Chicago Food geeks?

Options
dan_IRL
dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
Hi All. (first off, not a fan of the term foodies, I prefer food geeks;) )

Anyone into the chicago food scene? I realize it's really hard to be into the culinary amazements that Chicago has to offer AND lose weight and stay healthy.

I'm working on ways to still enjoy the world class restaurants Chicago has AND lose weight and become healthy.

After all that, here is a tip that my wife and I have been employing.

We went to Balena last night. Instead of getting multiple cocktails, bottle of wine, appetizers and separate entries, we split stuff. We each had a pre dinner cocktail, ONE glass of wine with dinner each, split one appetizer, split a small pizza, split a small pasta course and split a small dessert.

We took half of the pizza home. Usually at a nice restaurant we waddle out of there stuffed to the gills, half (or more) drunk and with a BIG receipt from the bill. We both left comfortably satisfied and didn't spend an arm and a leg.

Replies

• chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a food geek. And I better be, considering I'm a chef. Haha. I'm going to be honest about my dining out philosophy: eat healthy, exercise, and die anyway. That being said, when I'm out checking out new restaurants I don't "pig out" but I certainly don't limit myself to what sounds healthiest. I'm one of those types that when I go to a restaurant, I damn near order "one of everything" just to taste it (haha... don't worry other people are with me to partake). I also try to just plan for such indulgences by limiting what I eat other parts of the day.

I'd like to get out more to restaurants but surprisingly not too many of my friends are into going out to eat (to try new places) so I don't do as often as I should, considering I can say I'm doing it for professional development. :-)
  • dan_IRL
    Options
    I agree with that philosphy. I figure if I'm going to go to a new restaurant I'm not going to order a "grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies" I can go to Applebee's for that stuff. Or better yet, just make it at home.

My wife and I usually order a few different things to try. That way we are both getting to try a few more things off the menu and we are not each eating a ginormous plate of just one thing.

We try to limit our dining out experiences to once or twice a month tops. Eating healthy the rest of the time. I feel the same way about my beer and my cheese. I LOVE craft beer and I love good stinky cheeses. I would rather drink one or two really good beers and a few small portions of really good cheese once a week than drink crappy beer and "fat free cheese" many times during the week.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Check out YELP! Good site for food geeks!
  • dan_IRL
    Options
    Check out YELP! Good site for food geeks!

Agreed! Chowhound too

B Double E Double R U N
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vRvW3QUys
  • alottamoxie
    alottamoxie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dont forget the nice folks at the LTH Forums...

The husband and I are kind of foodies - we've done the super high end (ridiculous calorie) things like Paris at Next - and loved every flipping minute of it.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i am very into the local food and restaurant scene. also big into craft beer, cocktails, and whiskey. i go out regularly and try to enjoy the magnificence that is the chicago food scene as much as i can. you just have to remember one meal won't make you fat any more than one salad will make you thin.

eta - always on the lookout for new friends to check our restaurants with!
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I yelp all the time. Feel free to check me out/add me

Dahllywood.

Cheers!
  • jena813
    jena813 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love Chicago food!! :)

Its such an awesome city
  • samisad0rk
    Options
    My husband and I are total food geeks. We haven't had the chance to really check out a lot of the food scene since we moved here in August, as we were cash strapped for a few months. However, we are absolutely the gourmet-at-home types!

When we first met, I lived in Indiana and he lived in Minnesota, and we met in-person for the first time in Chicago. Our first actual date was at MK about 4 years ago. Yum! Who knew we would end up moving here a few years later after getting married!
  • ibelieveinlove7
    ibelieveinlove7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are total food geeks! Also always looking for people to experiment with!
  • ohwelldone
    Options
    Another food/restaurant nerd up in here! Just went to the Publican again on Saturday and it was amazing as usual. I have a rotating list of places I need to try!
  • dan_IRL
    Options
    I finally hit up Little Goat this last weekend. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. I think the "diner food taken up a few notches" concept is cool only in concept.

I would rather just go to the Girl and the Goat or a greasy spoon diner. Not try and combine the two.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think I ate my weight in that killer monkey bread at The Bristol last night.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    I finally hit up Little Goat this last weekend. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. I think the "diner food taken up a few notches" concept is cool only in concept.

I would rather just go to the Girl and the Goat or a greasy spoon diner. Not try and combine the two.

i'm not a big fan of girl and the goat. i was very unimpressed by my experiences there. i feel like you can get a similar style of food at a better price at purple pig.
  • dan_IRL
    Options
    Tried out http://www.tabledonkeystick.com/ Table Donkey and Stick last night. Tried to go to Parson's but the wait was over three hours. TDS was really good. Had some really good cocktails, some cheeses, forced meats and some sandwiches. All were amazing. THe back patio was really pretty too. Service was top notch as well.
  • MichaeltheMarine
    MichaeltheMarine Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Finally a discussion that I can enjoy being a part of ! I am a total "food geek," just don't have anyone to experience with. If anyone is in the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area...hit me up!!! :)
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Where is little goat? I tend to eat like a goat,will I blend in?
  • dan_IRL
    Options
    Where is little goat? I tend to eat like a goat,will I blend in?

Little Goat Diner and Bread is on Randolph and Halsted right across from Girl and the Goat. They also have a Little Goat Bread booth with bagels and sandwiches in the French Market at Oglivie Train Station.

http://www.littlegoatchicago.com/