Share Catholic Quotes You Love

Options
perfectingpatti
perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
Saw this today on Ignatius Press:

“You are not a Catholic just because you like it, or because it makes you feel good, or even because it makes you be good and live better (though that is, of course, terribly important too). You are a Catholic because you believe Catholicism is true. Believing in Santa Claus made you feel good too, when you were three, and maybe your belief in Santa Claus even made you be good around Christmas time, but it’s not true. You don’t really believe Santa Claus exists, even though you may tell stories or sing songs about him.

“If God is like Santa Claus for you, then you are an atheist, not a theist. If Jesus is like Santa Claus for you, then you are not a Christian. If the Church is like Santa Claus to you, then you are not a Catholic. The only honest reason for being a Catholic is that you believe Catholicism is TRUE.”

—Peter Kreeft

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    This one, by Hilaire Beloq: Wherever that Catholic sun doth shine, there is also laughter and good red wine. At least I've always thought it so. Benidicamos Domino.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options

“If God is like Santa Claus for you, then you are an atheist, not a theist. If Jesus is like Santa Claus for you, then you are not a Christian. If the Church is like Santa Claus to you, then you are not a Catholic. The only honest reason for being a Catholic is that you believe Catholicism is TRUE.”

—Peter Kreeft

^^ Yes!
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like both of those!!! The first one that came to my mind was - "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ" - St. Jerome
    :happy:
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    i don't know that this little diddy is catholic, but I love it and i get it now that im catholic...

Not in the time of pleasure
    Hope doth set her bow;
    But in the sky of sorrow,
    Over the vale of woe.
    Through gloom and shadow look we
    On beyond the years!
    The soul would have no rainbow
    Had the eyes no tears.

-John Vance Cheney; The Century Vol. 44, Issue 4 (August 1892)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorites:
    "If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Teresa
    "Pray, hope, and don't worry." Padre Pio
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    If you want God to hear your prayers, hear the voice of the poor. If you wish God to anticipate your wants, provide those of the needy without waiting for them to ask you. Especially anticipate the needs of those who are ashamed to beg. To make them ask for alms is to make them buy it. -- St. Thomas of Villanova
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Mass culture with its cult of narrative wreck celebrities and its confusion about the very meaning of love needs to be interrupted by a high sacramental culture based on the notion that Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of Man, is the centre and purpose of human history. This is the basis of what Pope Benedict has called the humanist culture of the Incarnation, which we find expounded most eloquently in the Trinitarian triptych of John Paul II.

Tracey Rowland

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2012/10/13/3610041.htm
  • orapronobis
    Options
    “To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” - G. K.Chesterton
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. ~ Galatians 5:22-23
  • mickeyskinnyjeans
    mickeyskinnyjeans Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "The God of Peace is not glorified by human violence." -Thomas Merton
  • orapronobis
    Options
    For life begins and ends with two qualities. Faith is the beginning, and love is the end; and the union of the two together is God." -
    St. Ignatius of Antioch
  • orapronobis
    Options
    Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
    Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
    It was never between you and them anyway.

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
  • orapronobis
    Options
    To fall in love with God is the greatest romance,
    to seek Him the greatest adventure,
    to find Him the greatest human achievement.
    -St. Augustine