When Do You Work Out?

Options
smdelzer
smdelzer Posts: 167 Member
Hi all,

My biggest issue with weight loss/staying healthy is finding time to work out. I am a teacher, so I am on my feet all day, which helps, but I'm so mentally exhausted by the time I pick up my 4 and almost 3 year old. Once we get home, it's play time with the kids, make dinner (unless it's my hubby's night), eat with the family, bath/bedtime routine, and then it's almost 9pm, yikes!

In the past, I would quickly put on my workout clothes right after saying goodnight to both kids, do Jillian Micheal's 30-Day Shred, take a shower, then try to find energy to grade papers and/or prepare for the following day, and then go to bed. WHEW, it's so much to do!!!! I did well, but then lost my gusto. Now, I'm back on the weight loss kick and want to know how you all fit in exercise. Oh, and early morning workouts DO NOT work for me :-)

Replies

• kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I don't have any advice because I work out in the morning before everyone gets up. It's my only option. I don't love it, but I do appreciate the "me" time. I'm up everyday around 5:15 AM.
  • happymom92092
    happymom92092 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't do the morning thing either. And by the time I get home there is just enough time for dinner and showers for the kids and getting things like homework, bills, or other house duties done.

What has helped me is playing on two soccer teams. The scheduled time to be somewhere makes the commitment much easier.

But exercise those other days is tough! I'd love to hear some ideas, too!

:smile:
  • Nelliemishelly
    Nelliemishelly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A year ago as a stay it home mom i workout out when my husband was home at our apartment clubhouse i enjoyed the ME TIMe, REALLY started to enjoy working out for the first time in my life. I had 2 boys 2 years apart and baby weight to lose. I lost 16 lbs in just under 90 days. I am now back to work full time at a desk, so busy work and home my husband & i work opposite nights so the boys only have part time child care which means when im home mon-fri its just me & the boys. I have a treadmill but live on the 3rd floor so have to have respect about time of use for people below me. Im finding it very difficult to find that "righ time" to work out and certainly dont get the ME TIME while doing it at all, i miss enjoying it but of the 16 lbs in the year i gained 10 back so I NEED TO FIND A WAY TO make it ALL WORK .......
  • workinmama3
    Options
    I really do finding time to work out the HARDEST thing to squeeze in. I work 50 or so hours per week and I have 3 kids. Between work, their activities and taking care of the house, it seems like I don't have 10 minutes a day. I would love to hear suggestions for exercises that maybe someone really loves to do and has helped you successfully lose weight. I thought if I could find something that is enjoyable it might make it easier to squeeze it in. Any suggestions?
  • JennInMA
    JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in. I am also a teacher...I work about 45 minutes from my house. This means I leave my house by 6:15am during the school year and with our two children, getting up to work out in the AM wouldn't work for me either.
    I found that I have to commit to working out every other day in the evening. I work out after my kids go to bed. Tonight for instance, I didn't get on the treadmill until 9:30pm. UGH. I figure during the school year I should be able to get my walk/run time in by 8:30ish. My oldest is staying up later because it's summer...

I really have to stay motivated and focused. The results keep me going though. Seeing that scale drop is certainly motivation for me!
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Another teacher here :) I feel terrible that I haven't found enough time to exercise this summer and am really trying to figure out how I'm going to work it in during the school year. My only options are early morning (as in 5:00 am) before everyone gets ready for school or at night after my 7& 9 y.o,'s go to bed. The evenings get really crazy because both are involved in sports and I don't think my hubby would like for me to work out in the late evening because that's our time alone.
    I'm glad I am not the only one struggling with this.
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's awesome kini324. How did you get the motivation to start? I'm not really a morning person and it is sooooooooooo hard to get up any earlier than I have to.
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    On the days that I work I use my lunch break at work to do my 30 minute 90 Day Jillian Michaels body revolution workout. I have workout buddies at work that do it with me too so that helps. On the days I am home with my kids I do workouts that they find fun to do to and it is just an extended part of play time. All 6 of my kids 5 girls, 1 boy enjoy Zumba and Turbo fire.
  • nbeth901
    nbeth901 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a single mother who works full time. So I am trying to fit in work outs as well. Not only is it time, it is motivation as well. I am so exhausted when I get home all I want is a couple of me time and my good ol friend the tube...
  • JennInMA
    JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    THis is a tough one. I have had to work out at night. I am also a teacher, have 2 kids (3 and 8 months) and I work about 45 min from my house...so between commute time and dinner, bed, etc...the ONLY time I have is night. I get up around 4:45am so the kids and all of us can be out of the house by 6ish...
    I stick with after dinner - usually about 8:30 to 9:30ish...seems to be OK, sometimes later though...I aim for 3 days per week.
  • radicalmom
    radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am needing to get back into a routine. I did some big fitness training this summer. Did not lose weight but got very strong. Strong enough to climb 2 mountains. But that was two months ago....I have done very little and am in a rut. I think I will try to get back to my morning routines. Since then I have gained any weight I lost back and it's not strength any more...my belly and back fat are back....boo.....
  • eberg83
    eberg83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also a mom who works outside the home and commutes 45 mins each way. Working out in the morning would mean getting up at 4:45. I have tried it in the past and do hope that I can get it to work for me at some point, but during the time when I have a toddler who doesn't sleep through the night, it's just not going to happen!! I have found that the most effective way for me to keep up a routine is to walk over my lunch hour. I keep my shoes at my desk, and I just head out on any day that I don't have errands or meetings! Oh, and I live in North Dakota, so yes, I end up walking when it is freezing cold out!

I am trying a new routine this month to bump up my cardio, . I plan to work out every other evening (Sun, Tues, Thurs, Sat), after my daughter is in bed, for 1 hour each time (either a walk, a run, or a video). I'm saving chores for the other 3 nights and the weekends. Fortunately I workout in our basement, next to the washer & dryer, so I start laundry while the dvd goes through the previews, and then take a break in the middle of the video when the laundry needs changed!

Here's hoping I can stick with it!
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure it out! I started back to work 3 weeks ago. My work is moving closer today so hopefully it helps me exercise. It has been about 2.5- 3 hours each day. Now it will be 1-1.5 hours.

My goal is to keep getting up at 5:15 and do a DVD. I can't do night time. My youngest won't go to sleep until 9 pm. After that I make lunches, watch one show and then go to bed.
  • radicalmom
    radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey there North Dakota! How are you doing...I imagine by now it's getting cold there. I am from North Dakota orginally...
  • ajs03
    ajs03 Posts: 32
    Options
    Best of luck finding a time. For me I don't like to work out when my family is around, so I wait until the kids leave for school & try to squeeze in a half hour before I go to work.
  • CarieLivs
    CarieLivs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    5:00AM

I have a 20 month old, a 2 year old (who's turning 3 on Saturday), and a 12 year old. My two little ones wake up crying for "Mommy" EVERY morning and then proceed to fight each other while trying to beat each other to me. So if I don't get up at 5:00 AM an get out the door by 5:10 at the latest, I can't get my C25K workout, shower, and cooler packed before they wake. So...needless to say, you will find my exercise diary lacking because they have a tendency to wake up early on most days and I refuse to get up before 5:00AM. I do however, try to do things that they can do too like jumping rope, chase, tag, hola-hoop, and any other thing that they like to do in the evenings after dinner.

I'd love to hear from others.
  • cyndyjlo
    cyndyjlo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher like a few of you on here, and I have 4 kids - 12, 9, 9, and 3. Getting up early would be ideal. I did it for a few days, but I was so exhausted from it! I thought that after eating healthier for a while I'd have more energy and I could try again - that's not really happening. I have been trying to go in the evenings, but the kids' homework, activities, and cooking dinner have been getting in the way. Late at night, I'm exhausted again.

I have a feeling that I will need to bite the bullet and start going at 5am, otherwise nothing will change. I won't sacrifice any of my kids' time - they need me for homework and to arrange and bring them all over town :) That's what we do right?
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of difficulty finding time to work out because of my schedule, and the thought of getting up extra early is not appealing. I am SO not a morning person.

But it's looking like I have no choice, at least on some days. I work retail, which means odd hours, and almost every weekday shift I have runs until 9 p.m. I do a few 10 am to 9 pm shifts as well.

So it's looking like I'm gonna be one of those 6 a.m. runners. At least on the odd day. I can't do it too often. I'd get exhausted. I just don't do well with sleep deprivation AT ALL.
  • jerzydevil007
    jerzydevil007 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i am fortunate to have a gym/showers at my job and I also get up and walk at 7am....i've went up and down my steps in my basement and wall pushups as well as squats/burpees. Get it in where you can fit it in. Don't take elevators, park farther away at work, do calf raises and stretch your muscles......these things add up.