What's your cal intake?

Options
servilia
servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
Hi. I'm concerned about my weight gain so far. I started at 5'9" and 140lbs and I've already gained 29lbs at only 24.5 weeks! I just wanted to compare my cal intake to some others. My daily goal is 1950 but most days I'm over by 100-200 and some days I don't even bother to log because I'm afraid of what it will add up to so you can only imagine. So I'm wondering what's your intake and how much should it be?

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 weeks and eat 2600 plus exercise calories if I'm hungry. I gained most of my weight early and it has since tapered off, so I think 2600 is good for me for now. I'm about 24lbs up at this point.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I average 2250 - 2400/day total (not net). I exercise at least four days a week. I'm six feet tall and weighed 205 pre-pregnancy. I've gained 14 lbs and I'm 22 weeks along.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Those days you're going over should be logged anyway just so you know how much you're going over.

I'm at ~2200 net calories per day. That number should be based on your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) NOT your BMR. My midwive agreed that I only needed maybe 100-300 extra calories per day (over my TDEE) since I was overweight before pregnancy. If you're at a healthy BMI before, you'll gain more, and that's okay.

Definitely don't panic, but do try to get a better handle on your eating and fitness habits.

I'm at around 23 weeks and up 13 lbs.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I wish I could exercise but dr has banned that because of bleeding issues. I'll do a recalculation of my cal needs today.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm concerned about my weight gain so far. I started at 5'9" and 140lbs and I've already gained 29lbs at only 24.5 weeks! I just wanted to compare my cal intake to some others. My daily goal is 1950 but most days I'm over by 100-200 and some days I don't even bother to log because I'm afraid of what it will add up to so you can only imagine. So I'm wondering what's your intake and how much should it be?

I'm also 5'9", and was 139lbs when I got pregnant. I switched to maintenance cals, and updated my weight peridocally to bring my cals up a bit as my pregnancy progressed. Some people say to add x cals per trimester, but I have absolutely no problem gaining weight on maintenance. Right now I am 38w4d, weighed 175lbs this morning (+36lbs), and my calorie goal is 1900 cals + exercise cals per day (that's what MFP gave me for maintenance several weeks ago and I'm still gaining, so I haven't readjusted in a while). Some days I'm a little under, some days a little over, but it usually balances out. Oh, and I don't track my food on weekends (but I don't pig out, either! I'm just busy/need a mental break). I gained quickly near the end of my 2nd tri and early 3rd tri, but it has settled down again. I'm a little over my 35lb "goal", but I'm not worried about it. Every woman is different, every pregnancy is different. My SIL gained 55lbs with her 1st, 30-ish lbs with her 2nd (although she arrived at 35wks), and 15lbs with her 3rd (who arrived just shy of 37wks). Just goes to show how even one person can have dramatically different gains!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 36 weeks and I'm intaking around 2400-2500. Before i got pregnant I was eating around 2000 and maintaining. I have gained 49lbs@ 36 weeks though. But I have been truly hungry most of the time and never force myself to eat. I have also been pretty active up until the last few weeks.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2000-2300 calories a day and I'm 20 weeks. I've gained about 12 lbs so far. I'm 5'8" and I was 164 lbs before I got pregnant, so I was just on the border of overweight when I got pregnant.

I hope to maintain the steady weight gain as I get further along. Good luck and try not to worry too much. Your body will do what it needs to and just try to eat as healthy as you can.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started at 150. I've been pretty consistently eating between 2200-2500. And, I really try to record everything I eat. I'm at almost 31 weeks now, with a gain of 29 pounds. I really wanted to keep it at 20-25 total, but obviously, that's just not happening, and I need to mentally move on. I will say, I just realized I probably "should" be eating much less (like, 1900-2100 range) to have hit that weight goal. But, by God, I really am hungry, so I think I'm just going to have to accept a higher pregnancy gain than I wanted, and plan to follow that saying: "9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off."
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started at 150 lbs. First tri I was at maintenance cals and second-third trimesters I'll be at maintenance + 250, so right now I'm at 2120 cals per day and at 24 weeks I'm only up 12 lbs.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started at 150 lbs. First tri I was at maintenance cals and second-third trimesters I'll be at maintenance + 250, so right now I'm at 2120 cals per day and at 24 weeks I'm only up 12 lbs.

Girl, I'm jealous! :-)
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Girl, I'm jealous! :-)

Me too!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I just left mine alone at maintenance and I have been gaining at a steady rate. I can never seem to eat more than 2000 cals. I have been averaging 1750-2000 a day. There are weeks I will eat more cause I am constantly hungry, but recently my appetite has gone down. I also have weeks where I gain a lot and then I have weeks I won't gain. I am almost 28 weeks and gained 21lbs. My prepregnancy weight started at 124 and I am 5'5. Before pregnancy I was maintaining with eating 1500-1700 a day. So just play with the numbers and see what works best for you :))
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am 11 weeks today and I have my calories up to maintenance which is 2070 and I usually eat all of them and some days I go over by 100-200. I log every day even when I don't wanna! I have only gained between 2-3lbs so far. This is my third pregnancy, with my boys I only gained 16lbs and then 17 lbs with my youngest. I was also very much over weight. This pregnancy I was still in weight loss mode and got all the way down to 185 and some change....it will be very interesting to see what I look like pregnant and UNDER 250lbs....
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat around 2000....but since being in the third trimester my appetite has majorly decreased so I'm lucky if i eat 1700! I am only 5'1" and my starting weight was 150 (still considered "overweight") so i think that's why my cals are lower than most of the above!

Oh and I'm 33 weeks
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am consuming around 2000 calories a day and have gained 2-3 pounds I am 15 weeks