Say hello

Options
Hi! I am Kristyn. I am a SAHM/unschooling mom to 7 all under 8 years old! I will be 29 later this week and making MAJOR life changes! I have currently lost just under 14 pounds with around another 50 to go!

We live in a rural part of Missouri so going to the gym is out of the question so between MFP, dailyburn.com, and TurboFire I plan to whip myself in shape *fingers crossed* by the end of March!

I have been setting tiny daily goals, small weekly goals to help myself get to the end goal - Be healthy and fit!

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    thanks for the invite Kristyn!

I'm also a SAHM, we have two little boys that are 6 and 2. My 6 year old is doing Kindy this year but we are rather unschooly for now too. I call it organized play, really.

I've lost 42 pounds and while I am under my goal, I would like to maybe loose ten more. I'm happy but feel like I still have too much body fat. I do a lot of walking, pilates and have been on a break from the gym but its time to get back to that. :)

My goals are mostly long-term. I want to loose this ten by Christmas and spend the rest of the winter/spring getting bikini ready. We live in NC, right on the beach, so that's were we spend our summers. I am VERY excited to wear my first bikini. I felt awesome in a cut little tankini this summer :)
  • sunlioness74
    sunlioness74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Rachel. I homeschool our two children who are currently 11 and 9. We have been homeschooling for almost 4 years now. It can be very difficult at times to balance my needs with those of everyone else. As with most of us I'm guessing, I usually put myself last on the list. Time to change that and lead by example! I have about 50-60 pounds to lose on this journey.

I quit smoking 5 months ago and started running. I ran my first half marathon last month and I'm signed up to run another in downtown St. Louis in April with my father and husband. My goal is to run a full before I turn 40 (Aug 2014). In order to do that I have to drop this weight and continue tobacco free!

Oddly enough, I also live in MO. :)
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just saw this on newest groups over in the sidebar.

I'm Nicole and I have two children, 5 and 3, and am homeschooling kinder with my 5yo.

My husband and I started this journey together, about 9 weeks ago. I'm following the fat2fit podcasts, and we've been following their philosophy. Our weight loss has been slow and steady. We bought a treadmill and stationary bike, I lift weights, do some Jillian Michaels' DVDs and play indoor volleyball once a week. I have about 70lbs. more to lose.

Our kids like to exercise with us, but sometimes I have to stop 2 or 3 times to help them with something. I have been trying to get food/snacks/potty, etc. taken care of before I start, but it doesn't always work. :)
  • 1plumpmom
    1plumpmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am Jessica. I live in Southeast Ga. I have 6 children with 5 enrolled in GCA. This is my 5th year homeschooling. Besides homeschool we have a farm. We grow cotton and peanuts. We also have many animals. I am the only one in the family that is not an animal lover. Well, my weight loss started 2 months ago. I was doing great and lost 13lbs. Unfortunately I had to take a 2 week break, and now I've gained 3lbs back. I am starting back this week and hoping to be more successful. I have just about every workout dvd imaginable, along with a spin bike. I change my workouts daily to keep from getting bored. I squeeze my workouts in at night, and 1 or some of my older daughters like to workout with me. I closed out my previous 2 year mfp account and created a new one to start fresh.
  • abusybeemommy
    Options
    Hi! Nice to meet you. It sounds like you're very busy! My name is Mandy. I also homeschool three children ages 10, 7 and 2. This week I have completely changed my eating habits even though we mostly ate healthy. I'm also exercising. Hopefully, I can keep this up and encourage others also! I'm going more for whole foods. I have some great recipes to share if your interested sometime and would also love new ones! I've lost 2 lbs. so far this week!
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lena. I live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada and homeschool my 2 kids, have 3. My oldest is autistic, my 14 year old is attending the local high school and my daughter is in grade 7 at home. I do my workouts first thing in the morning and then it's hitting the books with the kids.

Good to see others homeschooling as well! :smile:
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm Amy and currently living in Northern Ohio. I have always homeschooled my children - except for one year when I just burned out trying to do to much (not necessarily homeschool related!) My son came home after a month and my girls finished the year and then came home. We switched to a virtual school and for the most part have been pretty happy with it. Currently my kids are dd 13, ds 10, and dd 9. My 21 year old step-son also lives with us.

I started Weight Watchers in May 2011. I've lost 70-75 lbs, with about 15 more to go. I've reached a lot of my goals-running several 5k races, fitting my wedding ring again, fitting into a snug size 8. For me continually working toward a fitness or health related goal helps me stay on track. I would like to continue running some 5ks and hopefully get in a 10k next spring or summer.
  • juiceplusbecky
    juiceplusbecky Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a homeschooling mom to 4; dd - senior, ds - freshman, ds - 7th grade, dd - 4th grade. We have always homeschooled. I made a commitment to myself about a month ago that I was going to make exercise a priority (something I have not done consistently since having my 2nd baby :-( . . . I just turned 44 and refuse to face 45 being so out of shape. I look forward to encouragement from mom's who understand what it means to try to balance the needs of our kids with the needs of us moms!

Blessings!
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Hi :)
    My name is Jessica. I am from Tacoma, Wa (it's by Seattle).
    About a month ago my husband and I decided for me to step down from work and be a full time, stay at home wife. I know wife is a little different than mom. We have his 4 year old son with us every other week. During the weeks that he is with us I am active with child care and the week that he is not with us I take more time for my husband and myself.

I found myfitnesspal about a week and a half ago. So far I love it. I came here to lose the rest of my weight. I used to be nearly 200 pounds and have maintained a weight of 135 for about 2 years. The weight started creeping back on and I am trying to get it under control and finally reach my goal weight of 120 pounds. I am 5'4.

Being new to this stay at home thing has been wonderful. I love being able to focus on my family and not being swamped and over stressed like I was at my previous job. I love cooking and cleaning. I gotta ask though, how do you ladies stay sane, not overly lonely? My husband works from 4pm-1 to 5 in the morning.
  • MacMomma12
    Options
    I am a SAHM to 3 children, 18,14,&6. We do not homeschool, however my husbands job can take him away from home (away during the week home atleast every other weekend) for up to 75% of the year (though this year it's more like 95%). I've just started back working out 2 weeks ago, I'm trying to stay at or below 1200 cal a day and going to the gym a min. of 4 times a week. I either walk on the treadmill and alternate upper and lower body weight days or attend Zumba classes. I had actually started this last spring, then we hit summer, and with all the kids home and family vacations it was very hard to stay on track. I'm very dedicated this time around and hope I can start seeing some results.
  • sunlioness74
    sunlioness74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask though, how do you ladies stay sane, not overly lonely?

My sanity level is debatable. :) But seriously I worked from home prior to having children. I can tell you that it's a lot less lonely with children around. Also we are actually barely at home. We call it homeschool, but everyone is so busy with our HS group, lessons, classes, etc that we are seldom at home alone for an entire day. I can honestly say that I have gotten much better at taking care of myself the last few years, but I still have room for improvement. Exercising, meditating, and planning time with friends have been my sanity savers.
  • jenheiland
    Options
    Hi I'm Jennifer and I am a stay at home Mom of 3 boys. I admire all of you Mom's that home school. We are very involved with our children and we supplement what they learn at school so they stay ahead of the pace the school set. It has worked well for us so far. I'm busy volunteering in the church, community and school. Our boys are active in all kinds of sports and that really keeps us running. My biggest problem is eating too late in the evening and making time for myself. I'm sure you can all relate. Looking forward to starting this new adventure with all of you.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just saw this in the sidebar and joined! My name is Angela and I am a SAHM to two daughters, 5 (turns 6 tomorrow!) and 2.. I am homeschooling my almost 6 year old daughter. We're doing kindergarten this year. My 2 year old just plays and colors right now. :) We live in West Virginia.

I've been overweight since I was in 3rd grade. I struggle with self control. I love good food! I eat more of it than I should, and I'm not very active.
  • surfmonkey17
    surfmonkey17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Aloha! I'm Sherry from Hawaii. I am a work-at-home mom and homeschool our 7-year-old son. I love homeschooling and am so glad we decided this path, but it is definitely a challenge to balance it all and I often find it is my own health and wellness that gets the short end of the stick. I am really trying to change that and make more effort to find time for myself to workout and prepare healthier foods.

I started my weight loss journey at 214 pounds. I was shocked when I stepped on the scale and realized I had gone over 200 pounds. I was really clueless as I hadn't weighed myself since the birth of my son. I knew I had put on weight, just had no idea so much! That was my wakeup call and have since been working not only to lose weight, but to live a healthier lifestyle, not just for me, but for the whole family. I am now down to 181, but still want to lose another 40-50 pounds.
  • bonadea06
    Options
    Hi! I'm Shannon and I homeschool my 2 dd ages 8 & 10yo. We have homeschooled since the beginning and follow the Charlotte Mason philosophy. I got a FitBit One for Christmas and am hoping to lose 23 pounds by summer. I have found it hard to lose weight over the years because I am always around my children; I can't just leave them at aftercare while I hit the gym - heck, I can't afford the gym!! Hahah. Anyway, now they are older and I have a bit more flexibility, plus they can sit quietly or join in now. I really just want to connect with other moms doing the same thing as me, who need encouragement and pushes to get out of their comfort zone.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi, I joined a few day's ago, but I've been busy, busy, busy... I am MOSTLY a SAHM, I work outside the home 1 day a week most weeks, and one week out of the month I have two days. I'm also an artist, and spend a lot of time painting and attempting to sell my paintings at art fairs, online, craft fairs, where ever they'll let me show a few paintings. In addition I build frames for my paintings in my woodshop, do other woodcrafts, make jewelry, crochet, repair small engines, write, do lots of different crafts, and study because I plan to go back to school. All of that, along with the homeschooling and working out almost 2 hours every day:glasses: , and I don't have an incredible amount of time for posting to groups! :laugh:

I've homeschooled since my oldest was a toddler (she is 20 now, and married), I have two still at home, a boy aged 13 and a girl aged 11.
  • EforEffort
    EforEffort Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm the mama to 4 girls -- ages 7, 5, 3, and 6 weeks. We're starting our 3rd year of homeschool in a couple weeks (new baby = late start!)

I'm committed to getting weight off (finally) and have a 65 pound weight loss goal. Hoping to get the first 50 off by my birthday (late Feb).

I find it super hard to make time to workout while being a SAHM. People assume I (we) have all the time in the world, but it's busy around here (as I'm sure you all can relate) and IF i find time to work out, I'm interrupted 900 times. Plus, squeezing in a workout between breastfeeding... ha!

Anyway, hoping to get some support and encourage you all as well!

I'm not sure good about checking message boards, but I'm going to try. I'm also trying out twitter (@6monthgoal) and blogging: http://6monthgoal.wordpress.com too!
  • Hi! I am a mom of a crazy 3 year old and a wife to a crazy bull riding cowboy! Right now I work part time outside the home, hoping to be a full time stay at home mom (what I really desire). This is our 1st year of a more structured homeschool curriculum. My daughter is a little advanced so we are doing everything from preschool to late kindergarten work! Oh and I am also trying to lose the baby weight from her....ahem....3 years ago ;) Feel free to add me if I didn't send you a request =)
  • mommad38
    Options
    Hi ladies! I was so happy to find a homeschool/SAHMom Support group because I am both. It seems like it isn't very active but maybe together we can change that! :) My name is Diana and I am 28 yrs old. I am happily married to a wonderful man and have two loving, full of energy boys ages 5 and 3 1/2.

My story is a long one as to how I got here....
    I have a chronic condition that is rare and hard to treat, basically my body has a hard time breaking down the anything I cosume or eat which causes pain and nausea. I have a wonderful team of doctors who have been treating me for 3 years. Unfortunately in that time I was medically retired from the Air Force. After too many surgeries to list, as well as too many hospital stays to count, my current list of medications giving me some kind of quality of life, my growing list of foods I can't eat, and not being able to do any high impact exercise. I have arrived where I am today, tired, constantly feeling icky, and 70lbs overweight!!
    I just couldn't go another day like this! I put my foot down and went to see my doctors, after a very passionate plea, and a few tears they agreed that being 70lbs overweight, despite my obvious limitations, isn't helping to keep me healthy and out of the hospital, and that they would consent to help me lose weight safely.
    We sat down with a nutritionist (who clearly hadn't read my file, lol) who after 4hrs finally came up with a plan that would work for my illness. I am on a calorie restricted diet, I will be going in for bi-weekly check-ins, and monthly bloodwork to just make sure that I am not causing any further damage to my liver and pancreas.

But despite what I know will be a long journey I am thrilled to be doing this! I want to be a better wife to my husband. Who I can not say enough, truly is a saint and a prince among men! Not many men would stick by a suddenly out of no-where chronically ill wife, become the sole provider, the caregiver, as well as Mom when I can't be! God definitely knew what he was doing. I am truly blessed. Not to mention my boys, oh my boys, they deserve to have a mother who doesn't spend half the year in the hospital.

I know losing the weight isn't a cure but maybe it will help alleviate my symptoms. Who knows? But I am ready to find out!