the novelty factor

Options
kaybeau
kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
Any idea how to stop the novelty factor, I want to run and have managed in the past to run for a few months and then I hang up my running shoes and take up the sofa. I feel fantastic at the moment but worry that its all a fad , a bit of a shame when I have a precious ballot place in the marathon next year. Any hints or tips would be very welcome, just how do you turn into a long distance runner?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race, then train for it. After you run the race, sign up for another one.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running club or group nearby?

Like Carson I sign up for a number of events each year and running them has just become part of who I am, I see you have a spot for the London Marathon - that should keep you going over the winter. Perhaps you should try to find another couple of races spread out through the year to sign up for (they needn't be marathons - just something you'll enjoy)

At the risk of sounding like a running heretic have you considered an alternative activity (other than the sofa) for when you're running motivation flags?
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's simple: you have to love running more than you love sitting on the couch. Being a long-distance runner takes much discipline & dedication. Like suggested above, signing up for a race can make you feel more commited. Or maybe there's another sport that better suits you?
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've been the person who's started a fitness routine, be it running or simply going to the gym and dropped it before - many times. Been consistently running now since April 2011.

Agreed with writers above - keep a regular schedule of races, even if they are 3-6 months apart so you're consistently training with specific goals in mind.

Some other things I've done - I've mixed up my hard training (1st marathon next week) with fun races in between too (last year did a Halloween and Santa themed race and this year did a mud and color themed run). Setting specific goals (be it endurance, speed or both) helps as does writing my running schedule on a calendar. I also tell friends and family about upcoming races - several have joined me on events (and it keeps me accountable - I'm the last person who wants to tell someone I did not do a race I'd said I was doing!)

GOOD LUCK! You Can do it!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm a relatively new runner (about 2 years now), and i agree with the others. the only way i keep going is when i have something to train for. i have learned that if i don't have an upcoming race, date and training plan, i just stop.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The number 1 thing I did was join a running group which added some accountability.

The number 2 thing I did was study the sport so that I gained an understanding of training and how to apply different training methodologies to myself.

The number 3 thing I did was set a multi-year goal (six years) to see how fast I could run a marathon. Then I set out to build my mileage as quickly and as high as currently possible to get on the road to that goal. What I found in the process was that after running high mileage for a number of months and adapting to the training load that any single individual run, whether easy or hard, short or long, really isn't all that hard to do anymore. It just becomes part of the normal morning and evening routine. Tiredness becomes routine and soreness rarely happens anymore. Then it's easy to keep it up day after day.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Goal setting and planning.

Sign up for some races, or set your own goals (e.g. 10km in 60 mins, chopping 30 secs off you per-KM pace etc) then work out your multi week training plan to achieve that, print it out, stick it on the fridge and cross off each workout as you go along.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race, then train for it. After you run the race, sign up for another one.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

x2.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    ^this!
  • lafemme705
    lafemme705 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One mile at a time!! I make sure I always have great music on the Ipod, a goal to work toward and a positive outlook. I know it sounds "sunshiney," but that is what works for me when I would rather sit on the couch. Entering a race is always HUGE motivation for me. It's accountability and a great goal. Once I did my first race I couldn't wait to find more. What about a race in a location that you would love to see? My friends and I are planning a "ladies trip" for a race about an hour away. Those are things that keep running fresh and new. That and cross training (swimming, cycling) regularly keeps the monotony at bay.

Also if you can carve out an hour every other day you can build up nicely to some distance runs on the weekend. Just my 10 cents! Now put on those running shoes and get going!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running club or group nearby?

Like Carson I sign up for a number of events each year and running them has just become part of who I am, I see you have a spot for the London Marathon - that should keep you going over the winter. Perhaps you should try to find another couple of races spread out through the year to sign up for (they needn't be marathons - just something you'll enjoy)

At the risk of sounding like a running heretic have you considered an alternative activity (other than the sofa) for when you're running motivation flags?

this. exactly this.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the above. I also use races to keep me going. If it is not a long distance, then at least a time goal on a 10km. I kept training through our South African winter by doing a trail marathon in the middle of winter. It really got me up on the cold mornings to know I have to go run otherwise I would suffer on the trail run.

Also, maybe join one of the groups with mileage goals. A couple of them pop up in the threads now and again. Sign yourself up for a minimum mile goal for November. It is then harder not to run because you know other people are watching your progress.