does your dog bark or howl or both?

jerbear1962
jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
Depending on what Shadow wants he starts to howl and in his howl he sort of says Back Door, Yes and No I've been working on I Love You and he has three syllables going but it doesn't sound like I love you yet. Now when the neighbor puts out his dog or someone gets to close to the fence he barks. Or if he's outside and it starts to rain he'll bark and scratch on the back door.

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    No bark here, Goober will get the correct amount of woo woo's for cookies and I want out. Ask him if he is ready to go for a walk and to go get his leash and he gets all excited and it sounds like he is being gutted, the woos turn into a fast, high pitched woos, yowls and growls combined. It rather embarrassing :embarassed: as he is still pretty vocal till we reach the park entrance a couple of houses down the street, after that he is nice and quiet again :huh:
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    :tongue: Rain rarely barks, if she does it's usually because some 'intruder' dares set foot in the driveway or comes near the backyard....even the neighbors backyard is now guarded as Rain loves them and thinks that she has to look out for them. Needless to say, they had a few handymen over this summer and Rain was totally bent out of shape that these people just walked in the neighbors back yard and nobody did anything about it.......other than that, she's a howler and 'singer'. she usually howls (and it sounds pitiful) for a few minutes if I am not home around 430pm. Nobody complains about it but one of the neighbor (Rains adopted neighbor-see above) is often outside to garden and if she is close to my house she can hear her. Rain also howls/sings when the landline rings........and sometimes answers questions like 'you want to go walk/ ride in the car/have a cookie' with a short singsong howl. No "I love you's" though, she is either a bit too daft or stubborn for that :laugh: Jerbear, once you have Shadow talking, have him teach Rain a trick or two........:drinker: And if Goober can count he can certainly start teaching math around here!!!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    if Goober can count he can certainly start teaching math around here!!!

I dont know if he can count or not, I started him off with coo kies woo woo , I want out woo woo woo etc...some days I do a double take as I swear he actually said it, like most huskies he can be very vocal and makes his point well known :laugh:
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Ours is a howler growler! Her "breakfast' howl" is like "wooooo-woooo-wOOO ah raw raw"

She will bark if we're getting her super excited and playing in the back yard... and (god I hate to say this)... she barks at people who are either asian or pacific islander. I swear we didn't teach her that!
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    For the longest time I thought that Buck's bark was "broken". He never made a sound. Now he does more of a "r-ah-ow".....the best to describe it...but at different levels. High pitched when he's excited, low and throaty when he wants outside, and kind of an in between when he's playing. He does flat out bark when a stranger comes to close to the yard. I've never heard him howl, although my buddy ALMOST had him howling this past weekend...it was pretty funny to watch...think grown man on all fours howling in front of the dog, who's "r-ah-owing" as loud as he can in the middle of the kitchen...oh ya...entertainment at it's best!
  • HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Sasha, my oldest black and white one will bark when she wants to go out or is looking for her ball. Nero, my big grey and white one howls only. I used to think it was cute and funny and now it just becomes annoying because he does it all the time. Other people thing its funny. When I am on the phone at work he will come into my office and start howling. People on the other end have no idea. Then Kaia, my youngest and red/white does a little of both. I think she is trying to immulate the two older dogs
  • My husky doesn't bark at people or when people are around. She barks at deer and howls when she's alone :(
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    both dogs bark but if i work at it parker will howl. snack size sunmaid raisins box makes a great whistle - parker will howl when you blow the "whistle".