just need to vent

Options
parmoute
parmoute Posts: 99 Member
Hi everyone, I just need to vent. I've needed to vent a lot lately--to the extent that I've even considered starting a blog here within MFP--but this seemed like the safest place to get started. I have insomnia, anxiety and depression (and PMDD, but it isn't that time of the month so can't blame that), though for now the depression is in remission. The insomnia, however, has taken on a life of its own and it's significantly interfering with my ability to conduct mine. The anxiety isn't too bad, but my brain is significantly overactive at all hours of the day. I'm being evaluated for ADHD on the 12th. I see a psychiatrist every three weeks and a therapist every week, so I'm getting the professional help I need, but the situation is really starting to drag me down. I'm tired all the time and even though my psychiatrist just gave me a new prescription (Trazadone), I don't really want to take it because it is very important to me to figure out how to treat it holistically; I see the pill as a band-aid, not a real solution. In the meantime I've been eating at (or above?) maintenance, have mostly stopped working out and have been napping a lot trying not to feel so tired all the time. I've been too tired to shop or cook, so the quality of what I'm eating hasn't been so great.

There are some days when I feel like I can conquer this and with enough diligence we will find a solution somehow, but there have been more days where I'm discouraged. I've tried several times in the last two weeks to begin a "new plan" to eat better, to exercise again, and to generally take care of and be nice to myself. I feel like I can't even get started. Today is yet another 'starting point': I have finally finished building my sleep journal (I also have a Zeo for measuring sleep quality objectively), I made myself work out today and I've designed a menu that, while not perfect, is a lot better than how I have been eating. I've been on the message boards looking for inspiration and today it's just not coming. I'm generally not this down about my health: I have lost 27 pounds in the last 4 months and I'm proud of that. I went through a phase of buying new clothes because I'd lost enough weight that I could, and it made me feel really good. Many times when I walk past a mirror I stop and look at myself and say "great job!" but I think I've just been too tired for too long now and that positive energy is harder and harder to maintain.

Maybe in a few days this slump will pass and I'll feel good again, but for right now I'm feeling unusually discouraged. Unfortunately, the discouragement is already affecting other areas of my life and I'm generally discouraged about being able to successfully take care of myself as a whole, not just in the food/workout/weight loss department. If you have any advice, I'm happy to listen; if you'd like to help keep me on track (so far so good but this is where I tend to fall off), definitely send a friend request; if you just want to tell me you can relate, I do feel better knowing I'm not alone; and if none of the above, then thanks for at least letting me vent!

Replies

• daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    For insomnia I have found I have to cut out naps. After I did that I sleep ALL night. I loved my naps but then I didn't sleep well at all and I would hear my hubby snoring and that would make me even more agitated. My brain is overactive too. When I remember, if I put a rubber band around my wrist and snap it, it will "snap" me out of it or if I don't have a rubber band I will just flick my wrist with my finger. It just gives me that startle I need to calm down. Taking a brisk walk helps too. Exercise is important. It helps release "happy hormones". Someone else could give you a more scientific term. You are definitely not alone. I have many ups and downs. My exercise is way better than my eating. But I've come a long way and this part is taking awhile. You can do it. There is great support on here. I am sending you a friend request.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hang in there love. For starters, you are NOT alone. And good for you for being proactive and getting the help you need to keep yourself in check. Hang in there. *Hugs*
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the support!
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to what you are saying. I am going through a period of extreme insomnia, likely due to Seroquel withdrawal and I feel like there is no hope in sight. I am so tired during the day, I fall asleep at work, I'm afraid to drive because I am just so tired, I can sit down at the computer and fall asleep sitting up in my chair.

I too am struggling to stay on track. I find that when I'm tired I really crave sugar and I've been giving in to those cravings a lot. I have been exercising daily for months but am now skipping workouts because I am just too exhausted to exercise. I've lost 20 pounds so far and I only have another 10 to go but I have completely lost all motivation right now...it's hard to care about anything when you are so wiped out.

I wish I had some advice to offer...all I can say is that I understand how you must be feeling and it sucks. I hope you start to sleep well soon.