New

bastie33
bastie33 Posts: 7 Member
Hello everyone. I'm not used to joining groups or anything- but I got advice from a friend on here to check out this group. I'm in the first week of my 3rd trimester, and am terrified of gaining too much weight (doc said I should have gained 15 pounds only, I'm double that now!). I have fairly good behavior when it comes to food consumption, but I do have a problem with PCOS and insulin resistance. Any advice or motivation would be helpful. Hope everyone is doing well!

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Welcome, I have found out that pregnancy weight gain makes no sense, and just do the best you can. It's a great group!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 913 Member
    Glad to see you here :) Ditto what chickybuns said - just do your best! And you may want to friend some other women in this group as I find it really helpful to keep in touch with pregnant friends every day! After all, we all understand what each other is going through :) Welcome!
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Exactly what chickybuns said - weight gain makes no sense!

Welcome to the group!

I have also gained over what is recommended, but I'm done stressing about it. I have a plan in place for after my baby is born, and I am very motivated to stick to it!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Just like everyone else, I agree with Chickybuns.

And I feel your pain. I had been doing a fairly slow steady weight gain until week 27. Up to then, I had gained 18 pounds, and I thought I could keep my gain under 30. Then, between weeks 27 and 32, I gained 12 pounds. Meaning, I have gained 30 pounds...and I've got 8 weeks to go...so...

I tried to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong food-wise, but looking at my stats, I could figure out no rational explanation for such a rapid weight gain except that (as Chickybuns said) my body is just doing what it wants to. I know I am basically eating healthy, so I am not going to beat myself up.

This is a great group, by the way! People are starting to post really motivational stories of rapid weight loss after delivery through great-feeding, and I find those are helping me now! :-)

Welcome!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    *great-feeding=breast-feeding* damn you, autocorrect.
  • bastie33
    Auto-correct always makes for funny comments! :-D Speaking of breast feeding- not sure if I'm going to or not. I'm a little concerned about my metformin medication and topimax medication. Bleh. That will be something to worry about later.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Hello everyone. I'm not used to joining groups or anything- but I got advice from a friend on here to check out this group. I'm in the first week of my 3rd trimester, and am terrified of gaining too much weight (doc said I should have gained 15 pounds only, I'm double that now!). I have fairly good behavior when it comes to food consumption, but I do have a problem with PCOS and insulin resistance. Any advice or motivation would be helpful. Hope everyone is doing well!

Welcome!!! This group is awesome just fyi!! I agree with all of the above!!! I'm with you on only gaining 15lbs...that was my goal, my dr said to aim for 15-25 but I'm 33.5 weeks and have gained 33 lbs so far. my dr isnt concerned so im happy about that!. I too have PCOS and was on metformin before i got pregnant, i don't know if it helped bc i had lost 86 lbs right before getting preggo as well.
  • MrsCarter00
    Auto-correct always makes for funny comments! :-D Speaking of breast feeding- not sure if I'm going to or not. I'm a little concerned about my metformin medication and topimax medication. Bleh. That will be something to worry about later.

If you're wanting to bfeed i would talk to your Dr and see if you can with the meds you're taking!
  • bastie33
    Yeah, my endocrinologist said that metformin does some-what help with weight loss, but he also added it's only about 10% of what the medication is used for. It really helped me regulate my period. The weight loss, I think, was from me exercising, eating right (really low carb diet), no sodas, and lots of water. The metformin was just a booster.
  • MrsCarter00
    Yeah, my endocrinologist said that metformin does some-what help with weight loss, but he also added it's only about 10% of what the medication is used for. It really helped me regulate my period. The weight loss, I think, was from me exercising, eating right (really low carb diet), no sodas, and lots of water. The metformin was just a booster.

When i found out i was pregnant i switched drs and my new one took me off the metformin, he said i didn't need it so idk really what it was doing before unless like you said it aided in my weight loss.. but i was on it for about 2 years before i tried losing weight and i didn't feel like it did anything. It didn't even regulate my cycles!
  • bastie33
    Yeah, the only reason I was put on it was for cycle regulation and to help with the insulin resistance. My cycles were terrible. I would have 10-15 day long, heavy periods, multiple cysts (caused from the insulin resistance) on my ovaries, and sometimes skipped periods. My endo said he wouldn't prescribe it to anyone who didn't have these issues, or just as a weight loss medication. My periods went from completely insane to some-what 28 day cycles. And like I said, there was no ovulation going on (another symptom of PCOS). I'm very happy with the metformin (not on it now, due to baby!), because I feel like it helped me get to the pregnancy that my hubby and I have been trying for for 3 years! :-D
  • MrsCarter00
    Yeah, the only reason I was put on it was for cycle regulation and to help with the insulin resistance. My cycles were terrible. I would have 10-15 day long, heavy periods, multiple cysts (caused from the insulin resistance) on my ovaries, and sometimes skipped periods. My endo said he wouldn't prescribe it to anyone who didn't have these issues, or just as a weight loss medication. My periods went from completely insane to some-what 28 day cycles. And like I said, there was no ovulation going on (another symptom of PCOS). I'm very happy with the metformin (not on it now, due to baby!), because I feel like it helped me get to the pregnancy that my hubby and I have been trying for for 3 years! :-D

I feel like i could have typed exactly what you just wrote!!! My new OB said my last one probably put me on it bc i was pre-prediabetic..and like you i have crazy periods sometimws i will go months without one and sometimes it will last a month long!! Super heavy with lots of clotting and no ovulation. My husband and i have been together for 4 years (almost) and never took precautions i just thought with my body and this stupid pcos that I'd never have a baby and was trying to come to terms with it and one day a couple friends kept bugging me to take a test (this went on for about a week) and i thought it was pointless bc i have taken so many of them in the past, so i decided to take one to shut them up and sure enough!!! I don't know how they knew but somehow they did lol needless to say that was the biggest best surprise I'd ever received!!!!

Its nice to find someone who's gone through similar issues!!!! It almost makes me wonder if being taken off the metformin right after finding out i was preggo has caused me to gain the weight that i have ..have you thought about that? I'm wondering if my OB will put me back on it after my little man gets here. Will yours? And if you don't mind me asking how much weight were you able to lose before getting pregnant? I am 5'1" and i started at 236 (very obese) and i lost 86 lbs when i found out.
  • MrsCarter00
    Sorry for the book!!! ^^^^