Running...

Options
lorik33t
lorik33t Posts: 32 Member
So for those who run, how do you do it? It's super nasty outside right now (thank you Superstorm Sandy). I don't have a treadmill or gym membership so if I'm going to run it's outside. I want to do a half marathon sometime next year (maybe September) and want to start working on getting in shape for it. But when the weather is rainy and cold going outside and running seems like torture. (Running in general seems like it right now but I'm working on that). Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• heatherduck13
    heatherduck13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cannot help with the motivation to get outside and run because I struggle with that myself... BUT... several of my friends at work are hardcore runners (continuously compete in marathons), they're helping me work up to my first 5K, and they gave me some pointers that I'm happy to share. :D

They suggested downloading the free app called RunKeeper. Not only will it send you push notifications to help you stay on track (making you feel guilty for not running), it even has several different training plans you can choose from like "Couch to 5K" and half-marathon. It's great for running outdoors because it offers GPS tracking so you can see exactly how far you've run, how many calories you've burned, how long it took, and then it gives you stats based on your past running experiences (i.e. fastest mile, longest distance, etc.).

They also offered to help me out by running with me after work one or two days a week to help keep me motivated, so maybe see if there is anyone you know in your area (that you either live near or work with/close to) that would be interested in joining up with you--that way you can both motivate each other and hopefully that will help you stay on track.

Hope that helps! :) I'm definitely interested to see how other people respond to your post! :)
  • smokedragon97
    smokedragon97 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Lol, what does the Army say? If it ain't raining, we ain't training? They run outside in rain, sleet, snow, whatever! But until you feel comfortable I would definitely recommend the Couch to 5K program. I heard alot of good things about that. Invest in a good pair of running shoes; they'll cost you about $130, and most places have running groups for beginners. For the Great Aloha Run in Hawaii in February, as long as you as signed up for the Run, you can participate for free in any of the workshops that are available to teach you how to run properly-how to run faster. Check out your local gym, they should have some up to date information on the local events in your area. I saw an earlier post about running - I'll see if I can find and copy it here for you.