wanting to begin stronglifts

Options
makeoverpm
makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
I've read the very excellent summary of how to start by Tameko, thank you!

Just wondering what kind of rest time I should be aiming for between reps?

Replies

• CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    For me it has increased as the weight has increased. When I started with just the olympic bar it was easier to take off 30 seconds or so and then get right back into it. Depending on the day and lift, I'm up to almost 2 minutes between now. Especially on the Over Head Press!

Just take your time and get as much rest as you feel you need to complete the next set sucessfully.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yep the lighter you go the smaller the breaks, I tend towards 2 minutes at the weights I am at and sometimes 5 mins between each different exercise...some days you may feel more pumped (have more energy) that others, go with what your body is telling you...but don't let the rests turn into long meandering time wasters...
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have the iPhone app and it has a timer for when you complete a set - for easy lighter weight its about 30-90 seconds for heavier weights it suggests 3 minutes
  • siriusalien
    Options
    I too use the smart phone apps which are very helpful. I have alos found that as weights increase so do my needed rests. My 30 min sessions are now closer to 45 mins.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My 30 min sessions are now closer to 45 mins.

Same here.

I have the added benefit of lifting at home, so I don't have to worry about anyone waiting for me, so I take my good old sweet time. Sometimes I just sit on my bench and watch a minute or two of tv between sets or reps, sometimes I start a load of laundry, sometimes I scoop the cat boxes, sometimes I check MFP or play Words with Friends. :laugh: As long as it all gets done, I don't pay that close of attention to how long I'm resting or how long it all takes.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the added benefit of lifting at home, so I don't have to worry about anyone waiting for me, so I take my good old sweet time. Sometimes I just sit on my bench and watch a minute or two of tv between sets or reps, sometimes I start a load of laundry, sometimes I scoop the cat boxes, sometimes I check MFP or play Words with Friends. :laugh: As long as it all gets done, I don't pay that close of attention to how long I'm resting or how long it all takes.

Oh, I wish I could lift at home!! I try not to go over 2 minutes rest because I don't want to hog the power rack.

I think I probably would rest longer if I didn't feel rushed.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If it's easy, 1 minute. If it's hard 2-3 minutes. If you fail, 5 minutes.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If it's easy, 1 minute. If it's hard 2-3 minutes. If you fail, 5 minutes.

this
    I rest about 3 minutes now, always, cose nothing seems easy anymore :laugh:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Same here.

Wish I had this luxury! I don't think my roomie would like it if I bought a power rack for her garage.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    I can't picture working 5x5 alone, nevermind at home alone. I have mental images of me trapped under a weight for days. To think I'm paying a PT just to spot me
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the great advice peeps!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A couple minutes.