How are we going to get through Halloween??

Options
murphette2
murphette2 Posts: 75 Member
First of all those Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are going to be calling my name and second my sister in law makes the best Caramel Apples on the entire planet!

Replies

• moityrr
    moityrr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some of the mini chocolate bars and caramels called my name and I answered them!!! I think what's going to be a little different this time is I am going to take into account that I may have one (or two lol) and so I will plan to include in my daily calories. Also, now I find I will have a couple and be done instead of the entire box!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I haven't even bought any candy yet. I don't know if we'll buy it this weekend when we go grocery shopping or if I'll buy it during lunch hour or on the way home Wednesday. I agree with moityrr though, I know I'll have a couple so I'll adjust my meals/snacks to account for that. And oh, they had better be gone by the end of the night or the last trick-or-treater before we turn the light ff is going to get a ton!
    Reeses are my favorite too, but I'm not too picky when it comes to chocolate! :laugh:
    My Pomeranian is even named Reeses. Of course, she is what they call a 'chocolate' because she has brown eyes and nose instead of black and she's the color of peanut butter.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I buy candy I don't especially like, then encourage the kids to take large fistfuls so there's nothing left! ;c)
  • aprildnutt
    aprildnutt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually let my kids pick 4 pieces each then we dump all the candy together in one big bowl....but I think this year I'm going to take all the candy I like out and either let the kids eat it or throw it away...that way I'll be less tempted. LOL I only like Reese's and Mounds anyway. :) I don't pass it out because I have little ones that still trick-or-treat...ugh...Good Luck to us all!!!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I don't have a big issue with this. I will eat a couple of pieces if someone puts them on my desk, but I don't go out of the way and my children are grown. I will say though what helps me is logging. I made a commitment to log even if i know i will go over my cals. sometimes i will skip something just because i don't want to have to log it.
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My daughter lives next door. I take all the candy to her house. We have never had too many trick or treaters - maybe 1 or 2 only. All my daughter's friends bring their children to the Halloween party my daughter throws. There they get big bags of treats. For my grandchildren, I fix them all up goody bags with their favorite candy and a few surprises. I don't buy big bags, only individual pieces. This way I'm not tempted!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    When I'm giving out the candy, I usually have a BIG bowl of airpopped popcorn that *I* munch on along with a big bottle of water.

Michele
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    I buy candy I don't like so I'm not tempted. If there's any leftover at the end of Halloween night I bag it up and take it to work. An hour in the kitchen there and it's all gone.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Our church has a Light the Night celebration on Wednesday and even through it's mostly geared for kids my husband and I are going. That way we're not home so I don't have to buy candy because my husband would eat half of it before the kids got here anyhow! He loves sugar/candy so I try not to have any in the house.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm blessed... candy is not my weakness. I can leave it alone for months at a time. Then there's the fact that we live out in the country and won't have many, if any, trick-or-treaters. IF I buy candy, one bag should do it. My kids didn't make any specific costume requests until recently, and what they want isn't doable on short notice. If they get invited to a party, we'll throw something together. If not, I may buy them just a few treats to enjoy.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Reese cups, thats my grandsons favorite candy and mine too! I bought a bag 2 weeks ago for him and had to replace them twice already. Can't wait till Halloween is over!
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Since we now have two grandsons, we've started joining them on their Halloween trek so we don't give out candy anymore. We actually stopped doing it after our kids left home. The area we live in is well established and all the young ones have grown up to have their own babes ~ so not many children that come (less than 5 in an evening).

Having said that ~ it does not stop me from buying candy myself! There's actually a bag sitting on my kitchen counter as I speak...:ohwell:

Deborah:flowerforyou:
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, I ate the bag of those little creme pumpkins - so no need to worry about them any more! And with Hurricane Sandy pounding us for the past two days I didn't get out to buy any candy yet. Because I have class that night, and with hubz in Germany on a business trip, I think I'll just turn the light off and skip it this year. Is that bad of me?
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds horrible but after raising kids for 30+ years (oldest son 34-youngest 22) and our grandaughter living w/us for last year-we are NOT doing anything for Halloween-not buying candy, not putting decorations up, not anwsering the door, just me and my hubby hanging out in our room watching Survivor with no lights on anywhere in house. I always spend too much on candy and then I end up eating what doesn't get passed out-this year I bought 2 bags of candy and sent it to parties at school-thats it. But maybe after halloween when it goes on sale I'll buy some to send to the troops with the baked goods.:devil:
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Handing out candy and if tempted have raw berries & raw nuts to beat the sweet eat feat.:drinker:
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    It's not my favorite holiday, more like one of my least favorites. Fortunately, we only get 1 or 2 trick-or-treaters and then we're left with candy every year. I freeze it till Christmas and then let others eat it up. I am not tempted when it's frozen -- it's too hard to bite!
    We scaled back on candy this year, too, to avoid leftovers.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Tootsie pops are a great choice, only 60 calories and a long time in the mouth.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    This is always tough for me, too, because my kids are all younger and love trick-or-treating. Between the 4 of them, we end up with a TON of candy.

I think this year, I'll have them pick out a few special candies that they want and then we'll participate in our local dentist's Candy Buy-Back program. The kids get cash for their candy and then I don't have to be tempted with all that candy sitting around our house over the next few months!!!

If you want to check out the program to see if they have it in your area, here's a link:

http://www.halloweencandybuyback.com/
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I held off buying the candy. I finally picked it up yesterday, bought kinds that do not call to me and then put it all out of sight until tomorrow afternoon. I will bag it up once I turn off the porch light, store it in the garage overnight and take the leftovers to my old place of work. I also bought myself one small dark chocolate bar that I will enjoy tomorrow night. This worked for me last year. If I am going to eat candy, I am going to eat the good stuff!

When my daughter was young, she would inventory her candy and it would last a month. i did not dare touch it LOL
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Due to the storm, Cleveland's trick-or-treating has been rescheduled for Saturday evening...when we won't be home the entire time, as we already have plans. I guess we don't have to buy candy. I am really relieved that I won't have to deal with the temptation!