Can your heartrate monitor detect baby's heartbeat instead?

Options
cocolo89
cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
So my Hrm has been acting crazy lately. Sometimes when I am out for a jog or something my heartrate will read crazy numbers. It will shoot from 140 to 170 back to 140 in matter of seconds. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think the heartrate monitor can pick up baby's heartrate?

Replies

• keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt it. My HRM strap has to be right near my heart to pick up anything at all (I wear a Polar). My baby's heart (16 weeks) is so far away from that there is no way it could be picked up. My OB always finds it way down below my belly. If I put my HRM around my waist it won't get a reading, KWIM?

Anyway, my Polar will do some crazy things sometimes. Sometimes is reads very low when I'm working hard. Sometimes it says 210 when I'm walking. It polls every 5 seconds though and it is right the majority of the time so I figure it all averages out.

If yours is consistently acting crazy, check the battery.
  • cocolo89
    Options
    I am 27.5wks so I didn't know if my strap could hear baby's or not since he's bigger. I didn't have problems with it until after I was 25weeks. Around 25wks I started seeing my HR go all over the place. Some days it works fine and doesn't act up, but then there are days it goes crazy. lol . I have a polar watch as well. I heard that at this point of pregnancy you can actually hear baby with a stethoscope or i recently read you can hear baby if you put your head on your belly. So I figured since the monitor reads heartbeats, maybe it catches a few seconds of baby's heart rate since he's a lot higher up now.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My HRM did this in the 2nd trimester. and actually the other day when I was working it out it went all crazy. Mine jumps from 120-130 to 190-200 so i don't think it's the baby, I got a polor ft4.. I know others have had this issue as well.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Depending on when the battery was changed last, try putting a fresh battery in and see if the problem goes away. If you use a chest strap, try cleaning the contact strips as those sometimes get dirty and don't read well. If neither of these solve the problem, who knows, maybe it is?? :tongue: All I know is that I would be opposite - I normally register high with a HRM and my baby's HR is on the low end :laugh:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think it picks up both after a certain point if you're far enough along or at least enough of the baby's that it adds up to a screwy number. I've had this issue too. It will show 190-200 until I do some serious adjustment to the strap.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and have had this issue before. I am almost 8w5d, so there's no way it's picking up the baby's heartbeat, plus it happened beforehand anyway. I have always been able to fix it by making sure that the contacts on my chest strap were wet enough.

Other possibilities are that the batteries (either in the chest strap transmitter or in your receiver) are dying or that for some reason it's picking up someone else's reading. HRMs are generally made with enough code possibilities that your receiver will not pick up a reading from someone else's transmitter, but it's certainly possible. As someone else, said, too, the contacts may need to be cleaned.
  • cocolo89
    Options
    oh thanks ladies. I bought my HRM this past February, maybe it is the battery. I do have a question, I have the polar FT4, how do I change the battery from the strap? It has this thing on the back that says "open/close" but when I try to turn it to open, it won't turn. Has anyone been successful with opening the battery cover on the strap?

edit** oh I also wanted to add, I always rinse my strap before putting it on, so I am sure it is wet enough.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    oh thanks ladies. I bought my HRM this past February, maybe it is the battery. I do have a question, I have the polar FT4, how do I change the battery from the strap? It has this thing on the back that says "open/close" but when I try to turn it to open, it won't turn. Has anyone been successful with opening the battery cover on the strap?

edit** oh I also wanted to add, I always rinse my strap before putting it on, so I am sure it is wet enough.
    If there's a slot running across the battery cover, try using a coin to turn it open; that's how I have to change my HRM.
  • cocolo89
    Options

If there's a slot running across the battery cover, try using a coin to turn it open; that's how I have to change my HRM.

yes there is a slot, I tried opening it before but had no success, I will try with a coin! thanks for the suggestion!