NEW TO THE GROUP? Please check in here!

Options

Replies

• janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the invitation -- I see several of my friends have already joined, so I'm sure it will be a great group.

I'm 53 years old and living in the Denver metro area. My two children are grown (20 and 24). I was a stay-at-home mom for 21 years, then became a realtor about 4 years ago. Between that and helping out my aging parents, I manage to keep busy most of the time.

I'd like to lose 30 lbs. -- again! I've felt "fat" for most of my adult life, although looking back on the numbers, I wasn't that fat much of the time that I thought I was. It feels like I've been on a diet forever, and I'm convinced that they don't work in the long run. This time around, I'm trying to gain a new lifestyle instead. I'm in it for the long haul.

I enjoy reading, travel, music, shopping, scrapbooking, looking at fall leaves and visiting with friends. As an aside, I co-host a group in Denver called "Ladies Who Lunch." It's a networking group with monthly speakers about women's issues.
  • Rannybanani
    Rannybanani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Donna and thanks Alice for the invite.
    I'm 56 years old and have been obese for about 30 years. I lost 48 pounds about 9 years ago for my daughters wedding but was not able to get below 203. Try as I might I was stuck there. After many months and the wedding I just gave up. That really was the only time I have ever tried to lose weight. My great girth just never really bothered me all that much. I started MFP May 14th of this year when I found myself at 245 and very unhealthy and unhappy. Everything was going wrong with my health and I knew I had pushed it as far as I possibly could. I was on a very short walk to major health issues and my demise SO I care very much now and am working hard to try to reverse all the damage I've done. In May I was only able to walk on the treadmill 6 to 8 minutes at 1 mile per hour and had my heart pounding around in my chest. Taking a shower was way to much for me, I would be so winded. I have moved very very slowly and steadily increasing exercise and all activity and stopped all the bad eating habits of the past 50 years. It's been 5 and 1/2 months and I'm walking 3 to 4 miles 6 days a week and I'm in c25k w8d2. I had to do weeks 1 & 2 twice blew threw week 3 and had to do week 4 twice. I've been able to do weeks 5, 6, and 7 in the one week. I lift weights 3 days a week for 45 to 60 minutes. I feel wonderful and I've been able to get to onederland for the first time in 30 years. I live in Belmont NC. I have 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. A fifth one due any day now. So I'll have 2 grandsons and 3 granddaughters.

We all have the strenght to do this. Good going everyone, and don't forget to drink that water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Thank you to AliceNov2011 for inviting me to join this group. Maybe it is just what I need.

My family consists of one husband of 45 years, two married daughters, two granddaughters 3 and 5 and one mom. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. We have wonderful hot and sunny summers and cold bitter winters.

At 65 I am probably one of the oldest here but they say to never give up so I'm not going to. I have been struggling with my weight since I was about 30 and have been "up and down" and "fat and thing" many times. Everyday, I start off with good intentions. I am well educated about nutrition so that is not the problem. I can stick to my plan all day and then about 9 o'clock something snaps off. This night eating is a problem I really would like some help with. I know they say to keep busy but by night time I really don't want to start doing anything because I'm tired and want to relax.

I am retired and spend some of my days babysitting my grandchildren. I belong to the Y and swim once or twice a week. I cannot do anything high impact because of bad knees. I do go to a lot of concerts and travel with my buddies and spend time on a message board related to the certain celebrity with travel to see. It is a lot of fun and it keeps me young. I have met many friends in the US and Canada with this hobby. People may say I'm crazy, but I don't care; it's too much fun to care.

Anyway, I am hoping to meet new friends here who I can share my daily weight loss struggle. Hopefully, I can help others and others can help me.

Everyone in the path of Sandy, please stay safe.

Talk to you soon,
    Nancela
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and thanks for the invite to the group Alice:) This group is specially designed for me lol. I love to cook and eat of course but now I"m doing it the healthy way. My name is Angela and I'm 47 years old. I've been doing mfp now for over 600 days and I love it! I have lost the weight and am keeping it off by logging my food everyday. I also found I love to exercise. I sure wouldn't have guessed that would ever happen! I cook all the time and I'm always looking for healthy recipes. I made a delicious spinach tortellini soup tonight and it was healthy and low calorie:) This is a lifestyle change for me and not a diet. Look forward to getting to know you ladies better. Good luck and here's to a healthier us!!
  • Rhyannyn
    Options
    Hello everyone and thanks very much for the invitation to the group!

My name is Lynne and I joined MVP some time ago. Just turned 60 this year and getting healthier has been a slower process than I would like. I've really struggled over the past 5 years or so, and although I feel like I'm much healthier in my food choices the weight-loss is a big battle. My husband was diagnosed as Celiac last year, so big changes to our eating habits have already taken place.

I'm not giving up though and will continue to work on being healthier! Nice to meet you all and I look forward to reading your posts.
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello and thank you for the invitation!

I live in Walnut Creek, CA in the SF Bay Area. I am a 62 year old widow. My husband passed away 4 years ago after 32 years of marriage. I have one daughter. She is 34 and is an administrator of a special education school. She is married and I have 3 grandpuppies. Hope for grandchildren one day!

I retired two years ago and have dedicated my time to getting the weight off and getting healthy.

Like some of you I have purchased every diet book and tried many diet plans over the years. I could tell you the history of WW since I have joined many times since 1969. Last year I did much research and decided that eating plant-based (vegan) was the way to go. I started in September 2011 with a 21 day Vegan Kickstart. After one year I feel better than I have in years. I have lost 44 lbs (30 since joining MFP), my skin and hair are in terrific shape and I have so much energy. I was so surprised to find out how easy it was. It does take some planning but the resources are out there. I also had to learn to avoid vegan "junk food" too. My non-vegan friends have been very supportive.

I am using every tool I can to get the weight off and to build a healthy lifestyle. I love MFP and I also use a Fitbit. I do not use a HRM as I am on meds for my heart and my rate is slowed. I am a Kaiser health plan member and have a wellness coach and a nutritionist that they have provided.

I work out now 6 days per week for at least one hour and I aim for 7 hours of sleep each night. This month I have added meditation and am working on eating mindfully...

So when I lunch, I lunch plant-based.
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite! I love good food, and I love good wine. I manage a wine tasting room in Mendocino County so I am around wine all day.
    I am 42 years old and am ready to lose weight. I have two boys, 16 and 12. They are awesome! I have been married to my bestie for 22 years this year. He is, of course, super handsome and totally fit! He is a great man who loves and supports me and is attracted to me in all of my sizes.
    My guys are all really active, and I realize that I just cannot eat the same meals as they do. So I am working on that!
    The Insanity workout is in the mail, and I am super excited to get started!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the invite. This group is awesome! My name is Skyla and I'm 47 years old and live in Ohio. I have 2 grown children and 1 grandson. I lost 45 lbs with WW about 6 years ago. Needless to say, I gained it all back. I joined WW in Jan and MFP in Feb of this year. I've lost 25 lbs since then. Lately, I've fallen off the wagon and have gained about 8 lbs back. I love to cook, but the sad thing is I love to eat. I just got back from vacation this past weekend and decided that there will be no more excuses. I love to walk. I walk a lot. I also do some home videos which I love. I'm so glad to be a member of this group. I'm sure I will find tons of motivation and support, and I hope I can also motivate some of you.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Joan and I'm 46. I live in Southern California, about 40 miles east of L.A. I am married with two kids - an 8 year-old daughter and a 14-year old son. My husband and I have our own business with 6 other employees and (thankfully) lots of work. Which is good, but stressful. Weight-wise, I'm in my range, (but in the mid to higher end) and I'm kind of squishy - or "soft" as my doctor says. I can pretty much tame my portion sizes most days, but sometimes have a hard time making healthier choices.
    I don't have the same goals that most younger gals have - of course I want to look better - but I want to be healthier, feel better (I'm tired and cranky alot LOL) and I want to be stronger. I have a weak back and now that I'm older my joints snap, crackle and pop quite a bit.
    Lately, I keep yo-yoing the same 4 or 5 lbs. up and then down again (I"m currently is a very sssllllooowwww downward trend).
    I like to cook, but during the school year we are so busy it's hard to thik of fairly quick, healthy meals that EVERYONE will like. For example, today we just had spaghetti and (fronzen) meatballs w/Prego spaghetti sauce and frozen garlic pretty. Pretty pre-fabbed food.
    For exercise, I've been running. I started with the C25K program, and eventually ran my 1st 5k in September. I plan to run another one after Thanksgiving.
    Thank you for inviting me to this group. I am looking forward to participating in it.
  • cawoods1
    cawoods1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to the group. Gladly accept the invite!!! :happy:

I am in my late 40's approaching the big 50 within 2 years. I am married to my best friend, who is supporting me in my getting healthy journey. I decided it was time for a change and one of my close friends introduced me to MFP. So far I have enjoyed the support and feel safe in this space discussing my challenges and celebrating my victories.. This is taking me out of my comfort zone. I am sharing my diary...sometimes I am good, other times I am not so good. But the bottom line is I am doing this for me. I have decided to make a change....this is the first step.

I hope to encourage others and have a good time while losing the weight. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Peace and love to all on this journey! :flowerforyou:
  • JustSinging
    JustSinging Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi.... my name is Irenia but most people just call me Rena....I am in my mid 40's but in my mind...I really don't believe it, well that is until I look in the mirror and wonder who that middle aged woman is looking back at me.
    I am married and have 1 child
    I live in Indiana...only God knows why. I so dislike the cold and the snow....I really should have been a southern girl but here I am for some reason or other.
    I love the arts....pretty much all of them and crafts as well.
    I am full of energy
    I joined my fitness pal because a family memeber really needed to loose some wieght and I had a few pounds that I didnt like and figured it would be an encouragment to them if I went on the journey with them....
    So that is about all I can think of at the moment....
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi All, just joined the group tonight. Lost 14 pounds since I joined MFP since July with about 60 pounds to go until I hit my goal weight. Lately, I haven't lost any weight (for about a month). My goal is to lose 1 pound a week. I need to get back on track and I think this group may help me. I've been following Choose to Lose and thought I was on my way to my goal...now I'm a little discouraged. Part of the reason that I think I've slowed down is because the last 3 weeks have been crazy busy at work - I have one more week of craziness then I think I can return to giving my diet the focus it needs and deserves.It's been so busy I haven't had time to track my calories consistently during the day and then too exhausted at night. And I also need to get back to exercising consistently again.

Personally, I have a 16 year old son and I'm a single mom - have been for the last 7 years. Not unhappy being single, probably because I've been so busy being a mom and supporting my son and myself. I like my down time, my quiet time. Lately, however, been starting to want to get out there again but don't want to date until I lose enough wait to not feel embarrassed undressed!

I also want to be healthy. Just with losing 14 pounds, I feel so much better. I even climbed the 3 flights of stairs up to my office today - haven't felt like doing that in a looong time. I think I can do this but I've failed so many times through the years in losing this weight that I'm scared that I might fail again.

Looking forward to learning from you ladies! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Chellbelle60
    Options
    Hello I am Michelle from Melbourne Australia. I am 52, five feet tall and have been on the weight roller coaster all my life! Am currently looking to lose 15 kgs ( umm about 40 pounds) and finding it very frustrating as i am putting in lots of hard work but losing very little but you have to be patient (sigh!). Anyway I have two kids at home and a husband, two cats and am a school librarian. I love MFP and the lovely people I have met here. I am on the straight and narrow with all the logging and exercise and I love hearing about others efforts too.

Look forward to hearing everyone's news,

Cheers
    Michelle
  • marciat100
    marciat100 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Alice and all :)
    This is a great group. I feel honored to be so close to you all in this virtual world!
    I am Marcia, 48 years old, married, one son (13). We currently live in Bellevue, WA.
    I've joined MFP 60 days ago (logging every day :)). I found MFP as a Fitbit application. I've been using Fitbit since May and it has been helping me to learn more about myself.
    In 2008 I did the Dukan Diet, when I lost 50 pounds. I reached 155 pounds at that time. I was able to keep my weight for about 2 years, when my symptoms of menopause intensified. I got back some weight and I am now 179.
    In July-2012 I started the bio-identical hormones treatment, and I am feeling great (I am going to a Naturopath doctor). Together with vitamins, fish oil I got back my energy.
    Even if controlling calories, the weight is flat.
    Started the 30 Day Shred exercise about 23 days ago, feeling very well.
    I really think that the participation in MFP and now in this great group will promote great experiences sharing.
    Let's keep it running :)
    Marcia (marciat100 because my goal is to live 100 years healthy and lucid)
  • bestopinal
    bestopinal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - new, thank you for the invitation.

I am a mom of 4, learned to like running though I never did before. It is all due to having some really great inspiration.
    Hope you are all well.

Beth
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Hello Dahlings! Here's the lowdown:

54 yrs of youth
    5'2" of energy (sometimes)
    mother of 2 grownups (tall dark and handsome)
    wife of father of 2 grownups (tall dark and handsome)
    sometimes artist
    semi-retired homemaker
    retired equestrian
    aspiring golfer
    trying to keep the balance (post menopause)
    sniffling nose (first cold of the season, ugh!)

Thanks for the invite.
    where's the wine?
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, thanks for the invite.

I was 43 on Sunday and have twin boys who were 5 on Saturday.

I have been on MFP for over a year now and with the help of exercise and people on here I have lost and mostly kept off 23lbs. I had my appendix out in July so wasn't able to exercise for a while and have put back on 5lbs but I am aiming to loose this before christmas.

I love to bake (my weakness) but as my kids are growing I can indulge this more now and eat less of it. I baked 3 birthday cakes for them in the last two weeks and only had one slice from each so that's not too bad. It used to be half the cake.

Looking forward to chatting and sharing recipes.

Jackie
  • hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Holly and thanks for inviting me to the group! I am 45 years old, originally from Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. I have lived for the past 20 years in Germany where I am married (to a German), with two very cute little girls, 8 and 9.
    Professionally I work in personnel development - I do a lot of corporate training which means I have to get up in front of groups a lot. I usually really love it - but every now and then I have that special event that scares the pants off of me - feeling good about myself and looking good can only help in such times.

I went on my first diet when I was seven years old (Weight Watchers). That is kind of weird, I know, but my Mom (who was a model) and all three of my sisters were naturally very thin and lanky. I was not. By today´s standards I don´t think anyone would think I had a serious problem - cause, well, it is kind of extreme for a 7-year-old to WANT to go to Weight Watchers. But it did teach me a lot about eating healthy and watching portions. WW, then, was totally different. Everything was weighed and very strict with was allowed and not allowed.

I really didn´t have any weight issues the rest of my life. I mean, of course, I was always dreaming about being thinner, occasionally actually trying to lose weight - but nothing drastic. Then I had kids and put on about 20 pounds. The interesting thing was that immediately after I had had my second daughter, I actually looked pretty good. It was then the stress of having a newbord and an 18-month-old that really drove me to the cookies. I put the weight on AFTER the pregnancies.

My eating habits changed. I would eat what was on the kids plates. I NEVER made time to exercise. I was a little frustrated. And, well, that is how those 20 pounds stuck around for 8 years.
    I joined MFP in about April 2012. I had a really big event coming up and thought "if I could only loose a couple of pounds in the next two weeks...". Well I did and realized how truly "easy" it was if I really wanted to. Since then I think I´ve lost about 10 pounds, Not really sure because I have a thing about scales. But I look pretty good now, I think, and many have noticed the changes.

I love MFP cause it keeps me in check. I love to read the success stories too. I´m looking forward to this group...
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hello and thanks for for invite to this group.

My name is Mary, I'm 55 years young and live in western New York. No kids, One wonderful boyfriend, no pets. I love to cook/bake , sail and travel. So I'm always on the look out for healthy recipes. I've been heavy ALL my life, so for my 54th birthday I gave myself the gift of getting fit....it's been quite the journey..currently down about 50lbs. Basically in maintence mode. I'm lifting heavy and getting stronger. Finished(running) my first 5k. Looking for new challenges, friends and support.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello! Thanks so much for the invitation to join the group!

I'm Mary, 45 and from Southern Wisconsin. My husband and I have 2 wonderful daughters, and I have worked from home since our oldest was 6 months old. It's a challenge balancing everything; work, household, helping out at school etc., but it is so worth it.

I've been a member of MFP for about a year and a half, and recently reset my ticker as kind of a kick in the pants to get myself going again. I have lost about 65 pounds since the before picture in my profile was taken, with 30 of it being lost last year. This year I have made a lot of progress in fitness, but not much in weight loss.

Looking forward to being a member of the group!