Fixed gear bikes

Options
I have recently become more aware of fixed gear bikes and am becoming fascinated. I've seen some you tube videos and watched the documentary Fixation. I just travelled to Savannah, Georgia and saw "fixies" all over the place.

Are there any fixie riders out there? What do you like about them, do you have any recommendations, how would a fixie benefit me as a training modality? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have a Fisher Triton. i like the simplicity about them. Since the gearing is fixed you learn to become one with the bike. As for training, I'm sure it will help you develop your spin. Just remember, going through corners not to cut it close or you will have pedal strike. I learned the hard way on that one. LOL.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have one, Motobecane Fantom Cross, although I don't ride it often and more often free then fixed. I was really surprised to feel the differences in muscle groups being used riding fixed.

Another good movie to watch...... "To live and ride in LA"
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I don't 'get' fixies TBH. I have thought about having a go though...

Most fixies have a 'flip-flop' back wheel don't they; so you can ride fixed or single speed?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of "old school" enough to remember having a fixie as my winter bike - nice low gear to keep you spinning, short cranks to aid ground clearance on corners (and also help with the "souplesse"(sp?) of course) - and as it'd be the "club run" bike, it'd definitely have mudguards and proper brakes. I don't think since last years knee operation that I'm up to riding fixed anymore - especially as it's not particularly flat around here, but if I were in the market for one, I'd be tempted to go for something like the On-One Machinato - bit of a old-school look to it, but still modern-ish on the steering side (i'm not a big fan of quill stems other than for their looks)

CBOOMACDP_P11.jpg
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    They do kind of intrigue me a little bit. I saw a bargain on a Specialized Langster on Craigslist a couple months ago that was such a gorgeous looking bike I would have bought it immediately if it had been even close to my size.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have a frankenfixie which is my old univega (with a biopace!) converted to a fixie - I like it but don't ride it much. I MUCH prefer a single speed Dean that I use.

2257_60101526201_9450_n.jpg

Yes, the front gear is pretty unique.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Most fixies have a 'flip-flop' back wheel don't they; so you can ride fixed or single speed?

Mine does.

68855d0d.jpg
  • CDGolden
    Options

Yes, pretty sure most "flip-flop" fixed/free, mine is........although some will go "fixed/fixed" with different gearing for hills/flats..
  • dtpss188
    Options
    With the Fixed - fixed flip flop option wouldn't you have to change the chain length?
  • CDGolden
    Options
    With the Fixed - fixed flip flop option wouldn't you have to change the chain length?

Fixed or free...most of the frames will have horizontal dropouts and bolt on rear axles....which will allow you to keep the same chain length by positioning the rear hub someplace else in the dropout.....some may also used and eccentric bottom bracket or rear hub to adjust the chain.

quick google image
    3623365046_462426d834.jpg
  • dtpss188
    Options

Fixed or free...most of the frames will have horizontal dropouts and bolt on rear axles....which will allow you to keep the same chain length by positioning the rear hub someplace else in the dropout.....some may also used and eccentric bottom bracket or rear hub to adjust the chain.

quick google image
    3623365046_462426d834.jpg

Very cool! Any recommenations on a bike to purchase? I see some on the 'net for $2 - 4 hundred. I would be concerned that they are crap and I'd tear them up easily. On the flip side, since this would be an extra bike to me, even a semi-frivolous expenditure, I can't see spending $800 for the Specialized Langster. Any thoughts on a reasonable price for a tough enough bike?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you want to try a fixed gear bike you can build a Frankenbike from an old road bike and a hub. My first was about $150, still going.
    The bike that I posted above uses an eccentric hub, on a titanium frame, etc. it's a chunk of change higher.

3207880640_e9bd3776a0.jpg
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have two fixed gear bikes and absolutely love it. One is my winter bike of choice (no gears to wear out, big heavy chain that doesnt mind the road crap so much), the other is used for lightweight summer rides.

the winter bike is geared at about 68", summer one is 75".

riding fixed is amazing, I absolutely love it. There's no messing about worrying about being in the wrong gear, most up hills are faster (honestly!) and downhills are..... exciting! Try it!
  • dtpss188
    Options
    When you are talking about gearing in "inches" what is that... chain length? Thanks!
  • mikes99mail
    Options
    it's the distance the bike travels per rotation of the pedals. If you google for sheldon brown's gear inch calculator, he makes much more sense of it than I can!

(dont compare with the gear you're most comfortable in on your regular bike, fixed is different! Start with about 70" unless you live somewhere really hilly or really flat; leave it there for a couple months then tweak it!)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    it's actually the equivalent height of a old fashioned "penny-farthing"'s big front wheel, rather than the "development" which would be the distance travelled by a single rotation of the wheel...
  • mikes99mail
    Options
    it's actually the equivalent height of a old fashioned "penny-farthing"'s big front wheel, rather than the "development" which would be the distance travelled by a single rotation of the wheel...

stands corrected! Thanks big yin!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Looks like if things go as expected I will be picking up a minty Specialized Langster Moscow this weekend which I found on Craigslist for $350. I blame this thread for finally pushing me over the edge into buying one. :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    This is the nearest I've come to a Fixie these days...

3335797831_126543d52f.jpg

Bit small for me, tbh... though the trendy "belt drive" has a certain appeal :wink:
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ive been riding a single speed for almost a year and my first fixed gear build is almost done, just waiting on a seat. So excited!