losing the weight after you've gained

Options
hi i'm new here i had gastric by pass in 2006 and i was over 400 lbs the scales didn't weigh me so not real sure. lost some weight before surgery day of surgery sept 21,2006 i weigh in at 380 lbs through the years i got down to 190 lbs i was has happy has can be. then the end of 2011 i started to gain my weight back a little at a time. i now weigh 235-240. i would like to get below 200 again and fit into my size 14 comfortably i have had ups and downs .i would really enjoy and tips and help that anyone else out there can give me, i 'm glad i found this site and there is more people out there like me.

Replies

• KDIrving
    KDIrving Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not the only one! I think many of us do so well with our surgery, and kind of forget that obesity is a medical condition that requires lifelong treatment, not a one-time fix. That's what happened to me, at least. I'm back on track now, and feeling excellent, though I still have a long way to get back to my "old" (post-surgery) self. Just knowing that I'm back on track is really helping.

My tips:
    1. Use your food journal. Do it every single day, and whenever you can, post your meals before you eat them, not afterward. Then you're actually taking charge of what you eat, rather than just reporting what happened.
    2. Never let yourself get hungry. Don't graze--but make sure you eat three meals and two or three snacks every day, with no more than two or three hours between them. HUNGRY PEOPLE MAKE DUMB FOOD MISTAKES.
    3. Don't diet--that is, make sure that what you're doing to lose weight is exactly the same as what you'll do after you've lost the weight. You want to be able to continue eating this way for the rest of your life, so start as you mean to continue.
    4. Have realistic expectations. Ten pounds in a week? Unrealistic. Two pounds in a week? Possible. One pound in a week? Very doable, and if you were to do that for a year, you'd lose 52 pounds.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree. You are not alone! I found another website years back LivingAfterWeightlossSurgery, I think it dissolved, anyway, I learned so much on there. I had a 70 lb regain at the time. I too, started at 380, got down to 178, then regain back up to 248. You can do it! I read your profile, you've had a rough go. I feel for you. Hang in there! I just moved back from out of state for 10 months and regained 32.5 lbs. At least I'm catching it in smaller increments, lol. I just joined this group yesterday so look forward to seeing what is going on.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on MFP remind me of some aspects of post-surgery eating and it has helped.

1) no water 1/2 hour before or after solid food
    2) high protein
    3) no refined carbs! (sugar, candy, ice cream, cake) - nothing - even if low calorie - they pack on the pounds.
    4) drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
    5) limit slider foods (pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.) these are carbs that do have some nutritional value, but slide through the pouch very easily whereas lean proteins take more to digest.

Hope this helps some! We're all doing this together and we can!

Laurie
  • 1964tracey
    Options
    All of the above post are wonderful. I too am struggling after weight loss surgery and it is a great feeling to know you are not alone and there is great advise out there with no negativity.
  • nhenkel559
    nhenkel559 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting! I am right there with you. 285 prior to surgery, lowest 145, current 176, goal 125. I feel like I'm never gonna get there. It is nice to know I'm not alone. I feel like the more I work out the more I eat and therefore the more I weight. Endless battle. But I'll keep fighting
  • madwmn
    madwmn Posts: 6
    Options
    hi , i had my gb in 2007 sept. so I'm 4+ years postop, plateau at 159 -163 a year ago, happy with that, goal not to go above 170... well last year lots of "excuses" , even though I work at a gym I've crept up to 183. I've decided that I needed to not only go back to the basics but do "something" on a different track to give me new motivation. We are currently having a Physique Challenge at work. It's 12 weeks, diet, weight lifting, bodybuilding show. then at the end either go on to "building muscle more " or maintaining a healthy you. It's a bit pricey, but all the better to make me work harder. I will have to modify the meal plan slightly, but the nutritionist is familiar with post bariatric surgery and she said feel free to ask for any help and she'll include into my program so I succeed. Dont know yet if I'll do the "show" part at the end, but hangy skin and all that's what I'm striving for. I need lots of support to keep me on track it's an hour to 2 (5 -6 days a week, lifting in the gym) then 2 cardio no weights on the off days. Please Please Please LOTS of kicking my butt! thanx...kym (aka madwmn) I'll post my weekly goals.
  • emjohn69
    emjohn69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mindo1960: Which type of surgery did you have?

I have found the number one thing that sabbotages my weight loss is drinking with meals. It started out quite innocently. I would eat a bit too much and found that taking a sip of water would relieve my discomfort. Unfortunately, after the discomfort went away, I would eat more and repeat the cycle. I believe this is what caused me to gain weight after my RNY gastric bypass. I gained about 75% of my weight back (started at 331, got down to 158, back up to 270). Now that I've gotten back to basics, I find it much easier to lose weight. Still not fun, but do-able. I've lost 35 pounds and am feeling much better.
  • mindo1960
    Options
    i had ry gastric by in 2006 and was over 400 lbs got to 190 and i now weigh 245 i just wasnt to get back to 190 and i will be a happy person i still can wear my 14 some of them any ways .i need to stay away from carbs is my biggest down fall. i don't drink any soda at all or carborated anything havent in over 6 yrs'i do drink sweet tea.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mindo1960: Which type of surgery did you have?

I have found the number one thing that sabbotages my weight loss is drinking with meals. It started out quite innocently. I would eat a bit too much and found that taking a sip of water would relieve my discomfort. Unfortunately, after the discomfort went away, I would eat more and repeat the cycle. I believe this is what caused me to gain weight after my RNY gastric bypass. I gained about 75% of my weight back (started at 331, got down to 158, back up to 270). Now that I've gotten back to basics, I find it much easier to lose weight. Still not fun, but do-able. I've lost 35 pounds and am feeling much better.

Congrats on losing the 35 of your regain. That's not easy! You go girl!
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

It's so nice to find that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    Before surgery in 2003 I weighed close to 300 lbs. I got down to 125 by August 2004.
    Now? Well. Now I'm at 149 (I've lost 10 lbs since joining MFP in October). I would love to get back to 130.

I am always looking for new friends for support so feel free to add me and we can work this out together. :)

Amy
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on MFP remind me of some aspects of post-surgery eating and it has helped.

1) no water 1/2 hour before or after solid food
    2) high protein
    3) no refined carbs! (sugar, candy, ice cream, cake) - nothing - even if low calorie - they pack on the pounds.
    4) drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
    5) limit slider foods (pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.) these are carbs that do have some nutritional value, but slide through the pouch very easily whereas lean proteins take more to digest.

Hope this helps some! We're all doing this together and we can!

Laurie

GREAT reminders!!!
    Sometimes I forget what it was like in the beginning (nearly 10 years ago). I feel like if I hadn't lost these rules somewhere along the way I might not have gained anything back. Thanks for posting!!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You may have gained back a little -- I think everyone will -- but I think you have done a fantastic job over a long period of time. You are a great example for the rest of us.
  • nhenkel559
    nhenkel559 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know I have a TERRIBLE time remembering to drink water. I am a teacher and if i drink too much at the wrong times, I have issues needing to use the restroom. Any suggestions on how to get in the water i need and still not drink prior, during, and right after I eat?
  • irisclark1
    irisclark1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I remember about 6 months after RNY surgery thinking I wouldn't let myself regain or go back to my old bad habits. HA HA HA HA. I was over 40 years old and more naive than a 5 year old. Getting back on the band wagon and refocusing on those simple things that work is hard. I am a carb junkie. I truly believe I know how a drug addict feels. I no more need a cookie than I do a hole in the head but I'll catch myself standing with the empty cookie bag in my hand and a huge satisfied grin on my face. That cookie in no way contributed to my nutritional needs...but I had to have it.

Anyway...I too have regained after my 2008 RNY. Not all of it. But I've gone from a comfortable 208 back up to feeling quite bloated at nearly 250. I hope to find some kindred spirits among this group and get myself back to a healthier me in 2013.
  • BlessedB39
    BlessedB39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY in 2005. My highest was 265 and my lowest was 163 (was wearing a size 5/6). Today I am at 199 and down from 211. My goal right now is to lose 20lbs before my 40th birthday, which I think is an attainable goal. The weight gain has been very frustrating but a majority of it has been my fault because of eating and re-introducing sugars and bad carbs back into my diet. I went for a good two years with eliminating my sugar intake (cookies/candy/etc) and then one day I ate some M&M's and that was all it took for the downward spiral. Same with the chips and snacking type foods. It is so easy to eat them and when you eat them, you can eat a lot of them because they slide right through the pouch. I know my RNY still works because when I do eat the dense protein and follow the recommended foods, I can only eat maybe a cup of food at a meal. I know the doctor has always said to me, "we will fix your body but we can't fix your head".
    One thing that I have found that seems to be helping me be mindful about my activity is my Fit Bit ($77.00) at Target. I keeps track of how many steps you are taking and my goal right now is to try and get 10,000 steps per day. It tracks how many flights of stairs you climb, and tracks your sleep. Fit Bit also syncs with My Fitness Pal which is awesome! My husband and I have also made a commitment to quit eating out for three months. I am mortified at how many calories, fat, and sodium are in most of my meal choices. I have also began drinking just plain water (4-6 glasses a day). I honestly think that it is helping curb my appetite.
    This is a New Year and a new beginning to begin good habits and I believe we can all get back on track with our goals if we all put in an honest effort. Good luck to all of you!
  • 4plus2
    4plus2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I too am an 07 bypasser. I have gained back 20 pounds that I'd like to re-loose. Advice, please...do we use the same targets that non-bypassers use? same calorie goals? 1200 ish a day?
  • BlessedB39
    BlessedB39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not sure as to what our caloric goals should be. I've just been keeping mine this week, as a trial between 1200-1300 a day. So far, it has been working for me. I'm just a little concerned if I dropped it below 1000.
  • kmol44
    kmol44 Posts: 5
    Options
    This is great advice! Thank you so much for it! I so need to get back on track and am working on it. But I like your advice about posting your meals for the day AHEAD of time and eating every 2 to 3 hours. I had my RNY April 8, 2008 and lost 133 lbs. But got lazy and have gained 20 lbs back. I know it isn't a lot, but I want to get a hold of it before I get back up to the 278 I was when I had surgery. I am looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • kmol44
    kmol44 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have also wondered about what our calories should be too.
  • chelscc1984
    Options
    I am so glad to find people who can understand! I had the bypass in 2003 and started at 330. After having 2 kids and going through a divorce I ended back up at 295! I lost 25 a few months ago and gave up after a month of only losing 4 lbs eating 900 cal watching carbs and all. I realized I never fully changed my habits and now that's my goal from here on out. I'd love to find some friends from this group!