3 lessons learned...

Options
1) Excessive running and manscaping are not harmonious activities

2) Since I run in what is basically a circle, I change directions with every song change so I destroy my knees symetrically

3) Food will always win and someday I'll get tired of fighting it. But not today... and probably not tomorrow either.

Replies

• MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My three lessons are:

1. It's possible to be overweight and starving, so EAT. No, not bacon. Eat a vegetable or something.

2. Swimming only looks easy. Man, is it a workout.

3. Stretch before a run. Physical therapy isn't fun.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My 3 lessons are:
    1: Fat is not bad for you.
    2: working out is fun.
    3: cake has a ridiculous amount of calories
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    1. Skip food you won't really enjoy, save the cals for the good stuff.
    2. Pick a simple reasonable activity schedule, know what you are doing on what days, and then just commit to doing it.
    3. When I am active, I can pretty much eat mostly the same way I did when I was fat and inactive. I'd rather give up some inactive sitting time than give up food.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    1. Don't wait for the circumstances to be perfect. Just start now and do what you can.
    2. Have a backup plan.
    3. If you don't have time to exercise, you still have time to control your calories.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    damn I thought of more, and I don't know how I'd rank them.

Log every day, even if you have to half *kitten* it, or make some wild guesses. Log on off days. Don't do it as a way to make yourself feel punished or restricted, do it because in a month, or three, or six, you'll wish you had the data to review. (Short Version: Don't fear the red numbers)

Expect scale fluctuations UP and down and record them. Again. Data. You'll probably want it later. (Short version: The ups are part of the process.)
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1) You're not alone.
    2) Do it for yourself, in your own way, in your own time.
    3) It takes guts to be the fat guy running or working out. It's a heck of a lot better than being glued to the couch.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1. You can't force anyone into doing this with you
    2. Take progress pictures so you can see what you've accomplished
    3. If you question how bad (calorically) the food is, don't eat it.
  • DiasphoraGirl
    Options
    1. The calorie intake is more than enough if you eat LOTS of veggies.
    2. Drinking water makes it so much easy.
    3. i KNOW your excited but, Dont tell anyone that you are starting a new weightloss plan at the beggining of the process PLEASE wait till is part of your routine.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1. I am a whole lot stronger than I think I am - I should stop underestimating myself
    2. Discovering new healthy food is the most amazing thing ever.
    3. Pizza, chips & curry sauce are my Kryptonite
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    1. Don't let the stupid things people say about how much "better you look now" get you down. They are trying to compliment you, take it and go. You were gorgeous even when you were 80 lbs heavier, I promise.

2. Your mind will take a while to catch up to your weight loss. Stop doubting that you can fit into that size whatever, and try the damn thing on.

3. Be proud of yourself, you are doing this. Every day, every time you say no to a cheeseburger, every time you say yes to the gym. Every time you log. YOU are doing this. For goodness sake, be proud of that.
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1. You are the only one that can make you happy
    2. Other peoples opinions are theirs not yours
    3. loving yourself is the first step for anything
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1. If you're going to do it, then commit to it. Fully.

2. Every little thing contributes. Walking up the escalator (healthier and faster too!), walking the long way, doing squats in the office (yes I do, but I have a cubicle so it's not like I'm doing walking lunges around the office XD)

3. Self-esteem is key. You gotta love yourself.
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
    2.I have to do this for me and no one else.
    3. There's a runner in this body just dying to get out!
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    1. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
    2.I have to do this for me and no one else.
    3. There's a runner in this body just dying to get out!

Your 3 are exactly what I'm thinking!!
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My 3

1. Exercise alone won't do it, Nutrition is vital!
    2. Doing this for anyone other than myself is pointless
    3. What works for you may not work for me, you are not as big an expert as you think you are about MY physiology!
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1. Don't let the stupid things people say about how much "better you look now" get you down. They are trying to compliment you, take it and go. You were gorgeous even when you were 80 lbs heavier, I promise.

2. Your mind will take a while to catch up to your weight loss. Stop doubting that you can fit into that size whatever, and try the damn thing on.

3. Be proud of yourself, you are doing this. Every day, every time you say no to a cheeseburger, every time you say yes to the gym. Every time you log. YOU are doing this. For goodness sake, be proud of that.

LOVE THESE!!!
  • fruity2
    fruity2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1. Wine is not a fruit

2. Chocolate can keep you sane as well as boosting the feel good hormones

3. When I exercise my butt off I can have both 1 & 2
  • mfe0829
    Options
    1. Wine is not a fruit

2. Chocolate can keep you sane as well as boosting the feel good hormones

3. When I exercise my butt off I can have both 1 & 2

Amen sister!:smile:
  • cknight30064
    cknight30064 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1) Though it may not seem like it, experience shows that it actually feels so much better to work out than it does to sit and do nothing.

2) A lot of people are jerks... but the look on their faces when you prove that you're better than them is priceless. The look on your own face is even better.

3) If you feel like Hawkeye and Black Widow are on the inside, screaming for you to get in shape and let them out, it's probably a good idea to do it and not piss off 2 master assassins. (This one will probably forever just apply to me hehe)