Controlling PCOS

Greetings!

After commenting on a few post with the same advice, I decided to write my own posts.

While I don't struggle with my weight, I do struggle with my periods and excessive hair (-_-). I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago (im 24 now). I have cycst around both ovaries. I've been around the block trying to control my PCOS.

METFORMIN: This is only worth the extreme stomach ache and nausea if you are trying to conceive. Doctors prescribe this for us because most PCOS women are insulin resistant. Metformin is a diabetic drug that regulates insulin. You regulate a PCOS insulin, she ovulates BOOM...you have yourself a period. I however was not successful with ovulating because I was not able to stay on it long enough because of the extreme nausea it causes. It seems most of the women who have the will to stay on this route are trying to conceive.

BIRTH CONTROL: Birth control was WONDERFUL...until i gained 15lbs (-_-). After a year I was done. SO WHAT NEXT!?

I just so happen to discover i have a Gluten intolerance, so I went Gluten free. This naturally geared me towards eating food with a low glycemic index. And I work out 5 times a week (to lose and now keep off the weight I gained from birth control). AND THEN SOMETHING AMAZING HAPPENED: I had two periods in 3 months! Now y'all know how big of a success that is. Most of us only have 1 period every three months when not on birth control.

SO HERE'S MY ADVICE TO YOU: GLUTEN FREE; LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX FOODS; EXERCISE= HAPPY OVARIES, LESS PRONOUNCED SYMPTOMS, EASIER TIME ACHIEVING WEIGHT GOALS!

Replies

• lovelyssbeauty
    lovelyssbeauty Posts: 4 Member
    I'm 19 years old and after dealing with the different symptoms of PCO I was FINALLY diagnosed yesterday. It's such an amazing feeling to know I'm not ALONE.
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks so much for sharing your story and success, I think I will give the gluten free thing a shot. I mostly eat low glycemic anyways, but maybe going the whole way will actually get me regular because I don't like to be on the pill either. :)
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Totally! BTW feel free to add me if you like. I am gluten AND dairy free (fun fun fun!) which I find goes a long way to help everything work as it should. I also find intense exercise 5 days or so a week with low sugar diet restored my periods. I seem to be the only one on these boards who doesn't have a problem with metformin though!
  • You're welcome ladies. It was my pleasure to share.
  • desilou23
    desilou23 Posts: 13 Member
    Im good with Metformin, actually brought back my period. I still have all the other issues though. I put up with the stomach issues.........they dont bother me enought to stop
  • kellison89
    kellison89 Posts: 33 Member
    It sounds wonderful that you have had success without medication. That is my ultimate goal! I actually lost weight just from starting the pill (could be that I had more energy from not having a constant period). However, now I have plateaued. That brings me to MFP. I have a long road to go, but this has really inspired me.