Why are you here?

Options
I'm curious to know about how your weight loss journey started.
Why NOW?
What triggered it?
Was it something that was said to you? Something you saw?

What happened that made you think "that's it, I need to lose weight."

Replies

• FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I used to be in super great shape.... now not so much.
    All my friends started to work out, so figured it was time for me to join the club....
    I realized I was eating horribly... and that's not the way I grew up.
    So here I am. :)
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My mother passed away of a heart attack a few years ago, and it was a real wake up call for me.
  • klamarius
    Options
    I have many reasons why I started this weight loss journey. For one, I am sick of being overweight. I was a skinny stick in high school - never weighed above 105 or so. I do not want to be that thin - just thinner than what I am now!!
    And another thing, I hate seeing myself in pictures. My friend took some pictures at her son's birthday party last year and sent some to us. I about died when I saw myself and my husband. Holy fat people, batman!! That was the moment we started getting serious about losing weight.
    The biggest reason is that I have 3 children. 1 girl and 2 boys. My two boys are on the autism spectrum. No one, absolutely no one, can provide the type of care to my boys that my husband and I can. We absolutely have to be healthy for our kids. No buts about it. If anything were to happen to us, where does that leave them??? We also need to set a good example for them. Eat well, exercise, take good care of your body. :smile:
  • lorik33t
    lorik33t Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am tired of feeling tired and lazy all the time. I want to get better at tennis and that number on the scale isn't going down like it used to it just keeps climbing. Also none of my regular jeans fit without jumping and doing the pants dance. :grumble:
  • shantelbing
    shantelbing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been saying to myself for a long time, watching myself gain and gain, that I will work out, I will be fit again, but it just never happened. I realized after moving out, starting life in the city and trying to find myself that I would need to be at my best to do that, and that means being healthy and to stop sitting around all the time. I want to be active and busy! Also, I just want to be able to look at myself in pictures again without cringing :( I want to be the one that stands out, and i want to feel as good as my boyfriend thinks i look
    Lori- I agree with the pants thing! and I'm too stubborn to buy any bigger ones because now I know I will fit back into them again easily!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    For me, right now, it hit me when my fat pants were getting tight. I have been on this journey for quite some time, lose 30, gain it back...repeat.

I was always playing sports growing up and when I think about myself I still look like that. But when I see myself in the mirror and especially in pictures I don't recognize myself anymore. I want to look and feel as good as I used to.

Also, I now have 3 young step kids that need a good role model. My step-daughter is overweight and I don't want her to have to worry about her weight at a young age. She/they need to see exercise and eating healthy as a daily thing.

And just this morning, my husband went to the doctor and she said that if his blood pressure doesn't go down within 6 months he will be on blood pressure pills. He is only 31! I feel like I am on the same path as him. I need to change for him and myself to prevent other negative health effects.
  • Chuckle_n_Dwindle
    Options
    I saw a video of myself at a work function...it hit me like a truck. :sad:
  • jaysmom23
    jaysmom23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was recently dignoised with high blood pressure and just had no energy to enjoy my 4 yr old son and do things w/hubby & son. I was just fed up saying poor me, so decided I want to get back to the old me again, before the 40 pound weight gain
  • smokedragon97
    smokedragon97 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Long story in a nut shell - I was diagnosed with a brain tumor back in 2008 and since it was sitting nice and happy next to my brain stem; the doctors did not believe they would be able to get it out without killing me - but surgery was the only option I had, as the tumor had developed a fluid filling cyst that was slowing filling the cavity in my brain causing it to be squeeshed (spelling?) against my skull. They gave me a 20% chance of survival with the surgery - 0% chance without the surgery. I decided on the surgery.

Needless to say, I made it - the tumor was non-malignant; so far no recurrances; but the surgery/tumor resulted in many side effects. I went from an extremely active independant 30 year old to someone who needed to learn how to walk again. I was in the hospital for 9 months, gradually graduatating from the bed to the walker to crutches to a cane and now I'm mostly cane free. I have nerve damage in one of my arms and legs, still have stability (balance) issues, am unable to drive at night, as well as some other miscellaneous issues - but I have regained my independance and I'm back in the fight on my own two feet.

During my theraphy and rehabilitation and the forced inactivity while I was learning to walk again, I went from 118lbs to 186lbs. I've lost a good bit of the weight on my own, but I'm tired and needed some motivation. I've been to nutrition and for a good while all they've been accomplishing lately is maintaining my weight; no losses. As I've seen on here on multiple forums, you can gain the weight quickly, but for some reason you cannot lose it as quickly. So before I totally lost my motivation and since my goal is sooo close and within sight, I decided to try the group thing.

This week has definitely been exceptional. You guys are totally awesome and you make this fun! That is what is so f***ing fabulous about this group. We all have super powers and use it to truly motivate each other and its great. I love it! ~hugs~
  • JasonsSoulMate
    JasonsSoulMate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For me it was seeing that I couldn't fit into stuff and then I went on a trip down south for Spring vacation (sept) and decided as I was child free for 5 days I could eat what I want etc. I got home and nearly died of a heart attack when I jumped on the scales - I had hit three figures again :( I hadn't been here for about 5 years, lingering around, but not actually hitting it. That was it. I didn't need to be the jolly fat person any more.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My mother passed away of a heart attack a few years ago, and it was a real wake up call for me.

:( i'm sorry to hear.
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to be quite fit, in my early 20's, but I've had lots of health problems and lazy-itus....

After a long period of illness I lost loads of weight and was at 10 stone, everyone said how great I looked, when in fact I was so ill! Since then I've found, when I'm ill I lose weight and then people tell me I look good, which I find really annoying, seeing as I can only look good when I'm ill!

I'm about to embark on a 3-week back rehabilitation program to help teach me how to strengthen my back and I want to get well in to it and "catch" the fitness bug....so I've started a few weeks early to really get in to it, I've been doing pilates once a week for over a year and that has helped give me a better shape, now I just need to get fit and lose the fat! I'm interested in weight training especially working on my back and upper body, I get my cardio in the 3 hours cleaning I do a day for my job.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Thank you.
  • linzisparkles
    linzisparkles Posts: 42 Member
    Options

:( sorry to hear as well.