My baby steps are so small...babies outrun me lol

Options
I am still sorting out exactly what my initial goals should be for me.

I started with writing every bite and have been doing pretty great. The only time I lost focus on that goal was when my older brother had a heart attack and I flew down to spend my days at his bedside in the hospital. Even while I was there I took great care to eat as healthy as I could from hospital cafeterias but when my phone battery died I would have gaps in my food diary.

My focus for now is to simply up my daily activity level now that my doctor has given me the all clear.

I have a Fitbit and I set my goal to 5,000 a day for now, working toward 10,000 per day eventually. I also have a ten flights of stairs goal, tomorrow will be my first day actively tracking that.

What are your baby step goals?

Replies

• Shug_E
    Shug_E Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started my baby steps with eliminating foods I knew were no good for me. I sit down for a living and drinking a 20oz pepsi was not the best thing for me, so the soda was the first thing to go. Then I read a book and it talked about how much sugar a person ingested in a day and I noticed that I was consuming waaaaaaay more than I should be so I switched to Stevia and actually what I have noticed is that I really don't use sugar that much any more at all. I have decreased my coffee intake, my soda intake and if I could just kill the sweets I would be okay. Now I use brown rice instead of white and I have also switched over to the wheat spaghetti and it doesn't taste bad. I eat more fresh fruits and veggies, but it is so hard to incorporate all of these things into your daily schedule when you are so busy all the time. Besides the park district activities, these are some of my baby steps.Oh yeah, I just joined a group called 30 Minutes a day which hopefully hold me accountable to doing exercises or physical activities on the days I do not have a class at the park district! :happy:
  • Roboartist
    Options
    Wanda, I just read this tip regarding veggies about saving time and eating healthy choices. If you shop in a grocery store with a salad bar you could buy your veggies precut from there, some stores here in the Portland area have amazing salad bars.

I know it will cost more out of pocket to do this but if this tip helps even just for a couple of meals a week that little difference could really add up over time. I know if I can buy fresh vegetables precut I often will, I notice I don't waste as much because I am not making excuses and skipping food prep in favor of a less healthy choice.
  • Shug_E
    Shug_E Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind cutting and prepping my food. I count that as a part of my excercise regimine...standing/food prep. But generally what I do is I cook on my off day for the week and then when I want to eat a salad I'll make the salad the day I want to eat it. I was eating them everyday and when I say they are delicious, they are delicious, but here in Chicago its getting colder so I need something a little heavier on my stomach so what I think I will do is prepare a smaller salad and add it to my hot food and carry less of that to work with me. If you look at my food diary, I have been simply eating the wrong stuff and I just gotta get back on track. :smile:
  • Nina_Crowson
    Options
    LOl to your topic title.

I am simply logging, no matter what. I need to log everything even when it gets bad.
    Drink my water no matter what.
    And Make sure everyday, i get in a little of excersize. baby steps! LOL
  • Shelly_gurl79
    Shelly_gurl79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Right now my goal is to stop the binging. I will do good all week and as soon as the weekend hits it's no routine and eat and indulge in whatever I want! It has been going on for over a year now.
  • MeAfter30
    MeAfter30 Posts: 129
    Options
    You know the thing about baby steps, sometimes you try to go faster than you are capable of and you stumble and fall. That's what I keep doing anyway.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My main baby step is working on increasing my exercise time. I literally started with 3 minutes at a time of light cardio (dancing, slowly jogging on the spot). Now I can do 5 (of high intesity). I can last 15 mins on the bike now, and 8 mins on the elliptical. Sometimes I feel like I'm progressing so slow that I'm going backwards, but I'm trying really hard to stick with it.
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    Awesome !!!! To all on here,I can't say that I have any real changes that I haven't had for about five years still are not habits if they were I wouldn't need to lose this 12-15 pounds but the good news is I haven't given up and I won't !!!! It's a life style not a diet