Friendship with Ex

Options
RosscoBoscko
RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
Hi all,

Been given differing opinions on this subject from a number of my friends, some with very strong views but many who feel the need to air their views.

My ex split up with me just after Christmas last year, having been together for 7 months and very serious about each other. Before we got together we very nearly fell into the very close friends bracket but were both keen to push it further and were glad the other felt the same.

Since we split up I admit I have at times struggled with seeing her, mixed with various issues like depression, anxiety and for a short while her dating one of my friends. Over the intervening months we have tried to build friendship but was quite awkward until we sat down and had a big chat a couple of months ago.

Things now seem to be building great, and we are both keen to remain close friends, I see her at least once a week as she is heavily involved in the running of rugby club I play for and also run, and also in same social circle. Now many of my friends, especially those in other social circles have told me that it can't work and I should cut off as much contact with her as possible.

Don't get me wrong I would get back together with her in an instant, but I know this is not what she wants and I accept this, but I don't see that just because I can't be in a relationship with her that we should sacrifice the friendship and connection we have, just because others say it can't work between exes, some having voiced this very strongly.

Recently, more and more we can happily spend time in just each others company chatting about pretty much everything, with no expectations between us, so I don't see why we should both have to lose this friendship, but would be interested in hearing the opinions of people on this group whether they believe this kind of friendship can work?

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you are still holding out hope that she'll come around and want to get back together? Are you wanting to be friends with her because you honestly enjoy the person or are you only trying to be there so she can "see" what's she's missing? I believe that men and women can only be friends if both do not have an attraction to each other or want to be more than friends.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you still have the feelings and want to get back together with her badly.. Then I would say NO! You still have feelings.. I don't feel you can honestly respect what she wants if you are going to secretly hold out for her.. Do yourself a favour bud.. Try to limit your interactions with her as best as possible.. There are other fish in the sea and as much as you think she's the one.. The more you pawn over her.. the more chance you miss the opportunity with the right girl..

You've played your card.. She's passing.. She's a queen.. You're an Ace.. Much more valuable..
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the two people involved and the situation. I have exes that I still remain in contact with and am on friendly terms with and I have exes that I would never in a million years want to deal with again. I'm not sure I can be more helpful than that.
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Just to clarify on the expectations front, as its a fair point to raise.

Yes I would get back together with her immediately if she wanted to, but she doesn't and I understand that. The friendship I have/want with her is not based on any expectation of this in the slightest. Have told her will never read any signal or action as anything more than a sign of friendship. Just don't see a point to losing a closeness because of a selfish wish that doesn't fit with her life.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I remained friends with all my exes. In some cases it took time. The feelings were still there, so we both needed time apart. Everyone's different.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Still very good friend with an ex (I'm the dumper though, well kinda).

Ex-based friendships are only healthy when both have had sex with other people/dated other people (genuinely, not just as a thing done in jealousy or else) after the break up. If you can stand that test, then that means you guys really have moved on.
    Until then, you do not really know...
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong I would get back together with her in an instant, but I know this is not what she wants and I accept this, but I don't see that just because I can't be in a relationship with her that we should sacrifice the friendship and connection we have, just because others say it can't work between exes, some having voiced this very strongly.

Are you truly wishing to be friends as it is defined or are you determined to remain part of her life so you don`t have to deal with losing her?
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    I am truly wishing to be friends as it is defined.

Have already dealt with losing her, when she dates a friend of yours, it becomes pretty clear.

I am of the opinion that the 2 things can be separated. I have my feelings for her on a non-friendship level, which I can shut away and just accept they are there but not act on, and then I have my feelings of friendship towards her. We get each other, know each other well and can confide in each other, and at the same time can laugh and joke about stuff. I struggle with the concept that either of us should lose a friend because I selfishly turn round and say its a relationship or nothing.

I know at some point she will likely date someone else and I accept that, just would be easier if not a friend of mine this time!! I may well do the same although am not on the look out at the moment.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    If it makes you overall happy to do it then go for it. If you are causing yourself unnecessary pain by seeing her go through life without you (figuratively speaking) then you should end it. Ultimately you have to care more for your own happiness than hold on to a painful hopeless romance.

You sound like you are pining, and spending time with her is putting a bandaid over a gunshot wound. I think you have a lot more healing to do before you can be serious friends with this girl. While I don't think there's something inherently wrong with wanting to get back together with an ex or being friends with an ex, there is something wrong with sacrificing your own mental well being. You can tell yourself all day, over and over again about how you accept that it's never going to happen, but at the point where you admit you would get together with her in an -instant- is the part that really proves that wrong.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    The only person who will benefit from this is her. Don't torture yourself man, move on.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I am truly wishing to be friends as it is defined.

Have already dealt with losing her, when she dates a friend of yours, it becomes pretty clear.

I am of the opinion that the 2 things can be separated. I have my feelings for her on a non-friendship level, which I can shut away and just accept they are there but not act on, and then I have my feelings of friendship towards her. We get each other, know each other well and can confide in each other, and at the same time can laugh and joke about stuff. I struggle with the concept that either of us should lose a friend because I selfishly turn round and say its a relationship or nothing.

I know at some point she will likely date someone else and I accept that, just would be easier if not a friend of mine this time!! I may well do the same although am not on the look out at the moment.

Read what kits said above...accepting and being past something are different things.
    You are not past this yet,you want her back,what she does hurts and you are not even considering moving on yourself.
    Before trying to cling to some relationship get healed from it and then worry about being friends.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am very close with an ex...and his wife. However, a lot of time had to pass for feelings to subside. I would say because you are still emotionally attached I would not spend any more time with her. You will have a miserable time moving on and it's not what's best for you. Pick the friendship back up in a few years.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Be careful with this....I am actually in the process of remaining friends with my ex. But the kicker is that I'm also realizing that I'm codependent.

Codependent, co = ally to, dependent = dependent on someone/thing else for a need......

Suggestion, read the book "Broken Toys, Broken Dreams" then answer if you want to remain friends.

I can say that after reading this I now know that I would not want to get back with my ex (and I really truly believe it, aka the hard part), but we make the absolute BEST friends/borderline family.

READ the book first.

Keep a distance, and keep your eyes and heart open for someone new, and understand that whomever you find for YOU, may not be tickled with the fact that she's still in your life. You will have to deal with that when it comes, you may not like thier answer either :)

Good Luck! PM me if you ever have any questions about this, I know how you feel about people off the bat saying no, or judging you for it. (Nobody on here, people from my world, work family etc.....)
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I remained friends with all my exes. In some cases it took time. The feelings were still there, so we both needed time apart. Everyone's different.

This. I am friends with ALL my ex's.
    Me and one of my ex's are actually best friends, we can talk and depend on each other for anything and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Only you know what you feel and what is going to be best for YOU in the long run.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Well.. I am trying to be friends with my ex husband and there are times when it hurts my heart too much and I have to step back. I wonder if it is worth it during those times. There are other times where it doesn't bother me at all to see him or talk to him.

I think you just need to weight the pros and cons .. will it hurt you to see her and talk with her knowing you can't kiss her or hold her again. Or do you just need her in your life? Will it stop you from trying to date someone else?
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    If you still have the feelings and want to get back together with her badly.. Then I would say NO! You still have feelings.. I don't feel you can honestly respect what she wants if you are going to secretly hold out for her.. Do yourself a favour bud.. Try to limit your interactions with her as best as possible.. There are other fish in the sea and as much as you think she's the one.. The more you pawn over her.. the more chance you miss the opportunity with the right girl..

You've played your card.. She's passing.. She's a queen.. You're an Ace.. Much more valuable..

I agree with this...
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    Just my two cents...

Leaving the past behind is hard enough, and you don't want part of your past still programmed in your cell phone. Although it's easier for the dumper, recovering from a breakup is still a hard thing to do since it means being single again, getting back into the dating scene and no longer making that daily goodnight call you and your ex used to share.

But having that person lingering in your life as a constant reminder makes it even harder to move on with your life, meet new people and turn a fresh page. It's almost like keeping one foot in the past, and another struggling to make it back into the pickup scene.

It also might be a better idea to leave things with pleasant memories of the other person, rather than drag the potentially doomed relationship through the mud.

In a perfect world, the ideal would be for exes to succeed at being friends, but in one where bitterness, jealousy, passion, and human nature exceed reasoning and rational thought, it's impossible. Unless the two of you were the best of friends before, both broke up on the same terms in a perfectly mutual breakup, both have no qualms about either of you seeing new people, and have both instilled a policy of total honesty, you're better to leave the friendship behind... along with the memories.

Relationships end for all different reasons and they start for all different reasons too. No situation is exactly the same to anyone else's so I am not in the position to say ALL ex-lovers shouldn't be friends. Although, I do believe it should be deeply thought about because it could make it harder for you to move on. But then again I guess that will all depend on the intensity of the relationship you had together.

I would say, choose your friends wisely not based on what you have been through together but also where you are going. Some people are only mean't to be in our lives for a season and a reason. Once a particular season is over we sometimes need new prospectives on what's ahead rather than look back on what's behind us.

If you only loved your lover because they were your lover there is no real need for you to be friends in my opinion. But if you loved your lover because they were your friends and you truly believe they are someone you 'can't' live without then by all means see how a friendship without the loving goes. But I always wonder how do you separate love from friendship? because you usually love your friends so to an extent you will be re living your relationship from a different angle....

And if you meet someone else and they become your best friend and lover where does your ex-lover stand? you may call them a friend but your new lover may not appreciate you being close with your ex. BUT then again that all depends on how close friends you are...and if you're not that close then why would you class them as a friend? It really interests me how people have different definitions for the term friendship. But over all I would say just be wise in making those decisions and always keep your future in mind and where you want to be. Its your choice and YOUR situation. So there is no right or wrong answer. But I personally don't see the need with being friends with a past that will never make your future.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you are still holding out hope that she'll come around and want to get back together? Are you wanting to be friends with her because you honestly enjoy the person or are you only trying to be there so she can "see" what's she's missing? I believe that men and women can only be friends if both do not have an attraction to each other or want to be more than friends.

You nailed that answer on the head.

Frankly, although you say you just want friendship, I think deep down you want more. I don't know you but that is the feeling I am getting. You are just going to torture yourself.

Also, I wouldn't be upset with her for dating your friend, I'd be upset with your "friend."
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you happy :heart:

When/if the situation starts to cause you distress or make you sad/upset, then I'm sure you'll reconsider.......

I never believe I should do something because somebody ELSE thinks its best!

How can anyone know that ?
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you happy, but it sounds like you're pining for her, as others have previously said.

Put yourself in this scenario: imagine you meet a girl, and you find out that she's still friends with an ex who she would immediately get back together with. You would probably be weary of that friendship, and it could end up being the downfall of the relationship.

What if that happens with your future Mrs. Right?