Horrible Pelvic Pain!

Options
TLCEsq
TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... I had some groin pain about a month ago that lasted a week and then went away. Last night I went for a walk and was walking uphill faster than normal because I had my dog (90 lb German Shepherd) and I was trying to get past someone because we have narrow sidewalks in my neighborhood. So I switched to walking in the street until we could pass the guy. I didn't want my dog to go nuts and get all excited and try to sniff him, etc. and when someone is in front of us he gets distracted and tends to walk into me, the last thing I need is to trip! Anyway, I do have lupus and my joints are hurting, but I was a bit sore after the walk last night due to the speed/intensity. This morning my entire pelvic area hurts like HECK! Has anyone else experienced this? I read about SPD and sure hope I don't have that!

Replies

• Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Is it lower pelvis like right above your public bone or is it generalized? It could be ligament pain if it's along the side of your pelvic girdle. I did a lot of lifting and carrying of light items one day and the next day I was SO sore with ligament pain.

I had a UTI as well and that came with pretty bad pelvic pain but I also had other symptoms. It didn't burn when I peed but I did have a UTI so that might also be possible.

I've also had bad pelvic pain and at my ultrasound they discovered that my baby is breech and that she is just kicking the hell out of my bladder. I've been quite sore there and I thought it was another UTI but it went away.

Definitely rest and call your doctor so they can reassure you or have you come in if necessary. Take care!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor to make sure. I have had pelvic pain as well as groin pain and it was normal in my case. Everything is moving and stretching! How far along are you?
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've had some groin pain for the last 4-5 days, but nothing I would classify as horrible. I just literally woke up with mine and am assuming that it's part of my hips shifting to prepare for baby. How far along are you? I'm sorry you are in pain, but like the pp said, you may want to check with your doctor if it keeps up!
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    I'm 23 weeks and it did happen right after that walk, so I think I just pushed it too much and that combined with the ligaments softening led to it. It feels like what I had before just worse because I strained it. I have an appt tomorrow with my OB so I will definitely talk to him!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: This is just MY condition but if any of this sounds familiar you may want to look into this condition... I'm not saying you have it, and I certainly hope that you don't... but if you think you might - do some research and don't just lean on your OB.

I suffer from Symphsis Pubic Dysfunction. Unfortunately, so many women are told "this is normal" or "well, it's part of pregnancy" - but it's not normal and it's not something you should have to suffer in silence about. A quick google search reveals that many, many women suffer from this and most OB's misdiagnose it as round ligament pains.

When it first happened with my first pregnancy (at about 16 weeks) I felt like my body was ripping in half. I made an emergency appt with my OB and she rushed me in for an emergency scan to see if maybe I had a cyst or rupture. When everything came back normal on the ultrascan they told me that it's just stretching ligaments and that it would get better. The problem was - I could walk, sit at my desk, or roll over in bed without isolated pain in my pubic bone and sometimes I could feel it "clicking" or "popping". Thank goodness when I complained to my mother about it she reached out and called my chiropractor to see if they had any ideas for relief. Immediately my Chiro acknowledged my symptoms and knew that if I was complaining (I have a very high pain tolerance) that it was serious. The minute she saw me walk in she told me that I had SPD. She laid me down on the table to be adjusted and she actually popped my pubic bone back into it's proper alignment. It felt amaxing to stand up and walk without flinching in pain with every step. I had to be adjusted 2-3 times a week from then on for the remainder of my pregnancy - but I just want you to know that if you have SPD it is not "just part of pregnancy" and there are options to deal with the pain!

Basically - Symphsis Pubic Dysfunction is where instead of your pubic bone separating horizontally to make room for the baby, it separates at an angle, or diaganolly. It usually happens in women that produce too much relaxin (the hormone that allows our bodies to stretch and make room for our little ones). It even happens in professional athletes how push their bodies too hard.

When I went back and told my OB what my chiropractor had said - she looked into PSD and worked with me during the rest of my pregnancy to make sure I was comfortable and had the help I needed. She actually wrote up my short term leave application for work 2 weeks before my due date because sitting in my chair at work was too painful. She also helped me during birth to not strain the symphsis pubic any further. After birth - mine was about 95% better (even when not pregnant it still would click or lock up sometimes). My OB was fantastic about listening to my chiro and actually now reccomends her to pregnant patients that have pubic pain.

They make belts that are supposed to help (I have one, but I look ridiculous in it so I only wear it around the house or at night). And a physical therapist or chiropractor should be able to help you find stretchs to help manage it. Good luck!!

Editted to say: I didn't realize you had read up on SPD - but if you do - there are options to manage it! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    *couldn't walk, sit, or roll over in bed (sorry for all the typos!)
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    Wow, that sounds awful! I'm glad you figured out what it was. The pain I had all but went away yesterday (and I have not exercised in order to not make it worse) and now I'm just a little sore. The doctor did say it's ligament pain and I probably pushed myself too hard when walking the other night. I'm glad things are better for you now!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I had fairly severe pelvic and rectal pain for 3 or 4 days, and I am pretty sure it was just baby's position. It was like he was all balled up down low putting a lot of pressure in those areas. I hadn't felt him kick above my belly button. One morning, I woke up and felt higher kicks and the pain/pressure was gone.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of pelvic pain lately as well. I think I'm carrying mine pretty low in my hips, and it makes my whole pelvic bone sore if I'm on my feet for too long. If you're worried, definitely consult your doctor about it.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have had pelvic pain for about 1 week now. I am 32 weeks and thinks it due to the baby pushing on my bladder because the pain is worse if I have to go to the bathroom sometimes to the point I walk funny. Its also sore almost like someone has kicked me between the legs. It is bad if I sit for to long and try to get up and move. I will be asking my doctor about this on Monday because the yahoo I saw yesterday dismissed my concerns.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I was experiencing the same exact thing!!! and I also went and visited a chiro! it helped SOOOOOO much!!!!! i have a small discomfort in walking but it's when i carry my daughter.
    TOTALLY RECOMMEND GOING TO A CHIRO! Obgyn told me same crap it's normal part of pregnancy..
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

I was experiencing the same exact thing!!! and I also went and visited a chiro! it helped SOOOOOO much!!!!! i have a small discomfort in walking but it's when i carry my daughter.
    TOTALLY RECOMMEND GOING TO A CHIRO! Obgyn told me same crap it's normal part of pregnancy..
    A friend of mine expecting her second also highly recommends a prenatal chiropractor for any joint/ligament pains, as well as helping to position the baby if needed and preparing the joints/ligaments for stretching during labor. Some even offer services during delivery which can help minimize unnecessary medical interventions by the OBs/midwives. This is the route (along with a doula) that I'm looking to go.
  • TLCEsq
    Options

A friend of mine expecting her second also highly recommends a prenatal chiropractor for any joint/ligament pains, as well as helping to position the baby if needed and preparing the joints/ligaments for stretching during labor. Some even offer services during delivery which can help minimize unnecessary medical interventions by the OBs/midwives. This is the route (along with a doula) that I'm looking to go.

Hmm this has given me some food for thought, thanks ladies! I hired a doula as well and if this continues to be bothersome I will look into the chiropractor route!