Wedding Dress Size Goal

Options
Has anyone bought their dress yet? Did you buy it in a size smaller? What is your wedding dress size goal?

I think I am going to buy off the rack in the new year so I can save some time and take off some more weight first. I am currently a size 10 in regular clothing so I believe that would mean that I am a size 12 wedding dress. My wedding dress size goal is a 10 so I need to get down a size before I go shopping. It would be a dream to be in a size 8 dress but that would mean getting into a 6 in regular clothing and I don't think I was even a 6 in high school although that is my ultimate size goal in regular clothing.

So yes a goal of a size 10 dress.

Replies

• BettyChampion
    BettyChampion Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married next September and I haven't even looked at dresses yet! I have lots to lose though. I am currently a size 20 and want to get down to a size 12-14 so three and a bit dress sizes to go :(
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've only looked online at dresses. I don't want to spend a lot so I should stop looking so I don't fall in love with something I can't afford. I want to actually start shopping to try on and buy in january and that only gives me 2 months. Since my date is March 9th.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have gone dress shopping and think I have found the one.

Unfortunately I dont want to order it in yet - I want to loose some weight before I do. So I might wait a month or so (hopefully I can loose quite a bit in that time) than I will still order it prolly in a size smaller. So than I want to keep working harder so that when it comes in it will fit or need to be altered even smaller. I dont wanna pay alteration fees - but its not going to stop me from working hard. Well worth it

I havent been sized yet so I dunno what size I would be.. I can wear pants size 7-9, been slacking lately so prolly more on the 8/9 side
  • andonsmama
    Options
    I bought a size 14 at david's bridal, it is really snug right now. she said they can alter it down 2 sizes and make it a 10. so that is my weight loss goal LOL my wedding is 4/5/13.
    :)
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am wearing a 14 jeans right now, so I guess that makes me a 16 dress size? I don't know, I am very big busted so I am going to end up buying big to fit that area, and then having the rest taken in. Unless of course the girls decide to go away when I lose weight!

My dream goal is to buy a 12.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My wedding dress is not a "wedding dress", but a white evening gown (http://www.onewed.com/photos/show/one-shoulder-white-wedding-dress-with-slit). I love it so.

I wound up buying the size I already fit in. I had a dress by this designer already and I knew how her sizes worked. So I was actually able to buy it on craigslist in my size from a bride who had worn it once (for her wedding), for $150.

So although my dress already fits, you can see that it's a pretty form-fitting design and also has the slit, so I want to get as toned up as possible so that the dress doesn't just fit, it FITS.

And whatever the gym can't achieve, spanx will. Am I right?
  • andonsmama
    Options
    @ liz that is gorgeous! and yes form fitting. i call them sucker-inner-uppers! LOL

@ tandks, i was a 12/14 jean (depending on the jean) and got a size 14 dress. so that may be right, but It probably depends on dress/designer too. i had the sucker-inner-upppers on and it fit snug, but zipped!!! i hear ya about the girls, i got them too LOL if i could just slim in the waist i will be happy :)
    dress shopping was very fun, even though i wasnt at the size i wanted to be. i had "the feeling" :)

this is mine:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Charmeuse-Side-Drape-Gown-with-Sash-WG3026
  • LizL217
    Options

Beautiful! I love the sash. You are going to rock that dress!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    here's the dress I ended up ordering!! http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/bridal/1863

I love it! And I really just did my best to ignore the number on the dress I was ordering, 'cause apparently I'm a weird size. I wear a size 10-12 in jeans usually and when they took my measurements they said in my chest i'm a 12, in my waist i'm a 14 and in my hips i'm a 16. I figured I don't really lose much in my hips so I went with the bigger size and they can just alter the top to make it fit me :)
  • BeginningNew2012
    Options
    My wedding is October next year and I did find and buy my dress. I was disappointed at first because the size I needed (16 womans) only comes in ivory. Well, I was very happy to fingd out that if I can drop even ONE dress size, I can get a 16 regular that is available in white. My actual goal for dress size is a size 10-12. With 364 days to go, I am staying optimistic that I can reach this :) I do have to be down by one dress size by January before my first alteration, but I plan to keep working on it.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Taffeta-Gown-with-Organza-Underlay-9WG3120_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @ liz That dress is very nice and elegant. You'll look like a bombshell on your wedding day. You are right though, spanx all the way! Celebrities wear them and you wouldn't think that they would. I wore a slip that was a body armour/spanx type of garment on the weekend when I went dress shopping. I di dn't want to assume that it would fix something if I didn't wear it to the appointment.

@andonsmama, that is very elegant as well. nice!

@szimba, wow that dress is gorgeous! I love the lace, I might be biased though because i just bought a lace dress too. Were you surprised at all the stuff built into that dress especially at the bottom of it? I tried a couple of dresses on like that and I was shocked to find how much crinolin and toole and other material was used to make the bottom flare out like it does. There is a lot to these dresses.

@stephcherry88, you can do it you have the time, if you just have to get down one size you will be there maybe even 2 or 3! :) Also, I personally like the ivory, it would probably look good with your skin tone. I ended up buying a dress that is ivory lace on top and the underlay is light gold. The colour is gorgeous.

So I ended up going to look for my dress, I was worried about waiting too long since my wedding is in March 2013. The size I got was a size 10 but I think it was a true size 10 and not an 8. That was the sample size and I was able to squeeze into it and even get it zipped up. I ordered it that way. Now I have to lose weight or my dress will be too small. It's boot camp for me!

http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/styles/801
  • sundinsgurl
    Options
    Hey Ladies.. all the dresses you guys have purchased are simply beautiful!!!!!! I am trying to locate my dress online.. its from a small boutique which is ordering it from China. I will continue to search - worse comes to worse I will post a photo of me in it

I ended up ordering my dress when I went home for Thanksgiving last weekend.

I also had some sizes in diferent area that would put me in a diff size. They told me to go with a Size 10 which is what I measured for right now. I wanted to order an 8.. but they said they can always take it in. I wnat to loose some weight and tone up so my goal is that they will have to take it in. I will try it on when they actual dress comes in mid January (hopefully its already loose by than*Goal #1!! Than they wont actually alter it till about 10 weeks before the wedding so around the end of June beginning of July. So hopefully by than its really loose*Goal#2 :)
  • LizL217
    Options
    Everyone's dresses are so gorgeous (and different!).

Update: I had a hair & makeup trial this past weekend and when I came home I put on my dress and shoes again to get the full look. It was the first time I got teary-eyed and REALLY felt like a bride. I'm not usually the kind of girl who gets sentimental about these things, but it was just so... (gosh)... special!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So since some of you have stepped foot into a bridal store already (I'm dreading it! It's my second marriage, and I know how long it took then! LOL!)....

When do they suggest that you start looking/purchase your gown by? My wedding is August 10, 2013 and I have yet to even start the hunt. Nov and Dec are very busy months for us with 4 birthdays and 3 major holidays in 6 weeks time. I want to make sure I've got myself plenty of time to look and then get it ordered.
  • LizL217
    Options
    I think as long as you have your dress selected by about the 4-months-to-go mark, to allow plenty of time for alterations and selection of appropriate accessories, I think you'll be fine. In terms of when to start the hunt... why not start now at least by having pictures of some styles that you like? It will make the actual process at the bridal shop much easier if you have it narrowed down somewhat. And definitely have a specific budget in mind when you're looking as well.

I went an unconventional route in acquiring my wedding dress, so can't give too much guidance on this one :)
  • andonsmama
    Options
    aww all these dresses are so pretty! i love looking at wedding gowns!
    do any of you watch Four Weddings on TLC?? well this week my dress was on one of the brides!!! she was tall and thin, i am short (5'4) and will be thin. It gave me a little extra motivation LOL
    i tried on a total of 6 gowns and the one i picked was the first one i tried on :) i just love it. we are having a destination wedding so i needed something light that would travel well.
    i bought mine 9 months before the wedding.
  • sundinsgurl
    Options
    do any of you watch Four Weddings on TLC?? well this week my dress was on one of the brides!!! she was tall and thin, i am short (5'4) and will be thin. It gave me a little extra motivation LOL

YES!!! I love love loveeee this show!!!!!! Awesome that ur dress was on one of the girls :P ur totally right to use it as extra motivation

As for timeline I went dress shopping in Aug just over a year from my wedding, had no idea how long it would tae to find the one I wanted. Went again a couple weeks later and thought I found the one. I went back again to the same store in Oct and finally purchased it :) I just wanted to get things done
  • BeginningNew2012
    Options
    I was so excited that as soon as my fiance proposed, I got online lol. I had a printout of abou 12 dresses in a wedding binder that I made to help organize everything. I went to davids bridal by the end of August and the girl helping me couldn't believe how prepared I was. I figured it would be less of a headache if I already had a good idea of the looks/styles I wanted to try on. The dress I picked was actually one I found the day before going and I really wasn't sure about it. As soon as I stepped into it, I felt beautiful and didn't want to take it off.
    It's never too early to look. I've had my dress since september and my wedding is just under a year away.
  • stephske2
    Options
    I already purchased my dress.. its was a designer blow out and the dress fit perfectly I couldnt pass it up. When (not if) I loose wieght they said it would be easy to alter.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm actually really nervous about alterations... I ordered my dress over 2 months ago, of course in the size that I was at the time. I was a 14ish in regular clothes, and the sample I tried on was a 16, and did zip fully closed, but was a little snug. So, I was strongly recommended to order an 18.

So here it is in the 16:

BlueEnzoaniCincinnati_zpse43eb6a9.jpg

Sooo... given that I am already 15 lbs down from that, and *hopefully*, if all goes as planned, I will have lost a whole bunch more by the time alterations begin for the wedding (which is next July)... that 18 will be HUGE. I'm really hoping my seamstress is amazing. Very nervous about it! :ohwell: