November 2012: The Shallows

Options
AmberJo1984
AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
November's challenge will be "The Shallows" by Nicholas Carr (http://www.amazon.ca/Shallows-Nicholas-Carr/dp/0393339750/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351427628&sr=8-1). Official start day to begin reading is November 1st. If you want to start today, feel free. This will be the official discussion thread for this book.

Replies

• anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I picked up my book from the library today. I'm ready to read. :)

(I'm sure everyone is glad to know this, lol.)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'll be picking up a copy at the library after work today.
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    I'll have my copy after work tomorrow. I meant to get it today... but, got behind.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I picked up a copy from the library yesterday and am just getting the feel if it before we start. I know this sounds weird, but before I read a book, I always look at how it's laid out, the number of chapters, about how many pages per chapter... I read the jacket, the blurbs, the bio and sometimes even the Library of Congress bit on the copyright page! Anyway, looking forward to the group discussion :-)
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My copy should be at the library by tomorrow or Friday. Will pick it up as soon as it arrives at my branch. :)
  • Neraks
    Neraks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Down loaded onto my kindle...will start this weekend. Looking forward to the read :drinker:
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    Just arrived via Amazon to my front door. Looking forward to digging in this weekend! And, of course, the back cover's one-word reviews foretell a good read:

"Eloquent.
    Riveting.
    Rewarding.
    Revelatory.
    Grade: A.
    Absorbing [and] Disturbing.
    Essential.
    Provocative.
    A book everyone should read."

Nice!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Downloading it to my kindle now :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    i know I'm late, but I just got a call from my library letting me know an inter loan came (one that comes from another library out of town...since my library didn't have the book!)

So... I'll be starting on it a week into the month, but I'll have it finished before next month. =)
  • tanyaslosingit
    Options
    I picked up a copy from the library yesterday and am just getting the feel if it before we start. I know this sounds weird, but before I read a book, I always look at how it's laid out, the number of chapters, about how many pages per chapter... I read the jacket, the blurbs, the bio and sometimes even the Library of Congress bit on the copyright page! Anyway, looking forward to the group discussion :-)

I started on November 1 and will finish it tomorrow. I have to say it's a very meta experience, reading about how you're reading! :-D
  • steppingstones
    Options
    [/quote]
  • steppingstones
    Options
    My copy should be at the library by tomorrow or Friday. Will pick it up as soon as it arrives at my branch. :)
    \\

Finally ...inter branch transfer was delayed and picked up book today . Will begin to read tomorrow.
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    I have been unable to find a copy of the book.:sad:

They have no copy at the local library. I will keep looking, though.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I'm having a little trouble getting involved in the book. I"m still on the prologue.
  • tanyaslosingit
    Options
    When is the discussion going to start and who is leading?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I'm having a little trouble getting involved in the book. I"m still on the prologue.

same here. for me a very difficult read!
  • tanyaslosingit
    Options

-- During each month, I will post a forum topic each week of that month to discuss details and thoughts on the book of choice.

Is this still the SOP?
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

-- During each month, I will post a forum topic each week of that month to discuss details and thoughts on the book of choice.

Is this still the SOP?

I saw that someone did post a question topic on this month's read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/787072-chapter-1-have-you-noticed-the-same-symptoms

I have been unable to find a copy of this book near me, and, therefore, have nothing to add to the discussion; but, I am trying to keep up with the posts.