Share your Race Adventure of this year

Options
Hi share the most fun and why this race was/is a great memory.

I have only one for the year. San Antonio Rattlesnake Run 5mi. First time back to road racing since age 37. I am happy to have run with my niece. This was her first road race ever. Good to keep it in the family.

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Spartan Race, by far the toughest race I've ever done. Definitely had to push myself mentally once I wanted to give up physically.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just finished the Columbus Marathon, half marathon on Sunday. Great time and I'm ready to run another half marathon, Check out my profile. I've got pics there. I've also ran the San Antonio Marathon. The route went by my old high school, Central Catholic. That was fun!
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ran my first marathon a couple of weeks ago (Smuttynose Marathon in New Hampshire). I Came a long way from being an overweight smoker in just 2 years.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My absolutely best race this year (and ever!) was the Big Five marathon held in South Africa. It is a trail marathon held on a game reserve and you run with the animals. They keep an eye on the lions, and fortunately they hunted the evening before so we were safe. Just in case I teamed up with a slightly slower running partner which I could outrun if anything happened. :bigsmile:

It was probably the toughest race I ever did with a plummeting descent that was very hard on the legs, a very steep climb of 2 miles, very technical parts and a 5 mile loop on very loose sand. After you finished all of that you still had a half marathon left. It was awesome!!

http://www.big-five-marathon.com/
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My absolutely best race this year (and ever!) was the Big Five marathon held in South Africa. It is a trail marathon held on a game reserve and you run with the animals. They keep an eye on the lions, and fortunately they hunted the evening before so we were safe. Just in case I teamed up with a slightly slower running partner which I could outrun if anything happened. :bigsmile:

It was probably the toughest race I ever did with a plummeting descent that was very hard on the legs, a very steep climb of 2 miles, very technical parts and a 5 mile loop on very loose sand. After you finished all of that you still had a half marathon left. It was awesome!!

^^^^This, for the win. Okay, I know it's not a contest, but this sounds phenomenal!

I am running the ING New York City Marathon in a week and a half, so that will be my race adventure of the year. Very excited to participate in this event! Of the events in which I have already competed, it would have to be The Gusher Marathon in my hometown, simply because I pr'd.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Just did Baystate Marathon on Sunday (10/21) and qualified for Boston 2014 with 12 minutes to spare. The culmination of a year of hard work.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I actually ran my first race ever this year in September, the Color Me Rad 5K. There was a "bomb squad" that threw colored cornstarch and liquid color at us as we were running. There were 4 stations throughout the race. It was crazy and so much fun!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I actually ran my first race ever this year in September, the Color Me Rad 5K. There was a "bomb squad" that threw colored cornstarch and liquid color at us as we were running. There were 4 stations throughout the race. It was crazy and so much fun!

This sounds so much fun!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No great adventures this year but a couple of highlights.......

I won my AG in a sprint duathlon last August (I was also last in my AG - my strategy is to outlive the competition! :laugh: )

I had PB of 26:07 at the Army Run 5K in September (25 min still eludes me.....)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Ran my first marathon a couple of weeks ago (Smuttynose Marathon in New Hampshire). I Came a long way from being an overweight smoker in just 2 years.

I had a few friends do that one. I did the Green Strides Half on Sunday.
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    Options

^^ That race sounds amazing!!
    My race adventure is likely to be next month--Ironman AZ. It's my first Ironman and I am so nervous/excited!!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have a friend from my running group doing the ING NYC Marathon also! Small world!:smile:
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    They keep an eye on the lions...

:noway:

(seriously though, good on ya, that is awesome!)
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options

CRAZY GIRL :)
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My 1st 5k at Eastbourne Park run 15th September. Going from not able to run for 30 secs end July to completing my first 5k on 15th September in 35:13 was this years major achievement for me. I expect my first 10k on 2nd December will probably be just as exciting too. Next year I'll be trying some half marathons!
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My big race adventure for 2012 is the Texas Bridge Series. On 9/15/12 we ran over the Kemah bridge 4 times to complete a 10k, then this past saturday, 10/20/12 we ran over the Galveston causeway to complete a 10k. the series concludes on 12/2/12 over the Fred Hartman Bridge for the LaPorte by the day half Marathon, up and over that big bridge. One more race left and it also happens to be my first half marathon. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

Good luck to all the runners on their 2012 adventures!

http://www.runningalliancesport.org/
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    My big race adventure for 2012 is the Texas Bridge Series. On 9/15/12 we ran over the Kemah bridge 4 times to complete a 10k, then this past saturday, 10/20/12 we ran over the Galveston causeway to complete a 10k. the series concludes on 12/2/12 over the Fred Hartman Bridge for the LaPorte by the day half Marathon, up and over that big bridge. One more race left and it also happens to be my first half marathon. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

Good luck to all the runners on their 2012 adventures!

http://www.runningalliancesport.org/

WOW sounds awesome. Enjoy.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Ran the Niagara Falls International Marathon to complete my first ever race in two countries- managed to cut an hour and 37 minutes off my time from my first marathon (granted, that one was REALLY slow) and am looking for my next adventure!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Did my first marathon last Saturday - Snowdonia Marathon. 4:41:19 very pleased with that given the terrain

http://garethdaviespt.com/2012/10/30/snowdonia-marathon-2012-2/
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    My 1st 5k at Eastbourne Park run 15th September. Going from not able to run for 30 secs end July to completing my first 5k on 15th September in 35:13 was this years major achievement for me. I expect my first 10k on 2nd December will probably be just as exciting too. Next year I'll be trying some half marathons!

WOW you ROCK! Running is a passion for me. Enjoy your 10k.