Practice for 100 miles

Options
IrshRnr56
IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
I ran 6 today and have a 5K tomorrow morning. I'm ramping up, did 6 and 3 milers last week. I'm going to run Tuesday with my longtime 5 mile running group. I haven't been out to run with them for 3 months (( I was feeling to fat in the belly but having lost 3 4 pounds over the last 2 weeks, my confidence is coming back!
What type of running/walking/hiking are you all doing currently to get ready?

Replies

• IrshRnr56
    Options
    Correction! I've lost between 3 & 4 pounds.
  • krissy0511
    krissy0511 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a half marathon and that is this Sunday. This is my second half and the most miles I have logged in one month is 85, so I hope I can get to 100 in November! I run 5 or 6 times a week and usually going between 2 to 4 miles per run. My plan for november is to run 5 miles 5 days a week and have 2 days a week either off or just less mileage on those days.
  • honeycat22000
    honeycat22000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a walker, but still want to be part of this challenge. I try to do 3-5 miles for 5 days, and then a long walk (8-10 miles) on the weekend. I take the day before my long walk off, except for weight training.
  • IrshRnr56
    Options
    Krissy, as long as the weather behaves, you can certainly increase your current mileage from 85/month to 100/month in November. Which half marathon are you running?
  • IrshRnr56
    Options
    One more detail about long distance running, buy you may already know this: Run a normal(ish) distance 3 or 4 times a week, and on the weekend, slowly increase the miles by one or two, until you are at 13 or 14 miles.

So for 26.2 miles, I would begin with 5 miles three times/wkly then 2nd week the weekend run was 6. Third weekend 7 and so on. At times, like a 15 or 18 mile long run, I would step down and run the same as week previous, to avoid injury. I would continue running the weekdays at 5 miles, sometimes 6 miles. At this point, most runners are experiencing aches and pains, and yoga stretching or a foam roller are needed to keep muscles from hips to ankles healthy.

After 4 years of marathons, I would run 10 miles on Tuesdays because I had the endurance built in, and then 6 miles the other 2 weekdays and could log 35 to 40 miles/weekly. A night of speed intervals also helps performance and could be 3 miles if done on a track with others who are also running laps to increase speed.
  • krissy0511
    krissy0511 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am running the Rock n Roll half in St. Louis, I am ready! I really want to do a full some day when my children get a little older and I have more time to train. I have been following a plan that is just like the one you posted with short runs and slowly increasing my distance each week. So, any tips on running a full marathon will come in handy because I will be doing it!
  • Msfigure2013
    Options
    That's great!
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am a walker, but still want to be part of this challenge. I try to do 3-5 miles for 5 days, and then a long walk (8-10 miles) on the weekend. I take the day before my long walk off, except for weight training.

I am with you... My knees don't seem to agree with me running so I am going to try to walk the 100 miles. I have been slowly working my way up and am at between 3 - 4 km per day right now. I will have to boost my average to about 6 km per day to hit the 100 mile mark.

Cheers,
    Alsison
  • campfirekitten14
    Options
    Good morning all!! Mary here!! I'm practicing for the challenge too!! I'm doing a mix of sustained jogging and running/walking intervals.
    I WANT TO RUN A 1/2 MARATHON!!
    So.... I'm looking for some help in training and would absolutely like to make some friends here and maybe even run my first one with one of you or a group from here!! So excited!!
    The longest and in fact only race I've done is the Pat Tillman race here in az. 4.2 miles. My goal was just to not stop- and I did it!!
    But now I have race fever!!
    Help!!!
  • honeycat22000
    honeycat22000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all who are training for November. We are at the final countdown for Thursday. I'm there with the 1/2 marathoners. I am running the Rock N Roll in Vegas on December 2nd. I haven't done one in over 10 years, and hope I'm up for it. I'm going to stay inside today and do the treadmill for 3 hours and see how far I get. My goal is 10 - 11 miles. There is an exercise ticker on tickerfactory.com if you want to track your miles to the group. I found it through another group. You enter your miles on their site and they have a url that you can paste in to your message here. There must be an easier way, but that's how I did it. Have a great training day today!
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We just had a lunch presentation at work about marathon training from an ultra runner. One of the biggest things he talked about was building up your aerobic endurance. He said when you are training, it should always been at a comfortable pace, where you could carry on a conversation. Even if that means walk/run intervals. He said the time when you are training is more important that distance. Your body actually will build itself up better if you train at easier levels than if you go all out. He also talked a lot about key nutrition aspects. If you want some more info about what he talked about, I can let you know. If you want a good training plan look up Jeff Galloway.
  • IrshRnr56
    Options
    drakechic08, I totally agree. I've trained by time, estimating the distance but I do keep in mind the distance so that I know that two hours of training running might equal 11 miles or so. We always took 2 or 3 water/Gu breaks and perhaps bathroom break.
    Jeff Galloway has good training plans!