Trying to exercise with Fibromyalgia

Options
rjoberg
rjoberg Posts: 3 Member
For the past few years I have been gaining weight and becoming less and less active due to constant fatigue and pain. I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in August which explained alot but I'm still struggling through the exhaustion and aches that I get even just from a short walk. Is anyone else dealing with this? How did you get any momentum going? I feel like if I can just get started I'll start to feel better and then will continue to improve. I used to be extremely fit and active but now I'm just so frustrated and the extra 30 pounds I'm carrying are not helping. I'd love any suggestions.

Replies

• Midwest_Yankee
    Midwest_Yankee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dealt with lack of motivation when I was heavier. My joints and muscles ached and I felt like sleeping all the time. The only thing that got me motivated was to walk somewhere beautiful or somewhere that I could focus on anything except how bad I was feeling like a festival. I also did gardening and yard work. I was really sore the next day, but seeing the positive results were motivating to me. I hope you find something that helps.
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my friend suffers from the same thing, she found exercising in a pool was best. She does water aerobics and swims laps. She also cut out the gluten and found that made her less inflamed, and she quit eating foods with artificial colors, flavors etc.

In short, natural foods and swimming. She is like a new person!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Prior to May, I was in severe pain and could barely do 10-15 min walk in but I just kept trying. I was soooooooooooooooo tired all the time that I could barely function. I felt like I had no life, my kids are both really active in sports and I work full time plus I was taking a full load of college courses. One day I realized it was going to be up to me to deal with it and make some different decisions. I began to carefully look at the foods I was eating (tons of crap) and I began to exercise. Yes I was tired and in pain and if I could only do 10 minutes then it was 10 minutes. I just kept trying every night do do something, anything. After about 2 weeks I really had made progress and I spent the summer swimming and riding my bike because those hurt less than walking. Please evaluate your foods, your medications (are you on the right one that works best for you?) and just do whatever you can to move even if it's only for a few minutes. I still have pain in my back but hardly any in my knees and none in my feet anymore. I've lost over 60lbs and I physically and mentally have never felt better. Last but not least reach out to your support group (family, friends, peeps on MFP). We are here for you!
  • caramalo
    Options
    I, too, found that you just have to do it, even if it is just ten minutes. The more you do it the longer you will be able to do it. Good luck. I have had fibromyalgia for thirteen years and am 49 years old. You can do it, I now am able to do an hour on the treadmill six times per week.