So... I'm weak.

Options
Yesterday, my husband and I went to go join a gym. I was super excited cause I wanted to do the stronglifts program, and my hubby said he'd do it with me. Well, you know how the gym will give you an hour with a trainer for free so that you can see if you want one? My trainer was pretty awesome and was excited that I wanted to do weights instead of cardio. He had never heard of stronglifts but was really supportive. So he said we should do some strength exercises to see where you're at. We did deadlifts w/kettle bells, assisted pull ups, assisted push ups, and the rope thing where you move two heavy ropes as much as you can. O and we did OHP w/ a bar that probably only weighed 2lbs. Now DISCLAIMER: I was rushing after work and just ate two brownies b4 this workout. I almost passed out after we were done. I was doing so good during, but just completely crashed like 10minutes after.... It was a little embarrasing. He even bought me a gaterade cause he felt sorry for me.

Now, I kinda want a trainer, cause I feel like I need one to work toward my goals. But I hate to spend the money. I want to be able to eventually do chin ups, a human flag and cool stuff like that. The trainer said it could take me 9-12 months to get to the point where I could do chin ups. He didn't say, but he probably thinks I will never be able to do a flag. Plus, my form on the deadlifts, OHP, and even my squat form wasn't as good as I thought I was. I mean, I do regularly exercise! I couldn't believe I was that bad. :sad: :embarassed:

I wanted to do stronglifts cause, I realized that I want to be strong. I thought I wanted to be skinnier, but now I see that my weight is fine. I just need to build muscle. He did my weight and body fat%. I'm 5'4 130.6lbs and 20.4% body fat. What should I do? Do I just do stronglifts w/ my hubby and save the money? Do I pay up for the trainer? Or what?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    What was the rep range of what you were doing like? Higher? One thing about barbells vs dumbbells or kettle bells is that because of the way the weight is distributed you are actually stronger using them (I mean obviously not STRONGER but its easier to lift more weight on a barbell). For example, a dumbbell bench press for me might be like, 75 lbs tops (I haven't tested this from a 1rm perspective though) . On the bar, I can do 95. The bar helps stabilize the weight. Also for something like squats it means your arm strength doesn't limit you.

Also - What are your equipment options at that gym like?

Stronglifts is much lower rep than most stuff a trainer will have you do - you MIGHT be ok to start now - and if you have access to bars that are lighter than an oly bar there's absolutely no reason you couldn't start at 20lbs instead of 45 and then again, depending on your options you can get various types of weights (fractional plates or magnetic weights or even wrap 1lb leg or wrist weights around the bar) to increase your weight slowly.

The chin ups thing is a bit harder to say - because we are women we will ALWAYS have a harder time with these. I think you can work up to one though I dont' know how long it will take you. I only started working on chinups specifically 3 months ago (after I finished 3-4 months of stronglifts) and I went from needing 120 lbs of assistance to 90 in that time frame. (I'm using an assistance machine, its supposedly not ideal but its much less of a hassle and I like that i can use small increments to change my effort - I do core strength exercises at other times so it should be fine). So, by that schedule I guess I'll be about 9months to do a single chin up too - but I'm at a HUGE disadvantage because I'm very heavy.

You're much lighter than me - 35 lbs less - so you might be able to do it a BIT sooner, although really it depends a lot on you. I don't think you will know until you get out there and try.

Oh god this was SO long and rambly. Ok um. I think your original question was - trainer or no. And I'd say - no, unless you absolutely cannot lift the bars you have access to (like you only have olympic bars and you can't do 45 lbs) in which case .... maybe. You don't really NEED one to build up strength but they are nice to have if you don't want to fiddle with your own programming. If you want to save the money, you'd probably do just fine by setting yourself up with some basic moves 3x a week - pushups, dumbbell lunges and squats. Trainers are mostly good for two things - motivation (pushing you to do something you didn't think you could) and programming. So ask yourself if you need either of those things. IF the answer is yes, go for it. If not, then don't.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts w/ the hubby! Have him take video and we can help you with your form.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts! Just use a trainer to get comfortable with your form. Don't worry about being weak, you can only go up from here. :flowerforyou:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Starting point - attained!

Now do whatever you think it is that will help you gradually improve. Don't be scared or ashamed, we all literally start somewhere. Just so long as you're moving forward...
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    What's the price of the trainer? Are there other options in your area for a cheaper trainer? Have you shopped around trainers at all yet? I would definitely say go with your gut. I joined a very helpful group of women that is focused on fat loss, but eventually, I want to train with weights and I know I'm going to have to shop around to find a good deal!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I reckon you should do the stronglifts programme with hubby, get a notebook or print the sheet out, fill in your numbers and off you go. I have a really tatty notebook I have been using since April. I never leave home without it.

Personal trainers are good if you want to really push yourself for a short time and can justify the cost, they are expensive, on top of the gym membership, With so many wonderful programmes out there for free, with determination and support, you can achieve the same on your own. You will also feel an added sense of pride doing it yourself.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts w/hubby, you already have a starting point. Watching and taking video are also great ideas.

I found a smartphone app called Lift Big that helps me track the exercises and I dont need to bring a notebook, It also has a timer which is good for me because I am very impatient with rest time.

Good luck!!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    yep as above just get on with the stonglifts with the hubby :smile:

download the stonglifts iphone app. quick and easy for tracking your progress
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Just a side bar on the pull-ups, they are DEFINITELY do-able for women. You just have to get started. Use the assisted machine if you have one and drop the weight each week. Or wrap a resistance band around a regular pull-up bar to give yourself some help. Or put your toes on a chair. There's not really a way to get stronger to do them without just doing them.

I'm up to 6 sets of 10 in my workout now and while the strength gains from SL definitely helped, there's no substitute for just doing it and getting a little stronger and better each time you try.
  • djohnson_143
    djohnson_143 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions! I'm going to do stronglifts w/ my hubby.The cost would be $120/mo for 1 training session a week w/ the trainer on top of my membership. I can't pull that right now.

You all made me feel so much better! I went back to the gym friday and did a routine that my hubby used to do w/ his trainer that his job used to provide for free to their workers. It was challenging so, we will do SL Mon Wed Fri and do his routine Tues Thurs.

His routine was .25mi on a treadmill, 20 crunches w/ one leg up (so 40 in total, 20 weighted walking lunges ( I wused 15lbs), 5 bicep curl ( I used 12lbs) , then assisted pullups (I was at 120).

I'm not too sore. So I will keep you posted on how thing go! THanks again!