milk substitutes

Options
I have been drinking silk soymilk for years. I have heard conflicting things on whether or not it is gluten free. Anyway, I am trying to get away from soy. This is my main source of protein, but I have also heard conflicting things about soy, too. Soy is supposed to be good in whole forms like tofu, soymilk, but not good when it is an ingredient in something like a protein bar.
I picked up almond milk. The vanilla was good, but after we were done with that, I got unsweetened vanilla. I also got the chocolate for the girls. If I ever decided to lick the bottom of my shoe, this is what I would imagine it tastes like. I am not into sweets, but holy macaroni the unsweetened vanilla and chocolate was impossible to choke down.
My protein powder is dairy free and basically taste free, so I am looking for something that will help me choke that down too. The unsweetened almond milk isn't it.
What do you drink for a milk substitute that is tasty, has protein and calcium, but is soy free?

Replies

• Jackielyn17
    Options
    if you find one let me know!! I have been looking for a good milk substitute, i am currently gluten, sugar and dairy-free. it's hard! Unsweetened almond milk just doesn't cut it
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Breeze brand unsweetend Almond milk when I make my shake and I sweeten it with NuNaturals liquad brand stevis as it does not have the bitter aftertaste as for the chocolate one again NuNaturals liquad stevia and ad unsweetened cocoa to make it a little more chocolatey. There is also So Delicious brand CoConut Milk.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Silk unsweetened almond milk.

Remember, you're not drinking it for pleasure, you're drinking it for the calcium. Well, actually, since the calcium isn't natural, it's juts a liquid version of a dietary supplement pill. For me, I drink it because it's mind over matter; I need milk to complete a meal. It was how I was raised and old habits die hard.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I prefer coconut milk but can only find almond milk here. Maybe just take a supplement? I can't drink milk, and only use it occasionally on cereals.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    No reason why you have to drink all of your protein/calories. Why not increase beans, nuts, seeds, etc. instead? Keep your Silk for an occasional treat, and concentrate on whole foods. I rarely drink any kind of milk substitute.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    Liquid Stevia is a great idea!! thanks!
  • evajg
    evajg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like the almond milk. The coconut milk not so much by itself but good for recipes.
    I love the rice milk by 'Rice Dream'....I use it for my cereal, which by the way, 'Kelloggs' now has gluten-free brown rice Rice Krispies!
    There is also a new brand 'So Delicious'.....made with coconut....it is dairy free, soy free & guten free....I've tried the yogurts (yummy fruit flavors) and the creamer (french vanilla).
  • ericcharleslindstrom
    Options
    "So Delicious" brand of anything tastes incredible. Creamer for my coffee ... egg nog for the holidays ... ice cream bars for the sweet tooth. All are gluten free and vegan. I'm sure they make a coconut milk that tastes incredible and has all the enriched vitamins you seek.

I'm addicted to their egg nog!
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Rice Milk!
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I love So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk. It lacks protein, but it's delicious. Everything else I've had of theirs is super good too. I'm excited too hear they have eggnog! I hope I can find it somewhere.