Breast Milk Supply and Calorie Reduction

Options
Hey ladies!

I've been finding that every time I try to reduce calories (i.e. to 2200 or so, so not too low), my breast milk supply dwindles. Has anyone else found this? I'm 5'8, 160pounds, and 5 weeks PP.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your advice :)

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    it can happen. I drink a lot of Mother's milk tea, eat oatmeal, use fenugreek and fennel supplements, and nurse or pump a lot!!!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking the tea on top of supplements? I took the tea a few days, but it's very expensive. I'm not sure of how effective it was or if my supply just increased because that's what it should do. I still wasn't meeting demand well. I just ordered fenugreek so hopefully the higher dosage will produce good results. Or should I stack supplements anyway? Baby was only 35% at two-week appointment and I want a fat, happy baby.
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about supplements as well.

According to Dr. Jack Newman's site (recommended by my midwife), fenugreek can be taken on top of tea, etc. I believe that the tea is the weakest form (and WAY overpriced; I agree).

I've been taking 1 tsp fenugreek powder, 3x per day. You know you're getting enough fenugreek if you start smelling of maple syrup! I'm going to add some blessed thistle starting tonight as well.

Reference: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:protocol-to-manage-breastmilk-intake&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
  • laylasmommy67
    laylasmommy67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yup, Fenugreek made me feel like a walking pancake....but didn't really help my supply :(

and I got it in pill form 3 pills 3x a day...9 pills a day just about killed me! I hate taking pills. When I eat oatmeal I put some flaxseed in it, and also take flaxseed oil 3x a day...seems to work better for me and it adds DHA to my breastmilk :)

and now my baby is a happy, fat, TALL baby...she is 6 weeks old and has gained almost 3 lbs and 5.25 inches! she is going to outgrow me by the time she is 3..lol
  • saucyred416
    Options
    i eat between 1300-1700 calories a day and nurse a 4 month old. i havent noticed a huge drop. if you pump between feedings your milk supply will go up. when i was pumping i got 10-14oz every pump averaging 30oz to freeze a day! your body will make enough for your little love