Jennas "I can't run that"

Options
Generalle
Generalle Posts: 201 Member
So I've booked a walk/run series in the coming months. First one was a 4km walk, (walk simply because I'd left it too late to do any sort of training) which was on Sunday. I managed to knock off 7 minutes from last year so I was pretty happy with that, but the next 2 are 4km runs and I'd really like to be able to run the whole way.
Doesn't sound too bad right - WRONG!!! I don't run at all........
Last night I decided that as I now have 4 weeks til the second race, I need to get my **** together, so my son and I went for a run around our area. It's a easy, flat run and is around 3.5kms. It was hard. I suffer from asthma so the hardest thing for me is to focus on getting my breathing right. Running with my son was awesome though. He finds it easy and regularly runs around the block but he was really motivating and didn't laugh at me once. We set little goals for me along the way, like we'll run to this corner then walk. Think if I had of run by myself I would've walked a lot more!
Right now I'm going to just work toward shortening the times I walk around our block in the hope I'll be able to run the whole way in a month and just hope for the best in the 4km race.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Welcome!

I really like the idea of little tangible goals- that's how I learned to run- just get to that lamppost, or mailbox or whatever, and the next time you go just a little bit farther, eventually you're stringing them together!

How old is your son? Sounds like a great way to spend healthy time with him, good for both of you!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    You two should be friends by the way. *nod*
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's so awesome that you and your son can go for runs/walks together. It's a great way to stay motivated. :)
  • Generalle
    Options
    I am really enjoying exercising with my son, he's 14 so is in the prime age for fitness, but its like we have a little truce when we exercise. We both take it seriously and listen to each other, him when I'm telling him about weight training and vs versa on the running.
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's great! I wish I could have done something like that with my mom when I was his age. I'm sure he will look back and smile when he's older. Perhaps he will even do the same with his children. :)
  • Generalle
    Options
    So tonight I ran again!!! While I haven't been running on the road, I have been running on the treadmill at the gym. Cheating I know, but I'm allowed to cheat if its just me I'm cheating, right?? It was hard tonight and once again my best effort was at the end where it was more of a mental thing........as in I'm mental to try this running thing
    Lol. Safe to say the 4km run on Sunday is going to be hard, but damn it, I'm going to try and that's the best I can do
  • Generalle
    Options
    So Sunday was the 4km run and while I didn't do as well as I would've liked to, I was still pleased with the effort I did make. Nearly ran the first 1km and in total I probably ran 50%. Biggest continual runs being at the start and the finish.
    Had sore archilles throughout, but being at the back with people who visibly looked unfit, I just kept telling myself to move.
    After the race, my sister, son & I decided that running in a group is good for us as we are quite competitive in nature and while it's pretty judgemental of us, don't like to get beaten by people who don't appear to be runners. Although I'm not sure that applies to my son who ran it in 21mins as opposed to my 32........
    Next one is in 4 weeks time and in between that we have another 6km run. Definitely need to get some more road stuff in though.
    Bonus was, my breathing wasn't an issue at all!!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Good Job Jenna!

Are you going to do the Colour Run?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Bonus was, my breathing wasn't an issue at all!!

Excellent :)
  • Generalle
    Options
    so yesterday we had 'Run Geelong' which was the 6kms. I did badly.
    To start off with, there were hills!!! Nobody mentioned anything about no god damn stinking farking hills. I find it hard enough to run on the flat, let alone adding in a bit more of an obstacle :sad:
    All in all I probably only ran about 1.5kms. Quite disappointing but on the plus side, it was a Sunday morning and yet again my sister, son & I were out exercising and all the entry fee goes to the Childrens Hospital in Geelong. Gotta look on the bright side!!!!
    I'm almost looking forward to this weekends (mostly flat) 4km run. Almost.