25 Not-so-healthy Health Foods

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
Don't accidentally sabotage yourself. Know about these 25 not-so-healthy "health" foods:

http://www.getmealplans.com/blog/2012/10/19/25-seemingly-healthy-foods-are-actually-unhealthy/

Replies

• AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I need to start getting plain yorgurt again. For a while I strained and made my own greek but got in habit of buying the sweetened greek Kroger brand. List of ingredients is a little to long!

Also going to try the paper bag pop corn. We recently gave away our stock of microwave corn. Not that good tasting and way high in sodium!

But sorry can't give up occasional sushi! I never thought of it as healthy tho lol.
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    How about sashimi???? ;c)
  • espree70
    espree70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    great article! Your a pioneer Alice =)
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    LOL - Well, if Google is the Wild West, then you're right!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can only do salmon or tuna sashimi lol. I can handle raw fish better in a rolled sushi. I guess there are worse things I could eat...like pizza of which I have had 2 slices today + some kale chips and 2 diet pops and of course black coffee and a (large) glass of merlot. Too embarassed to fill out my diary lol. Fixing some quinoa/black bean stuffed peppers to redeem my intake for the day.
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed! This is about YOU, not about anybody else. Record it as best you can so that YOU can spot trends and see what works and what doesn't. Nobody else matters. Do it for you!
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed! This is about YOU, not about anybody else. Record it as best you can so that YOU can spot trends and see what works and what doesn't. Nobody else matters. Do it for you!

That deserves a bump!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    That was a good article. Thanks!
    Having had to reduce sodium for health reasons, I have been shocked by how much sodium I was eating. Nowadays I steer clear of a lot of foods mentioned in the article. Makes a huge difference for me.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Great Article!

I actually went to get some dried blueberries last night because it sounded tasty and WOWZA the sugar was off the chain! Left that bag on the shelf! lol

Question: has anyone here ever eaten Kale Chips? Just curious as I checked out the link to the recipe and it sounds intriguing.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    I've made my own kale chips... can't find any that aren't loaded with salt. Easy to make, too. Lots of good recipes out there.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    It's strange to find so much sugar and salt lurking in things like bread. Sigh.
  • juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It seems like there is a lot of salt in everything. I try not to eat salt and find that a lot of food has too much as it is, for me anyway. Guess it is used as a preservative. :wink:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing...interesting
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Good stuff - except I refuse to believe that dairy is bad for you! Or, at least, I don't care.

Cheese is da bomb! (and the main culprit on the days I fall off the wagon)
  • lisabinco
    Options
    It seems like there is a lot of salt in everything. I try not to eat salt and find that a lot of food has too much as it is, for me anyway. Guess it is used as a preservative. :wink:
    My everyday battle is trying not to eat salt as it makes me feel crappy, and for health reasons. You're right, it is in everything! Basically I make almost everything myself now. Not a bad thing, really. I am becoming a much better cook, and have learned to cook (and eat) a whole lot more variety of vegetables and fruits, use spices more creatively, and get to stay off the meds.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Some good advice there, but eliminating whole categories of food is a recipe for disaster for me! Moderation in all things, I say. And the science on dairy is not as definitive as he claims AT ALL.
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been using the paper bags for popcorn and it is fantastic!! And I like it because I can flavor it any way I like depending on what I am in the mood for....