what you're asking but 'll do my best to answer it. Swinging is a repetative motion and i know that makes a lot of people with autism feel safe and calm because you know what to expect. I suppose that it also helps to build a bond between the child and the person doing the swinging as well...
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    I have been taking my boys to Occupational Therapy for 10 years now, and I do see improvements. They are more calm and more accepting of new textures and foods. One was always into textures and the other one wasn't, but they have met in the middle now. They have better muscle tone and movement than they used to. Good luck.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Just found out my 13 year old son had breakfast with the headmaster for doing so well in school. Though typical with a child with ASD it happened a few weeks ago and he has only just mentioned it.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    We've gotten good reports back from the school about my child's focus and attention. Those are two areas that she struggles with.
    We're also seeing better sentence construction when she speaks.

We love OT. We have a great private OT who is trained in sensory integration. She's a gem. Since we started with her over a year ago, we've seen huge improvements in ability to tolerate really noisy settings, improvement in core strength, etc. A good pediatric OT (my kid is little) is worth his or her weight in gold.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    Glad to see such great stories. Jordison will be three in December. I can't believe he's growing up so quickly.
    His speech is really taking off - though only those close to him can really understand what he is saying and while he uses normal tones at home - he speaks very quietly when out an about. His longest phrase was "come on momma eat brown bear" when he was having teddy grahams. We are about to transition out of our state's babynet program and into the school district. I'm not sure how all of that will go - but I don't feel completelty comfortable with it all. Our state is so behind in stuff it drives me nuts.

Hope everyone is doing well and that all the kids enjoyed their Halloween.
  • milleyea
    milleyea Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

My son's teacher says he is progressing very well in the morning ECI-PPCD classes and is recommending that he transition to afternoon classes! :happy:
  • karynmillar
    Options
    I love this!!!

3 things I am grateful for this week for our son

1. He found a way to label his emotions when frustrated!!!
    2. We found out he is very helpful in pre school helping other kids learn their letters (he can read at 4)
    3. He saw Santa and didn't freak out!

3 things I am grateful for in general

1. Being able to spend Christmas with my family this year, taking a few days off
    2. Helped 3 people lose over 100 pounds in 2012
    3. My husband and I both work from home which allows us time to give our little guy extra attention
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    We love going to large bookstores and hanging out there for a while. This past weekend, we did it and with my child on the spectrum. We stayed 1.5 hours. No bad behaviors or weird things that would draw attention to us. A year ago I couldn't imagine doing this. The first 15 minutes didn't go so well because my husband went off to get a coffee from the cafe inside the bookstore and he also got some magazines to read. That made my daughter think he wasn't coming back at all so her anxiety spiked. I got a lot of questions about where was daddy. But once he returned and she calmed down, we had a good time. She listened to music on her iPAD with headphones on and we read some magazines. :smile:
  • FitnessPal4L1f3
    FitnessPal4L1f3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    April is Autism Awareness Month - my goal - and on/from my FaceBook page I am hoping to post each day a fact regarding Autism. Some people may argue these facts - but so far here is what I've posted (please look me up on FaceBook, add me if you want on FaceBook or even here on MyFitnessPal):

Autism Awareness - Fact 1: - Autism is a disorder - Not a disease.

Autism Awareness - Fact 2: - Kids with Autism have a full range of emotion; they love, get angry, cry, feel joy and move your heart every day!

Autism Awareness - Fact 3: - Autism is a neurological disorder whereas the individual affected (not infected) has difficulty processing in-bound sensory assimilation. This means the individual processes too much information.

BUT my Joseph LOVES his hugs, kisses, cuddles and loves!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    April is Autism Awareness Month - my goal - and on/from my FaceBook page I am hoping to post each day a fact regarding Autism. Some people may argue these facts - but so far here is what I've posted (please look me up on FaceBook, add me if you want on FaceBook or even here on MyFitnessPal):

Autism Awareness - Fact 1: - Autism is a disorder - Not a disease.

Autism Awareness - Fact 2: - Kids with Autism have a full range of emotion; they love, get angry, cry, feel joy and move your heart every day!

Autism Awareness - Fact 3: - Autism is a neurological disorder whereas the individual affected (not infected) has difficulty processing in-bound sensory assimilation. This means the individual processes too much information.

BUT my Joseph LOVES his hugs, kisses, cuddles and loves!

Well said. I will look you up - I love having people that can relate because let's face it - until you love someone diagnosed - you really have no clue.