Trouser/pant leg length

Options
I went shopping today to try and find some formal/classy trousers for an event. It took me so long to even find items that were in my size but then I notice that all of the leg lengths say 29" or shorter!

This seems to be becoming more and more common. Do shops not realise that there are people wth longer legs than that? I can sometimes find a 31" which I can get away with wearing but feel more comfortable with something a tad longer. I find that the "tall" sections of shops (which to be honest, there aren't many) are super expensive, often a third more expensive than the regular sizes for just 2-5 inches more leg. It's just stupid and it's starting to really get to me!

And don't even get me started on top and sleeve length!

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not even as tall as some of the ladies in this group so I imagine some of you must really struggle.

Replies

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problems with pants because most of my height is from my torso (I'm 5'10", but can where regular length pants). However, I totally feel your pain in regards to the shirts. I have the most trouble finding shirts that are long enough in the torso and in the sleeve length. It is very frustrating!

I've wondered for years why stores don't have a tall section for women like they do for men. Sure they have a few longer length pants or they have some shirts online, but what about a whole section in the store with shirts and pants like they do for guys?? Surely there are enough of us taller girls to make this a worth while venture for them!
  • rebsgee
    rebsgee Posts: 19
    Options
    I've wondered for years why stores don't have a tall section for women like they do for men. Sure they have a few longer length pants or they have some shirts online, but what about a whole section in the store with shirts and pants like they do for guys?? Surely there are enough of us taller girls to make this a worth while venture for them!

I've wondered this for years. There is quite obviously a market for it since there are tall women. There are so many petite options yet barely anything for us taller ladies! I find myself desperately trying to find "long" tops which are pretty much a normal fit on me. I love being tall but the whole clothing thing makes me wish I was shorter.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options

I've wondered this for years. There is quite obviously a market for it since there are tall women. There are so many petite options yet barely anything for us taller ladies! I find myself desperately trying to find "long" tops which are pretty much a normal fit on me. I love being tall but the whole clothing thing makes me wish I was shorter.

I understand! Unlike many women, I hate shopping. I'm 5' 9 1/2" and everything about me is long - legs, torso, arms, hands, feet, you name it! I own 2 pairs of jeans, mainly because I can never find any that fit me well in the waist and in the leg (I need a 35" inseam, 36" if I want to wear heels with them). I wear a lot of skirts and dresses and capris. Shirts and sweaters? HAHAHAHA! I freeze all winter because I can never find shirts/sweaters with long enough sleeves, so I make due with short sleeves. And don't get me started on coats and jackets....
  • lashaunalou
    lashaunalou Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Shops always assume tall ppl are skinny grrr
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Shops always assume tall ppl are skinny grrr

Exactly! You're allowed to be tall OR fat, but not tall AND fat.
  • debrahw77
    Options
    I have found this to be an issue also. However, I have found a few places online that sell "tall" shirts and pants. Gap and Eddie Bauer are two of my favorites.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love Ann Taylor online. Gap is a great option and they carry long lengths in the stores.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Stores that I love: New York & Company, Coldwater Creek, The Limited, and Old Navy. Long lengths in pants and some of their tops/sweaters as well. Good luck, my friend. I definitely feel your pain!
  • mcdolynn7
    mcdolynn7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most of the clothes that I buy are made through online purchases. For some reason when you find a store that carry tall, I beoieve the employess who are closely related to one of tall girls either notifies her as soon as the come in the stockroom, hide them or but the right away. Try www.longtallsally.com you shop by, price, size, length or item.
  • mcdolynn7
    mcdolynn7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    www.loft.com or www.simplytall.net (has great sells) try the latter one first. GOOD LUCK