What to wear when riding.

Options
midschool22
midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
I have a little checklist from Performance Bike that I use to gauge what to wear for different temps. Feel free to add what you wear for the seasons. For the most part, it has been right for me 9 of 10 times.

59-70
Sleeveless base layer, short sleeve jersey and arm warmers
Shorts / bibs with knee or leg warmers
Fingerless gloves

49-59
Sleeveless base layer, short sleeve jersey and arm warmers and wind jacket / vest
Skull cap
Shorts / bibs and thin tights
Full finger gloves mid weight
Wool socks

39-49
Sleeved base layer, long sleeve jersey, waterproof jacket
Balaclava
Shorts / bibs and heavy tights / bibs
Full finger gloves heavy weight
Wool socks
Shoe covers

Below 39
Sleeved base layer, long sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey (if needed) waterproof jacket with insulation
Balaclava
Shorts / bibs with heavy duty winter tights / bibs with wind & waterproof front
Full finger winter gloves or Lobster gloves
Wool socks
Heavy shoe covers

If there is rain, I'll add a rain jacket and pant combo. I may use embrocation over using tights when racing.

Replies

• jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This is my first year of dedicated cycling and I want to ride as long as possible to complete my 3000 mile goal
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Pretty accurate for my winter riding attire.
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is great. This is my first year riding in cold weather. So far, the 59-70 degree suggested attire has worked for me.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'll add that if it is windy on the 59-70, I may opt for lightweight full finger gloves and a headband. I don't like my ears getting cold.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Funny, this monring it was 32-34F (according to the weather app) and I wore baggies, t-shirt, lighter weight zip sweatshirt, regular socks, my winter gloves and a cycling hat. Luckily my ride is only about 5 miles and it's uphill pretty much the entire way so I get warm and stay warm from exertion fast.

Always felt the best theory for poor weather dressing was to dress for 15 minutes into the ride. Ifyou're cold to start odds are good you'll be fine once you get warmed up. If you're warm to start, you'll be overheated by the time you're warmed up.