When Losing Weight Is A Bad Thing

Options
Zyphun
Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
I knew it was going to happen. It happened the last time I lost weight. The nice, soft layers of fat that did such a wonderful job of hiding things are melting away. Strength training makes it worse of course, but strength training is part of a good weight loss program and, more importantly, part of a good life style. Still the results are there to see. Soon where once there was a Mass, there is now the hint of form. And it is only going to get worse.

The angles, edges and lines are all wrong. It is too straight here. There is no curve there. No bulges to see here. Oh, there is a bump there. My look at the start of some really good toning. Legs that look like they belong on a runner. Aren't I proud?

No. I am horrified, frustrated and resigned. But then almost everyone deals with body dysphoria to some degree. We almost all wish at times that we were more like societies ideal of perfect. But that is what is happening. I am becoming more perfect; a more perfect male.

When I was fat, it was easy to pass myself off as female. Throw on a wig, heft what I had into a bra and dab a little concealer to hide the shadow and no one saw any different then I wished they would see. Now, the curves I wished for are gone. And ones I should be proud of as signs of my hard work are damning reminders of what I am not. And like I said, it is only going to get worse.

Part of me wants to stop. It says, remember before? We ended up in the hospital on watch. Didn't it feel great giving in to the cravings and watching the concealing layers fill in all those unfortunate parts. Wasn't it so very nice to hide again? You aren't strong enough to go down that road anymore. Come back and rest, enjoy what is possible and be content.

They are lies of course. Easy words that sound like easy truth. Oh, I did go on watch. And it was great to give in and hide, but giving up like that means giving up on more then just eatting away my problems.

So, here I am, doing what I can. Hating what I see in the mirror even as a I work hard to strip away what was comfortable.

Anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I do not go through it, as I am happily the sex I identify with.

But, I can sympathize. I know some people in similar situations.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Women come in all different shapes. I think it is unlikely that you will end up looking as masculine as you fear. I have a friend who is male now and he often talks about/worries about how he has huge hips and he doesn't at all - totally in his head.

It sucks because weight loss comes with its own body dismorphia issues so now you have two kinds to deal with, but
    I swear to you that it is likely all in your head. Many women have very naturally masculine shapes. You can learn to love whatever shape you end up with is. Fashion magazines offer lots of suggestions for broad shouldered narrow hipped ladies who want to look curvier. Just think how much easier it will be to follow their suggestions when you are able to buy regular sized clothes instead of plus sized.
  • doginsea
    Options
    Hey,

I'm trans myself and although I can't relate directly to your own experience, as I read this I can see how it would be pretty distressing.

I realise that telling you that people come in all shapes and sizes and that health comes first etc etc is not going to take away that dysphoria. Heck, dysphoria rarely carries any logic. You can't just change your internalised picture of yourself!

If there is no desperately urgent reason (e.g surgery, major health risk) requiring you to lose weight in a set period of time then I wonder if it might be an idea to take a little time out of a strict weight loss programme? No, I don't mean given in to it just perhaps concentrating on maintenance? I'm wondering if it would free up some headspace to try and deal with your thoughts and feelings around weight loss and how that impacts on dysphoria? Do you have access to a counsellor? There are lots of voluntary organisations all over who might be able to help with that. At the least, perhaps a supportive friend?

Hope things are a little easier soon. x
  • doginsea
    Options
    Also wondering if you are on hormones? If not, then going on them would help you to get curves. If you are then it's possible that once your weight is stable the hormones will help you get more curvy anyway since your body will be changing so rapidly from weight loss that it might not be getting hte chance to feminise.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to losing a few of my curves, so I'm not quite in the same boat, but I do sympathize. As someone else mentioned though, with a smaller canvas to work with, you may find more options available.

Also there are plenty of healthy men out there who do not bulk up with strength training beyond a basic level of fitness. In the Tai Chi world, "You look strong," is actually an insult, because usually a 'toned' muscle is also a tense muscle or one that has reduced flexibility. The master who comes to visit will target these guys for his demos because they will be easier to take, and they also look more impressive when they go down. I would recommend taking a dancing, or martial arts (preferably a 'soft' style such as Tai Chi or Aikido), or yoga class to focus on other traditionally feminine attributes such as grace and flexibility.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I was thinking about this more and I think its worth mentioning - people are WAY too concerned that weight lifting is going to bulk them up. Even men, with normal testosterone loads, don't really get BULKY weight lifting unless they deliberately eat targetted extra calories, and do very specific muscle building reps.

There is a VAST amount of information and products out there specifically around getting bigger muscles, and its COMPLEX - targetted meal times and compositions, specific amounts of seconds to lift and lower weights, isolation exercises, etc.

My husband and I have both been doing big heavy compound barbell moves, and all that's happened is we've leaned up. Actually I've put on more shoulder muscle than he has - and I don't think it makes me look particularly masculine or lacking in curviness. The guys at the gym I see with big broad chests and shoulders do TONS and TONS of upper body work - I am talking every time I see them, massive amounts of variation in curls, bench presses (incline! decline! close grip! wide grip!), overhead dumbell presses, etc. And they are also a bit fat (if not deliberately eating to bulk, then certainly doing it on accident).

You *might* have a time when you hit a weird in between zone with your body (maybe you're there now) but I promise if you get the fat off it will pass. **kitten** this stupid idea that women need to be curvy to look womanly. Look however you look, with the body that is your healthiest and best. You will still be a woman if that is what you want.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    butch chicks are hot! work with what you've got. xoxo
  • Zyphun
    Options
    First off, I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart that replied to my post. I felt so self conscious writing it and I am extremely grateful for the generous and kind support.

This weekend I thought a lot about what tameko2, doginsea, and motleybird had so say. Though most of what is said is about the ideal, being ideal has never been a goal for me. I know I will never live up to what society conciders hot. If I was worried about that I would be much worse off emotionally then I am now. heh No, my concern is 'passing'. For those who haven't heard of the term before (and apologies for the explanation to those who do), passing is the ability for someone who is transgender/transsexual to successfully fit in as their chosen sex. For some it is easy, they can be a chameleon who fluidly change their appearance at will. Being obese gave me that ability. Manly because I find most people see obese people as fat first and their sex as second if not third. At 6'2" I am on the tall side. Add to that I am built like a line backer. I have broad shoulders, a barrel chest, thick arms and big hands. Being estrogen challenged from a early age, I also do not have any hips to speak of. When I was fat, all of that didn't matter.

It's not the muscles I am worried about, I am keeping it as lean as I can concidering my body was made for muscle and wants desperately to look like a body builder. Now that I am getting more fit, those shoulders, chest, hands and lack of hips are making it harder to pass. Oh and guess what I saw in the mirror this morning for the first time in a long time? My Adam's apple was staring right back at me. I actually cried, and they were not happy tears.

It is not so much my own perception I am worried about. I know I am dysmorphic and I will probably never see myself the way others do. I am worried about all the sirs and funny I looks I get when I go out. One or two I could ignore or say it was my imagination, but this weekend when I went out to the store all I wanted to do was go home and hide after the checker said to have a nice day sir. I live in a rural southern town, so I definately don't feel safe going to anywhere other then heavily populated places.

To answer some questions. I am not on hormones nor seeing a therapist. I tried to find a therapist here, but everyone I see I spend most of the sessions teaching the therapist about being transgender and after months of work never actually end up getting anything done. I have been to a few therapists who deal with transsexuals, but that was years ago and when I was visiting someone in a metropolitan area. I am very thankful for that as I don't think I would be here otherwise.

I'd move, get on hormones, set farther along in transition in general, but all those things require money I don't have. My dad is getting on in years and so taking care of him is kinda my job at the moment. We have a kind of symbiosis of helping each other. He lets me stay at his home, and I help out. I am not mooching, I pay rent, etc, but I don't make enough to live on my own either, much less pay for nonlife critical things. And I don't mind, it just limits what I can do. Hence, my post.

Again, thanks to everyone for their support and advice. It was greatly appreciated.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Can you drive to another therapist? Once among or something? Or is there not a bigger town in driving distance.

I know my friend generally had to go to the nearest big city two hours away. It's harder but not impossible.
  • Zyphun
    Options
    It is possible, but not for me. The car I have access to is not able to make the drive and even then I couldn't afford her. :( It is a good idea though. When I was active in an online transgender community it was a common suggestion I made.
  • sunnykt
    sunnykt Posts: 66
    Options
    Anything I write here will probably sound stupid, so many people have given such excellent opinions to ponder.

Sometimes slowing down with weight loss can be good to ease body dysmorphia but other little things can help too. I find that if you are constantly aware that people might view you as male people people WILL view you as male. People pick up on moods and body language. Your insecurity over your adam's apple creates this awareness in you that other people sense. This awareness probably contributes to the amount of people who categorise you as male (people will categorise you as male due to body structure but awareness, mentality, attitude, stance and all those little things sway people more than you realise). So working as seeing yourself as "truly" female rather than "female identified and stuck in a male body" might help- moving away from that body awareness and changing your mentality.

What I mean by that is; (even if this sounds overly simple) just work on picturing and visualising yourself as a cisgendered female might help. When you worry about loosing weight change the tone of your worries. Instead of "I hope nobody notices my body and my sex" (note I said sex not gender) focus on what another woman would think "Omg I can't believe I have such ugly broad shoulders. They look like so manly!" (now you are focusing on gender-appropriate thoughts. You are no longer a man, you are a woman who has masculine bodily characteristics). Be mentally genuinely shocked by anyone who calls you male. Wake up one morning and consciously decide to view your body as a masculine "female" body, because you are female and that is your body. Therefore it MUST be a female body. It's just not a female body that fits the stereotypes. When you view things from this mentality, you are getting the funny looks because you aren't the social archetypal ideal- not because your body is a "male" body.

Stop focusing on "passing" and start focusing on being your own personal beauty ideal. I guarantee when you stop worrying so much about "passing" and start focusing/ worrying about being your ideal you will pass better. Your thoughts have already started to "pass" better. You're focusing on the whole instead of the hole. instead of "I want feminine hair" it's "I want hair that suits me and makes me look pretty". Thus you are becoming a more stereotypically "pretty" woman by loosing the weight, regardless of how masculine your natural body shape is.

You said you are worried about being a target, (which can't help but bring out your insecurities) but you could change this worry to "I don't want to be alone because I don't feel safe". Already the thoughts are being processed differently and more gender-relevant. It's focusing on your similarities, rather than your differences. Most women don't feel safe alone. I read an article on how women are basically imprisoned by fears such as the fear of rape- which leads us to do things at certain hours, or run with our car keys out (just in case we need to stab someone in the eye) or not travel overseas alone (which I'd really love to do, but which seems so gender-abnormal since there are certain risks that come with being female). You don't feel safe, most women don't feel safe. This is relating the way you are being treated to how you would be treated if you were cisgendered and looking for the similarities not the differences.

I know it seems like a game of pretend but "everything arises from the mind" and if your body dysmorphia is coming from your attitude to how people treat you/ your personal view of your body- to me it makes logical sense to change the way you consciously process situations. Of course it's not a long-term fix (and maybe you've been counselled to do this before) but it might be a good exercise to just fantasise yourself into being genuinely cis-gendered for a few days. Think like you would if you were cis-gendered and just focus on applying a less binary attitude to your body's sex.

Since you don't have access to any counsellors who deal specifically with transsexuality, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that some social workers and psychologists may be rather inept in certain departments such as this. I'll happily concede to "I wouldn't find that useful".
  • Zyphun
    Options
    Thank you sunnykt for such a thoughtful and insightful reply. The ideas and perspective you shared were far from stupid. It did open my eyes to the fact I had slipped in a very unhealthy mindset. I believe you are right in that it is better to see myself for who I am rather then be fixated on what I see in the mirror. I do worry more then I should about how others think of me, but that has more to do with my own social insecurities and less to with gender perception. I know it is hard to understand, but when all you visually see in the mirror is a man it is very hard to feel anyone else would see different. I do not know how otherwise to explain it. I can trick myself into it, but there is a lot more wrong with me then just being a lady with broad shoulders. And even if I was geneticlly female and looked exactly like I do now, I do not believe I would feel differetly about myself as I do now.

As far as being a target, I do not think you realize the level of threat I am talking about. Rape, assault and murder are always possibilties, male or female. They are of course more of a risk for women, but I level of rage I have myself experienced from people who feel like I am 'trying to fool them', 'being a *kitten*' or 'being an affront to the Lord' is something I fear a great deal more.

I live as a woman. I don't care what people think so long as they aren't directly in front of me. It hurts when my friends and family are confused, it makes me feel like I am just playing pretend and they do not know how to handle it. But I have friends that know me as I am and never met we when I tried so desperately to be as male as I could. Those friends say they could never see me as male and it is weird to them that I tried to be one once upon a time. So I have no need to fantasize about that, though I do daydream one and a while about what it would have been like to grow up as a girl. Bit, that is just ideal thoughts in a wistful breeze.

Thank you again, for the remind and the advice. Like all the replies from everyone they are very much appreciated.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    **kitten** this stupid idea that women need to be curvy to look womanly. Look however you look, with the body that is your healthiest and best. You will still be a woman if that is what you want.
    I think this is a beautiful thing to keep in mind.

As someone else said, these sorts of thoughts about your body are rarely rational, but everyone deals with these things to an extent. Obviously some of us more than others.

I really hope you're able to be healthy, happy, and that you love yourself. Please remember you have many people around for support. The internet can be awesome sometimes. :3
  • doginsea
    Options
    some very wise words there sunnykt. You've reflected very well a lot of the shifts in thinking that have helped me feel more at peace with my own dysphoria over the years.