Fitness/Nutrition/Health Resources?

Options
Hey ladies-

What are your favorite fitness/health resources? Right now I'm loving a podcast called "The Smarter Science of Slim" and though I haven't implemented the program just yet, I've been slowly working it into my life. The podcast runner, Jonathan Bailor, went on a massive (10 year) research analysis/comparison mission to find the scientific consensus on how to lose body fat and stay fit. His conclusion is that the best way to achieve and maintain fitness is to eat lots of SANE (acronym that basically means high protein foods and non starchy veggies) and to do eccentric workouts.

In the past I've enjoyed Inside Out Weight loss podcast (to help end compulsive eating), though it's gotten to be a bit too new age and repetitive for me in recent episodes.

And of course I love MFP. Together these tools have helped me to lose about 60lbs.

I've recently added the 100 sit ups, tricep dips, and push ups apps to my iphone, though I haven't really used them so we'll see how helpful they are.

What about everyone else? What are you favorite books, podcasts, apps, blogs, pinterests, tumblrs, etc around fitness, nutrition, and health in general? Lady centric stuff is even more appreciated!

Replies

• cityjogger
    cityjogger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the RunKeeper app to keep track of my running mileage/routes. It seems my phone's GPS works better with it than with the Nike+ GPS app. I also like the kath eats real food blog. Her pictures do a good job reminding me what a balanced diet looks like. Oh yea and when I was on a running streak back in the day some of my favorite runners blogs were steve in a speedo and 21 day habit. BTW Milele, I'm amazed by your weight loss success - good job!
  • insertcleverbit
    insertcleverbit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really like Dr. Jenn Berman's No More Diets app. I listen to her on the radio all the time, and her approach really speaks to me. It is mostly about paying attention to satiety. I haven't really gotten into food blogs (though I occasionally check out Big Red Kitchen for her mason jar meals), or exercise blogs. I tend to do my own thing there - eating mostly protein and non-starchy veggies.
  • amberlou36
    Options
    My FAVORITE fitness/nutrition blog would have to be The Fitnessista. Actually, that's probably the only one I read regularly. She posts workouts, pictures of what she eats, and other life stuff. She does have a kid, and there are some baby-related posts, but I've never found them irritating the way I do some "mommy blogs".

I'm also trying to get into more of the videos that they have on HuluPlus (so I can watch them on my tv instead of a laptop). There are a lot of options with good variety.
  • milele_transfome
    milele_transfome Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ... I also like the kath eats real food blog. Her pictures do a good job reminding me what a balanced diet looks like. Oh yea and when I was on a running streak back in the day some of my favorite runners blogs were steve in a speedo and 21 day habit. BTW Milele, I'm amazed by your weight loss success - good job!

Cityjogger, thanks for the kudos! It took me two years to gain the weight, but only one to lose it all, and this time I'm keeping it off! Also thank you for introducing me to Kath! I love recipe blogs that use a lot of pictures. Also I had forgotten how much I liked the 21 day habit, so I'm going to add it to my feed and start reading. Great resources!
  • milele_transfome
    Options
    ...(though I occasionally check out Big Red Kitchen for her mason jar meals)...

I had never heard of a mason jar meal, but your comment sent me on a lovely internet journey. Now I have a new thing to add to my Sunday to-do list.
  • milele_transfome
    Options
    My FAVORITE fitness/nutrition blog would have to be The Fitnessista. Actually, that's probably the only one I read regularly. She posts workouts, pictures of what she eats, and other life stuff. She does have a kid, and there are some baby-related posts, but I've never found them irritating the way I do some "mommy blogs".

I'm also trying to get into more of the videos that they have on HuluPlus (so I can watch them on my tv instead of a laptop). There are a lot of options with good variety.

I love fitnessista! And I never thought about using HuluPlus for fitness--great tip!
  • insertcleverbit
    insertcleverbit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really love mason jar meals - even if they are haphazard. I usually take dinner and immediately portion some into a mason jar for the next day's lunch. It makes it so much easier to just grab and go. I do this with breakfasts as well. Greek Yogurt and berries with some crunch on top packs well and I can eat it on the way to work.
  • thebigdipper
    Options
    The best resouce for me, hands down, is the "Smutty Fitness" series on LaineyGosisp. The gossip blogger's personal trainer writes an awesome column - practical, encouraging, with just enough "suck it up and just get healthy already!" motivation. Her articles run the gamut - work out plans, goal setting, eating better, and how to adapt a healthy eating and exercise plan into your lifestyle. The archive is here: http://www.laineygossip.com/Lifestyle/Categories/1243

And if you need a kick in your fitness routine, I love this circuit: http://www.laineygossip.com/Articles/Celebrity/21158/Details/19375/Jessica-Simpson-goes-to-the-gym-at-Tracy-Anderson-to-prepare-for-wedding-23feb11

In terms of books, I found Geneen Roth's Women Food and God really helpful. As a note- I am not religious; this book is not based upon religion. She uses "God" in a more general way. It's a great perspective on eating mindfully.
  • rc429
    rc429 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I haven't really used particular resources, but I'll check some of these out! I do use Dailymile to track my runs (syncs with Nike+, which is pretty accurate for me).