New to gluten free

Options
I've been battling weight for the past 12 years after I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 1999 I went from being a malnourished size six in 2001 to a huge size 24 in 2002 I'm now at the bottem of a size 16 after my two babies but always had problems with the diariah, bloating, cramps, and headaches. Have had multiple colonoscopies which the last one just showed scar tissue but I still had problems with the symptoms. I had started doing some research and realized that crohns and celiac sometimes go hand in hand and one can be misdiagnosed for the other. Decided to go gluten free for a couple days but broke down and had one piece of pizza. It was like my intestines were mad at me and punished me for that one piece. So now I need help! A German who loves her dough but likes being healthy better! So help I'm at 218 and I need to get way lower than that and have no idea what's good and not good for me!

Replies

• jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    We used to joke in my family that it was ironic half of us were gluten in tolerant and we're Italian...turns out it is really common in Italy. I feel for you, bread and pasta is huge in my family, now it's all gluten free.

When you are first GF I suggest eating naturally gluten free foods, lots of fruits and veggies and meats. Read the ENTIRE ingredient list for everything you put in your mouth.

Mood swings are totally normal for the first week or two...possibly longer as your body detoxes.
  • cmbb_jenner
    Options
    I've noticed that sleeping isn't coming so easy.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear what you have been through, and can feel your pain!

On day 3 of being gluten free, I was nearly manic with with draw. I read that this could happen, It was my only sanity savor. I was 'craving' food I don't even LIKE!!!!
    Yes, if you 'cheat' once you go GF your body will tell you in the worst possible way, never to do that again!

Please note, if you are Celiac, eating gluten is not just going to give you distress and bathroom visits, it is going to do DAMAGE to your small intestine. It isn't just a matter of, I will cheat and run to the bathroom.... its a matter of your life and entire health.
    If you think of it that.... if I eat this gluten it will kill me.... maybe you would have less desire to have a taste.

I will warn you that a lot of people substitute GF products... and gain!!! I agree that if you want to lose weight and be healthy, eat food in its natural state. Meat, veggies (without sauces in the package) and fruits.
    If you want a sauce, make it yourself at home. Then you know what is actually in it.

I also battled my weight, before going GF. No matter what I did, I couldn't lose. After going GF I discovered I had a corn allergy too. Cutting these out of my diet, I just ate like a pig on unprocessed foods and began to melt away. I made the personal decision to go totally grain free. I feel better than I have all my life, and after 10 months, I don't even remember what those things taste like. I wouldn't go back to eating grains if I could. I truly do not miss it!!!!

As for the sleep, try B 12. I know people take shots of it for energy, but believe me if you are low on it, getting enough does help sleep.

Good luck to you!
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Does anyone know why the mood swings happen? I can understand the headaches I’m having but the mood swings are really freaking me out. I’m not even this irritable or emotional during my period, but I’m just not finding anything that tells me why these seem to happen. Is it more the psychological change and the frustration trying to find things that are gluten free or realizing there are things you really do have to give up for good, or is it actually something physiological happening? I can’t find anything online really (or just not looking in the right places).

I feel like an absolute mess this week (my first week GF) and I feel like maybe it’s more psychological and triggered more so when I think about all the things I can’t eat. But it’s very out of character for me to be like this, and the fact that it’s feeling “uncontrollable” is really bothering me.
  • cmbb_jenner
    Options
    Because if the crohns my intestines are already bad. And the mood swings I here you and right now the cravings are awful. I know if will get better and I have to push thru and its worth it but it sucks. I don't want to do to many of the gf products I want to give my insides time to heal. This will just make me stronger.
  • taureanbuddhist
    taureanbuddhist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hubby has Crohns and I have recently started having issues with Gluten so we are in the process of weeding out Gluten right now...I am not excited for the de-tox even though I am excited for the bloating, cramping, etc to go away lol :) We already do a lot of cooking from scratch and whole foods...I am hoping to transition into a more fully Paleo palate soon!
  • cmbb_jenner
    Options
    I don't wish crohns on anyone. Good luck!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Depending on how severe your reactions are/were, there are definitely ways that gluten affects the brain.

Here's a quick quote:

"How does depression relate to the damage done to the small intestine in celiac disease? The intestinal damage wrought by celiac disease prevents absorption of essential nutrients that keep the brain healthy, especially zinc, tryptophan, and the B vitamins. These nutrients are necessary for the production of essential chemicals in the brain such as serotonin, a deficiency of which has been linked to depression.

In particular, low zinc levels have been linked to depression. In addition to keeping the immune system strong and the memory sharp, zinc plays an important role in the production and use of neurotransmitters-brain chemicals that help modulate mood. This is why low levels of zinc have been linked to major depression, and why supplemental zinc enhances the effects of antidepressant medications in many people. A 2009 study found that zinc supplementation significantly reduced depression scores in people who had not been helped by antidepressants in the past."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-breakthrough-depression-solution/201105/is-gluten-making-you-depressed

Essentially, if your body is not absorbing crucial nutrients, then your brain can be affected. My husband experienced quite a few different symptoms (not depression, in his case) such as short-term memory loss and mood swings, and it was a scary time. I remember being quite afraid during that time.

As he has healed all of those symptoms have gone away completely.

Well, except maybe forgetfulness but heck, he is a man. I say he's conveniently forgetful. :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have coeliacs and I get really irritable if I get glutenated - i know part it may be from the pain but the irritability lasts a few days. It one of the sign that I know its gluten rather than my other allergies.

It can be hard the first few months but there are lots of good cook books out there and also plenty of alternatives these days. If anyone wants to add please feel free to do so.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to be gluten free simply because I belive I have alergies to wheat, rice, soy & corn. Probably dairy too amongst some other foods. I have not been diagnosed with anything but for the last few weeks that I've eliminated these particular foods I have'nt been having the issues w/muscle spasms in my back anymore. I am Hypertensive tho' & decided to go low carb to get my blood sugar under control. So while olnline looking for recipes, I came across this blogger named Maria Emmerich @ Maria's Nutritious & Delicious. She's a nutritionalist & have a lot of intersting things to say about how certain foods affect people. She also has links to other bloggers as well as recipes. I'd check her out it just more free info that you may or may not be able to use. My brother had colitis but is now cure by cahnge his eating habits & aloe juice,herbal supplements through Herbalife. A good probiotic may help too.
  • cmbb_jenner
    Options
    I have been doing herbalife since march and I'm also a distributor. It has helped me so much and the aloe is awesome for my bad days! :)