Pain and It's Implications in Losing Weight

Options
Im realizing more each day how stunted I am in working out. I dont have immediate access to a pool or a gym so Ive been trying to do a circuit weight training thing at home with various weights of dumbbells and various floor / chair exercises just to keep moving. Little did I know how it'd flare my cervical and lumbar stenosis. Worse yet it is completed some tears in both rotator cuffs to the point of shredding both. Doc recommends immediate reconstruction with as much as 6 weeks in rehab. THAT is NOT going to happen.

My food diary has sucked pretty bad lately and I cant help it. It's so hard to eat right when you're in pain that never stops. I know people think Im exaggerating. I know most cant grasp being in pain so bad you almost literally cant see straight. I HAVE to work...there is no other option.........I AM the "breadwinner". I have to make wise choices....I cant miss work "just because I hurt" so I work with it and through it. Im not saying my pain is worse than anybody else. It IS worse than anyone.......but ONLY TO ME. I have to remind others sometimes that it's not a contest ya know.

Anyway..its been pretty rough lately but I still refuse to give in or give up. This new lifestyle journey Ive undertaken with the rest of you is one we can all succeed at. We need to support each other without precursors of judgment.

Join me here and share your issues with this, be it pain or immobility or illness or whatever troubles you

this is Killer...my Diva...My Service cat..

100_0183.jpg

Replies

• sunshinefrei
    Options
    I know the feeling I hurt all the time and Dr. says I will aways hurt the rest of my life. Now at the point trying to make it liveable and managed been doing this since Jan. 2012 so has been almost a year. Now take meds that the side effect is weight gain. So just makes more challenging to lose the weight. So I just keep logging my food what ever I eat and keep going as I can't do much of a work out. But I have lost in the past large amount of weight just countig my food so I have see this before in my life. So I pulled out all my food journals from 2010 lost 50 lbs, and begain looking and what I was eatting and tryed to copy that. So here i am again trying to lose weight without a lot of movement. I will make this happen one day at a time no matter what I eat I will track it and some days will be good and some days will be bad. I will take them as they come. But pain does effect weight loss in that you may not be able to cook and prepare food you would nomaly be abel to when in pain or work out as others. So it make a huge diffrence in life style.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I hate when I make a typo in the title and cant go back and change it. UGH

dontletothershavepoweroveryouWILLSMITh.jpg
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hugs. I get it. I am fortunate to not have to work through it. Cannot imagine what that would be like.
  • papagator1
    papagator1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Resty hang in there! Sunshinefrei, you are sooo right about meds and weight gain! I'm very glad to be a part of this group, I don't feel so alone. My family doesn't understand how one day I can be doing ok, and the next day I'm crippled. Hell, I don't understand... Today I pulled a muscle lifting weights, and had to drop the weights, and hobble to a chair. Just glad it didn't spark a seizure! I'm suffering with parkinsonism brought on by acute idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, and of course the psych meds can make it worse at times. But I won't give up!! No matter how bad the nerve damage!! and if I end up in a wheelchair I will use all the good tips and inspiration I get from HisangelG.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know I have mentioned to you about the pain I go through. I know how you feel, but know I am lucky because my pain isn't constant. I, too, am the breadwinner of the family. I've had to take off twice for surgery and it's financially disastrous for me. I have disability insurance, but by the time I pay for my portion of the health insurance premium for the familly, there isn't much left. So, I too trudge on.

I do stay home occasionally when the pain it at it's worst, but since I use my vacation hours for that and doctor's appointments, I NEVER get to take a real vacation. My greatest fear, though, is not the pain, but the next visit to the Oncologist. Everytime I go it's in the back of my head that my blood counts have skyrocketed and the big "C" word comes up. (Chemo)

In fact, on Monday, I have an appointment with my Gyne to verify how we are going to manage my pain. I want him to fill out FMLA papers so that if I have to miss a lot of work, I won't get fired. However, he does not seem to understand the complicated attendance policy at work and thinks all he has to do is write a note for me everytime I need one. I also think he does not understand why I have to miss work because of the pain. His staff person said that other women have the same condition and don't have to miss work, so why do I?

As far as pain and the losing weight. My problem lies in what happens when I do exercise. Every time I exercise using one of the exercise videos, my muscles hurt so bad I can't move. I've been told it's normal and they will eventually stop hurting. It's just so demotivating. As an example, I have been working out to EA Active. It uses a resistance band in some of the exercises. I had to go to the chiropractor today to get an adjustment because the exercies aggrevated my carpal tunnel. I have been in so my pain that I have not been exercising. I feel great now that it's been adjusted. I fear, however, that if I go back to doing the exercises, it will get aggrevated again. Since I'm out of adjustment visits for my insurance until the first of the year, I'm on cash pay basis. I don't have $45 a pop to risk having the exercise do that.
  • Zanna857
    Zanna857 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To sum our lives: ...." PAIN SUCKS!" ..... And unfortunatly it is no laughing matter, besides laughing hurts mostly anyways. I have grown fond of each of you ^ ^ ^ ^ above. Together we can manage to keep one anothers spirits up, and working towards our goals.
    I am sorry Resty to hear that your recent work has been fouled by a body reproach. It is truly too bad sympathy cannot cure. I understand the 'Pain' you speak of. Terrible relationship, I've had with him, he just can't take no, restrainging orders do no good because he simply comes back. I'm being a tad funny but its hard to think of it in its true grim form and keep self pitty and depression at bay. Something I have recently found in myself is that just the 'fear of my pain' was enough to make me anxious. More so than the actual pain did at times. Its a strange thing that the brain does, its self defence, and warnings.... Odd really. I come from a family of addicts, be it alcohol, recreation drugs, or prescription drugs its all there. So I from a very young age was pleased to deal with pain and the like naturally, besides pain is our body warning us that we need to have a care, right? So this I went through until I was about 22 I never to much more than a motrin or tylenol for a migrain and that was after I had abttled it a day and tried to sleep it off... When the pain I had always fought in my syatic suddenly became debilitating, I couldn't get myself out of bed to the bathroom. So much for "Just Push Through The Pain".... that's how I got here in the first place :(. I'm now on fists fulls of meds..... With the feeling of little effect.... Makes me wonder what it would be like without any medication at all. Hummphh? But because of my family history I have made very certain that I don't allow the drug to take everything away and at the least I maintain my mind. Because I have been on a medication for 7 months that I have none, to very little recolection of. And that just won't do.

I'm sorry for my little rant. I think I just needed to share. I am encoraged and feel less alone by the fact I habe others here that not only feel the pain that keeps your mind from being truly your own, but also because you know what difficult emotions come to you when your life is looking at surgery, medication, and Dr.s, for the rest of it. The same as mine. The only chance I have of relaxing any of that is to loose this weight and I have little time to do it, for fear to do more damage with the limits I have because of pain.

With love Another Plainly in Pain Suzi.
  • sunshinefrei
    Options
    I so remeber those days I had to take off due to pain or having back surgery. Like to have killed my work attendance and a lot of Dr. don't understand what it takes to keep job when you have disabliling pain all the time. At this point I can not exercise as it just agervates my lower back. Heck even weight loss agervates it makes it so sore. I guess it is the diffrence in the weight in the center of the body. Well sure hate that so many people have to suffer with never pain such as I and other more sever. I always try to remeber that God does not give me more than I can handle.
  • Restybaby2012
    Options
    I gotta vent a moment. Im so sick of one person making somewhat snide comments and slightly rude veiled insults when I post my calories burned thru exercise or when she reads my food diary and sees I had a cinnamon roll. She seems to try to be friendly but then will take a cheap shot. Ive read her diary .,,as I do other people who are on my friend list,,,and it almost always contains lots of junk food / McDonalds etc. I seldom see much if any exercise and yet she makes snide remarks about how many calories I consume or burn

WHY do people gotta do this? Why bother saying anything? UGH

Thanks for letting me vent...safely
  • nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Resty, sorry there is someone whose remarks hurt you. Hopefully they are not meaning to be hurtful. Just turn it around and kill them with kindness. That's what I did when I had a lady at church to hurt me. I have never figured out what I did to make here dislike me so much but I decided to be as kind to her as possible and see what a difference it would make. To my surprise she called me and apoligized. That's what I prayed for and God answered my prayer. You do a fantastic job recording your food as well as your activity. I've learned a lot from you by reading your diary and posts so don't let 1 person get in your way.

Nancy
  • Restybaby2012
    Options
    Nancy.........you guys n gals are my cheerleaders thats for sure. I SO need it right now. Im under so ungawdly much stress at work its amazing I can even function. Ya cant tell me Im not burning tons of calories !!! The stress is causing me and the fiance' to snipe at each other too. He's a stay at home fiance' (he's disabled with MS) and it frustrates me sometimes ya know.? I know it's not his fault.........it's the stress.

Im babbling and *****y and Im sorry. Im so tired of trying to explain myself. I exercise when and where and doing what I can...I eat virtually healthy and clean 90% of the time. Why is it wrong to be different? Just because Im not like everyone else is no reason to sit in judgment of me? I would never judge you people.......the ones I call my "Luvies" like this. Im trying really hard to not let it bother me, but it does. I cant imagine purposely being mean or nasty or rude to someone. To even think I hurt someone would hurt ME even worse. I guess I need to block this person so she cant message me or post on my "feed". I didnt want to have to block or delete anyone....Im not like that. I dont believe in judging others like she is judging me. This is actually the 2nd person on this site to do this. No one gets it...I must be doing something right.........Ive lost 70 pounds in just over 100 days.

I know y'all are prolly tired of hearing me ***** and whine and Im sorry. I cant afford more pain issues ya know. Like the others here....I know pain...and I dont need any more added anymore than the rest of ya. I hear the pain you feel in your words, your frustration. Everything is a bigger struggle when the pain is bad and mine is never less than a 7 or even an 8 day to day. I hafta take vicodin just so I can take a shower most nights. Its hard enough to know and accept that you're different...that you cant do things like others........but to be judged for it is just wrong on any level.

So tomorrow's a new day and we're on to better things.......I pray each of you has less pain and more laughter. Sleep in peace and get some much needed rest.

Stand strong, Stay safe
  • HisangelG
    Options
    Resty, it sounds like someone is jealous of you. I am too, but in a healthy way. You have worked very hard to lose your weight. You are eating the right way...for you. Your way is not my way. So what. It works for you and that is all that matters.

You do not need toxic people in your life or on MFP. Let them know just once, polite as can be how you feel. When they pull their horse manure on you again, after that, block 'em.

That is my 2¢.
  • Restybaby2012
    Options
    I removed said person and blocked her. Apparently she does it to others too.

If I seem distant...or dont post or support much right now, please forgive me and dont give up. My fiance' and I split. We've been together 11 years. Its a whole long convoluted icky story but it's been a long time coming and it is for the better. I have a lot of changes to make...things gotta change and I gotta make those changes myself

Please bear with me. I'll be here as much as I can. Somebody hold down the fort and PLEASE LEAVE THE LIGHT ON !!
  • HisangelG
    Options
    Hugs. Be gentle with you.

Light is on.
  • nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The light will always be on for you!

Nancy
  • Restybaby2012
    Options
    UGH I didnt realize how much cleaning one can find to do in a 2 bedroom apartment. Since the ex moved out on Sunday it seems all Ive done is clean or move things. I hurt more than I thought humanly possible. I hafta start thinking about Thanksgiving dinner as well. I can no longer shop for it myself which is so incredibly depressing (a word Ive not let myself utter in a year) I have a couple sweetheart girl friends from work that have volunteered to do it for me.I am so blessed with incredible friends and family......and ALL OF YOU HERE who support me and seem to care so much (though I dont know why you bother sometimes...I sure havent been a very supportive friend lately and Im sorry)

I have a great need.....as goofy as that sounds, to clean and re-clean right now. No, not obsessively just my way of re-claiming my cave..my turf. When he and I got back together 2 years ago part of the deal was that he take care of the house and everything that involves while I worked to pay the bills. He never even contributed half of the finances and Im finding now he let things slide here as well. In the 10 days before I booted his *kitten* out, we had the cable shut off 5 times and the electricity once for NON PAYMENT....not because the money wasnt there...it was....he just "forgot" as he put it. The biggest mistake he made was he failed to make my car payment. !!!!! OMG ya dont mess with my precious car or credit rating ya know. I never understood it. It was MY MONEY he was supposed to use to pay these things...it was sitting in the damn account.........HOW DO YOU JUST FORGET SOMETHING THAT GETS PAID EVERY MONTH?

Anyway. Im all caught up again THANK GOD (and I do every day for HIS many many blessings and insight) Im trying to make my comeback here on MFP and get my footing. It seems awfully slow going. I have one more week to work and then Im on vacation for a couple weeks. I am so looking forward to that.

Now............all this to say.....

I Need your help. ALL of my Luvies here....please...if I may be so bold as to ask. This whole living single is proving to be harder than it was 2 years ago when I first moved here alone. For 2 years the ex did all the cooking, all the shopping and most of the errands and cleaning. I have a high stress crazy but I love it job and this arrangement worked out for us ya know?
    Im having a horrible time finding time to do normal things right now. By normal I mean things like cooking and eating right. My blood sugars are running too low in the morning and afternoons (one morning KILLER woke me up and it was 54.....another time it was 70) Im having a lot of nerve pain in my hands / arms from the nerve damage in my neck and back ....it takes a couple hours each morning to work it out enough to start my day. But anyway :blushing: I suck at cooking right now......cooking and eating just arent on my priority list and Im having a tough time with it. Id rather not eat. I havent, and dont want to revert to junk. I usta be an incredible junk food junkie on a zen level. I tend to look towards anything simple and we all know that's seldom good for us or nutritious.

The help I need from all of you here is
    hold me accountable. If you know of easy simple things I can have / fix for supper please share it. Remember I love love love my vegies and fruits. I dont eat a lot of meats....Im stuck on ground chuck mostly. I eat t-bone or porterhouse steaks now and then. I love fish and chicken (no bones or fat or skin ICK) PLEASE if my diary sucks....ask me about it even if you have to message me privately. Ive tried so hard these last few months and I dont wanna back slide now. I think I can make fantastic progress now that I have absolute control over what Im eating again.........not what he chooses for me ya know. Maybe I can re-incorporate some of my routine workouts again. Ive had to resort to claiming ANY calories burned as of late because I was unable to do the workouts I started out doing.

I know Im babbling here but just wanted to y'all to know your support is important to me.......as is each one of you. You've been supporting me so much even when I havent been a very supportive friend and y'all had a right to know why Ive been unable to be here like I should be. All of you deserve to know why and this is it.

Have an awesome day....we're a mere few hours from the weekend!! THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE, for being patient and for supporting me.
    hurrycoffee.jpg